Page 1 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2005, 9:36 pm

Do any of you ever find the bible nearly impossible to understand with all o the symbolism and stuff. I was wondering if any of you ever think that an aspie/autie bible would be a good thing for someone to create explain all that symbolism and stuff.
Bryan

Last edited by Endersdragon on 20 Jun 2005, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2005, 9:41 pm

Well, yes. Execpt for the fact that the different Christrian traditions have different interpetations.

I have a study Bible. There is actually more introductions, maps, footnotes and end notes in it than Bible!

BeeBee

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2005, 9:53 pm

I agree, the Bible is so hard to understand, with the olive trees and candlesticks, and dragons and three headed monsters and such :? Interpreted literally, half of the Bible sounds like some sort of surreal nightmare. I wouldn't be for tampering with the Bible, though. The Bible is the Bible, and it shouldn't be added to. I think that maybe a seperate book, a guide with many of the most credible interpretations of the figurative parts of the Bible. I don't know, but it's a very good idea you had :D I hope eventually someone does something like this!

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2005, 10:42 pm

I never bother reading, and I sort of lost my Bible again about a month or two ago. When the preacher preaches he explains the symbolism fairly well. It is confusing though, if I try reading on my own.

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2005, 11:06 pm

Another aspie Christian here. I don't really know how to help you with the symbolism, but then again I hold to a pretty literal view of the Bible.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2005, 11:17 pm

Lol sarcastic posted his 666 post about Christainity lol.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2005, 12:58 am

Symbolism can be confusing for me at times, but I've got a Bible that has lots of footnotes. With enough study time, it will become easier to figure out what the symbolism means in each circumstance.

Mockingbird wrote:
I agree, the Bible is so hard to understand, with the olive trees and candlesticks, and dragons and three headed monsters and such Interpreted literally, half of the Bible sounds like some sort of surreal nightmare.

Well, in some cases the surreal nighmarish symbolism actually refers to events that actually were, and in some cases will be a surreal nighmare. Also, the symbolism of the monsters in the end times is probably the most analyzed of the Bible's metaphors and there's lots of information on it.

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2005, 1:21 am

Most analyzed and perhaps most disagreed upon.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2005, 4:37 am

Tim_p wrote:
Most analyzed and perhaps most disagreed upon.

There is such a thing as a generally accepted orthodox veiw on the symbolism, but debates arise when smaller details get scrutinized.

pizzaboss
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2005, 12:44 pm

Yes, the bible is hard for me to understand. However, I believe it and it has meaning in my life.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2005, 3:58 pm

I am personally atheist, myself. But I have had discussions about this. I had heard one time that Jesus chose to speak with such inordinate symbolism (for our times) because in his time, that was very par for the course and even the most uneducated could understand.

That this extreme and confusing symbolism might have been a product of Jewish times because that was whom Jesus was preaching to.

I would think it would be necessary, somehow, to study how such symbolism would be interpreted at the time he taught, if that is possible. That perhaps at the time, there wasn't, culturally, as much room for interpretation as there can be today.

My $0.02

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2005, 4:16 pm

Quote:
I am personally atheist, myself. But I
I would think it would be necessary, somehow, to study how such symbolism would be interpreted at the time he taught, if that is possible. That perhaps at the time, there wasn't, culturally, as much room for interpretation as there can be today.

Yep. That's what the Bible I have tries to do. Jesus spoke to the masses. He used the venecular of the times. He was constrained somewhat by the culture and pitched his discussions accordingly. In order to understand his words, one must understand his times, his culture. IMHO. Others will feel differently.

BeeBee

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2005, 6:53 pm

although I am agnostic, I do talk a great deal about the bible with my best friend who also happens to be the youth director.

We like the symbolism b/c it really enriches what is going on.

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2005, 7:04 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2005, 7:06 pm

Quote:
Yes, the symbolism in the bible is too much. My advice to you though is don't bother reading the whole thing. The Sermon on the Mount is what matters the most, just read that a few times.

WHOA. . . . . .

Please be careful what you say. That statement is . . . .quite loaded.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2005, 11:30 pm

Personally, I think there should be a completely thorough analysis of the bibles meanings. And i mean all of em, even the ones that pretty much everyone agrees the author didn't intend. I could work out all these meanings myself, but i'm lazy. But i would definitely want to read the analysis rather than the bible itself because it is written in an older way of writing and I can't follow the expressions that well.