Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 6:45 pm

I've seen threads specifically for conservatives, and those for liberals...but what about those of you who don't fit either definition? I'm sure there have to be others of us here who--while clear and strong in our views--do not adhere to either of the extremes, and are able to hold their views without feeling the need to destroy, degrade, or insult those with whom they disagree. Who here identifies as a political centrist and/or religious moderate? (I think there's terminology as well for atheists/agnostics who are of a more open, moderate persuasion as well, but I don't know it.) And why?

I'll throw in my own two cents after others have a chance to post, but I just wanted to ask.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 10:48 am

SoSayWeAll wrote:
I've seen threads specifically for conservatives, and those for liberals...but what about those of you who don't fit either definition? I'm sure there have to be others of us here who--while clear and strong in our views--do not adhere to either of the extremes, and are able to hold their views without feeling the need to destroy, degrade, or insult those with whom they disagree. Who here identifies as a political centrist and/or religious moderate? (I think there's terminology as well for atheists/agnostics who are of a more open, moderate persuasion as well, but I don't know it.) And why?

I'll throw in my own two cents after others have a chance to post, but I just wanted to ask.

---

Extreme left wing liberal - vs Center of the Roader moderate - vs Extreme right wing conservative

Known moderates:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_Flanders

Known extremists:

The entire Homer Simpson family

---

http://www.sacred-texts.com/
http://www.beliefnet.com/

---

(...just kidding a little...)

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 10:54 am

SoSayWeAll wrote:
I've seen threads specifically for ... but what about those of you who don't fit either definition?

I have no idea what definition other people might or might not think might or might not fit me, and I do not know enough about the various labels people use for each other to even consider picking one for myself. However, neither would I want to do so even if I did.

Comparing ourselves to others and "taking sides" are two of the worst things we human beings have ever done to ourselves and each other, and the fact of so much of the rest of the world now doing that does not mean it would now be good for me to join into that fruitless competition.

Should people ever bear arms? Yes, and sadly, now we must ... yet I am still staying away from people's clubs.

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 12:21 am

Heh, something makes me think you won't find many moderates here... specifically ones that post in the PPR forum. We all have a point to make and a crusade to lead.

Onward Radical Soldier!! !

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 12:22 am

I don't like the excessive divisiveness either...and I was wanting to see if I was the only one bugged by it.

Kjartan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Aug 2010, 12:21 pm

I'm troubled by the divisiveness as well. I know that WP is not a 'support group' per se, but I wish that the community would not tear each other down for tearing-down's sake. For example, my spiritual faith helps me cope in my struggles with life as an autistic individual. On making that statement, it's likely that one thread will attempt to refute religion, while another will struggle to defend it. But I don't pertain to either faction ,or either extreme, I'm just making a statement.

I would call myself 'non-Partisan' more than a 'Centrist'. It's semantics, but 'Centrist' has come to evoke a distinct politics in its own right - I would consider myself factionless, or advocating the cause of humanity.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 2:49 pm

I'm Canadian. Most of us are pretty much centrists.

Our "rabid right-wing" government wouldn't dare dismantle our single-payer medical system. Our "rabid left-wing" NDP wouldn't dare tax the market back into the stone age for fear of what it would do to the various unions' pension funds.

Of course we go through phases up here, but most of us spend so much time sitting on the fence that we have picket marks on our butts.