Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2010, 4:39 pm

I got a book about George Orwell out of the library because i wanted to know more detail on his life. It said that while he was staying in Morroco recovering from his civil war combat, he wanted to visit a Mosque and experience it. He had wanted to ever since his time in Burma. But, he found it "unwelcome to foriegners" and they didnt speak English or let him in.

Imagine if they had welcomed him and not only that but converted him. I imagine he would have become one as the peace and stability of the religion would have calmed him after his shattering time in Spain. And he did throw himself into groups he found interesting like the Anarchists. I wonder how it would affect the world if the great anti-facist writer of 1984 was known as a Muslim.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 5:02 pm

I thought you meant Orwell from Wrongplanet :P

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 8:10 pm

So did I. :P

I can't really imagine Eric Arthur Blair as a Muslim. It would have run counter to everything in his nature.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 8:31 pm

Personally, I'm not so convinced it would have gone well.

Remember: He who controls the present, controls the past. He who controls the past, controls the future. Given all that Iranian Jew-hating and holocaust-denying, sounds to me like certain of the radical, extreme Muslims might think of Ingsoc as a virtual heaven-on-earth.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 8:53 pm

Orwell wrote:
I can't really imagine Eric Arthur Blair as a Muslim. It would have run counter to everything in his nature.

Seconded. Islam mean "submission" and Nineteen Eighty-Four was definately not advocative of submission.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 10:03 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Seconded. Islam mean "submission" and Nineteen Eighty-Four was definately not advocative of submission.

The devil you say! Everyone was required to submit to the Party.

ruveyn

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 10:11 pm

ruveyn wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Orwell wrote:

The devil you say! Everyone was required to submit to the Party.

ruveyn

And 1984 is known as one of the prime examples of a dystopian novel, ie Blair thought such submission to the Party was close to the worst world imaginable.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 1:08 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Given all that Iranian Jew-hating and holocaust-denying, sounds to me like certain of the radical, extreme Muslims might think of Ingsoc as a virtual heaven-on-earth.

There aren't many of those in Iran.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Aug 2010, 4:34 pm

I think Islam is a word hard to translate which means something between submission to god and spiritual peace. Thats what they tell me anyway. Maybe Orwell would have been anti semetic enough.

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2010, 3:42 pm

Orwell wrote:
So did I. :P

He rejected the christian God, yes, but something in Moroco made his seek out Allah. to bad he never investigated further.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 2:56 am

The common understanding most Muslims agree with as a translation for 'Islam' is 'peace'.
As it is attached in it's cultural environment to a religious movement and/or spirituality the idea of 'spiritual' peace is most fitting.
Salam Alekum [peace be with you] Alekum Salam [and also with you]

Eric Arthur Blair anti Semitic? I doubt it, he uses the word descriptively not in any critical or derogatory sense.

ATTENTION U.S CITIZENS

Iran is not the bogey man,
Venezuela is not the bogey man,
Cuba is not the bogey man,
hell, even North Korea is not the bogey man.
If you want to see the bogey man turn on TV and look into the mirror of your mass media....

Odd thread?.....

peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 3:30 am

AngelRho wrote:
Personally, I'm not so convinced it would have gone well.

Remember: He who controls the present, controls the past. He who controls the past, controls the future. Given all that Iranian Jew-hating and holocaust-denying, sounds to me like certain of the radical, extreme Muslims might think of Ingsoc as a virtual heaven-on-earth.

See http://www.counterpunch.org/whitney08182010.html

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Aug 2010, 4:14 am

RedHanrahan wrote:

Eric Arthur Blair anti Semitic? I doubt it, he uses the word descriptively not in any critical or derogatory sense.

He was accused of being anti semetic for having unflattering and horrible Jewish characters in some of his non fiction books I think. But that could have just been people he came across. Didnt the dictator in 1984 have a jewish name? (no it was the guy they had to "hate" i remember now). Nothing very anti jewish in his books to get bothered about.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 6:26 am

Mutate wrote:
RedHanrahan wrote:

He was accused of being anti semetic for having unflattering and horrible Jewish characters in some of his non fiction books I think. But that could have just been people he came across. Didnt the dictator in 1984 have a jewish name? (no it was the guy they had to "hate" i remember now). Nothing very anti jewish in his books to get bothered about.

It was Goldstein to whom the Hate was directed. But he probably didn't exist. He and Big Brother were concoctions of the Inner Party to keep the Outer Party folks in line.

ruveyn

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 10:04 am

RedHanrahan wrote:
The common understanding most Muslims agree with as a translation for 'Islam' is 'peace'.
As it is attached in it's cultural environment to a religious movement and/or spirituality the idea of 'spiritual' peace is most fitting.

Islam does not translate as "peace." Arabic has a word for peace and it is Salaam. Islam means submission (to God) and Muslims (Muslim= one who submits (to God)) argue that this submission brings them spiritual peace.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 2:35 am

Orwell wrote:
RedHanrahan wrote:

Islam does not translate as "peace." Arabic has a word for peace and it is Salaam. Islam means submission (to God) and Muslims (Muslim= one who submits (to God)) argue that this submission brings them spiritual peace.

Thanks for the clarification, the Muslims I know claim a connection between the words however

peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!