What is the most disliked religion in the Western World

Page 4 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

What is the most disliked religion in the Western world?
1. Islam 57%  57%  [ 26 ]
2. Catholicism 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
3. Judaism 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
4. Mormon 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
5. Hindu 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6. Budhism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
7. Shinto 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
8. Santeria (voodoo) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
9. Protestant Ultra-Fundementalism 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
10. Other 20%  20%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 46

headphase
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2010, 7:16 pm

Why do you label Christian sects as religions?

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2010, 9:34 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
What is called Football in Europe is called Soccer in America.
What is called God in English is called Allah in Arabic.

What is called Autism in the modern world, it is called Demon Possesion in the ancient and biblical world, and a very few from the modern world, it seems.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2010, 10:54 pm

greenblue wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:

What is called Autism in the modern world, it is called Demon Possesion in the ancient and biblical world, and a very few from the modern world, it seems.

You have no way of knowing that, though.

When the Bible says that demon possessions occurred, I believe without a doubt that they occurred and have no doubt that it is still possible. But I wonder if autism really would have been considered demon possession.

The reason why I say that is that demons revealed themselves as demons. There was no doubt that they were what they were. They guy who was infested by "Legion, for we are many" had obviously allowed himself some occult influence in which he'd become possessed. Another possessed man was manipulated into fortune telling as an effective means of income for his caretakers. The Bible informs us that his "friends" dropped him like a bad habit when he lost his ability to see the future.

I wonder about the frequency of actual demon possessions in the modern day. If they don't happen as often, my conclusion is that the faith-based practice of exorcism eliminated any effectiveness that direct demonic interference had with unbelievers. We are also quick to diagnose mental illnesses that might have at one time been seen as symptomatic of demon possession. My guess is that, if mental illnesses really are the work of a devil, scientific and medical "cures" or "treatments" only mask the outward behavior of demonic activity, ensuring that more people are safe havens for demons. Somehow I doubt this is the case in reality, but there's not a real way to know this for sure. If that is NOT the case, then it means that science and medicine has made the human mind a difficult place for spirits to inhabit. Either way, it is a victory for Satan. In the latter case, we've strengthened our resolved against demons taking up residence in our heads while disregarding the evil already in our hearts. By simply explaining away our demons as psychoses and using materialistic means through which to cure or treat them, we fail to acknowledge that the knowledge, wisdom, authority, and strength to do so comes from God by attributing such methods to our own ability.

BTW: I'm not suggesting that faith-based methods for aiding in relief of psychoses after labeling them as simply demon possessions are matched in sufficiency with medical devices for doing so. I believe that all knowledge and ability is a gift from God. Practitioners of frontal lobotomy probably cast out a LOT of demons. But given the fact that lobotomy was carried out in ignorance at a time when new discoveries were being made all the time, it follows this form of quackery would have a relatively short lifespan. We have myriad ways of dealing with our demons, regardless of what form they take, all ranging from some kind of injection, a pill, to simple counseling from the ubiquitous chaise lounge. I do think, however, that spiritual counseling in addition to physical and psychological therapeutic methods ought to be employed, whether or not actual demons are really involved.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 3:10 am

AngelRho wrote:
greenblue wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:

You have no way of knowing that, though.

When the Bible says that demon possessions occurred, I believe without a doubt that they occurred and have no doubt that it is still possible. But I wonder if autism really would have been considered demon possession.

The reason why I say that is that demons revealed themselves as demons. There was no doubt that they were what they were. They guy who was infested by "Legion, for we are many" had obviously allowed himself some occult influence in which he'd become possessed. Another possessed man was manipulated into fortune telling as an effective means of income for his caretakers. The Bible informs us that his "friends" dropped him like a bad habit when he lost his ability to see the future.

I wonder about the frequency of actual demon possessions in the modern day. If they don't happen as often, my conclusion is that the faith-based practice of exorcism eliminated any effectiveness that direct demonic interference had with unbelievers. We are also quick to diagnose mental illnesses that might have at one time been seen as symptomatic of demon possession. My guess is that, if mental illnesses really are the work of a devil, scientific and medical "cures" or "treatments" only mask the outward behavior of demonic activity, ensuring that more people are safe havens for demons. Somehow I doubt this is the case in reality, but there's not a real way to know this for sure. If that is NOT the case, then it means that science and medicine has made the human mind a difficult place for spirits to inhabit. Either way, it is a victory for Satan. In the latter case, we've strengthened our resolved against demons taking up residence in our heads while disregarding the evil already in our hearts. By simply explaining away our demons as psychoses and using materialistic means through which to cure or treat them, we fail to acknowledge that the knowledge, wisdom, authority, and strength to do so comes from God by attributing such methods to our own ability.

BTW: I'm not suggesting that faith-based methods for aiding in relief of psychoses after labeling them as simply demon possessions are matched in sufficiency with medical devices for doing so. I believe that all knowledge and ability is a gift from God. Practitioners of frontal lobotomy probably cast out a LOT of demons. But given the fact that lobotomy was carried out in ignorance at a time when new discoveries were being made all the time, it follows this form of quackery would have a relatively short lifespan. We have myriad ways of dealing with our demons, regardless of what form they take, all ranging from some kind of injection, a pill, to simple counseling from the ubiquitous chaise lounge. I do think, however, that spiritual counseling in addition to physical and psychological therapeutic methods ought to be employed, whether or not actual demons are really involved.

Thanks for clarifying that. It never occurred to me you were that far out.