If a conservative says something, it must be....

Page 3 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 11:42 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I would be pissed if I was automatically drafted just because I'm unemployed. So would my husband. Who would take care of our children while he was at work?

"It takes a village to raise a child" - Billary Clinton.

The village does a poor job when the mother is not there to guide and direct.

Parents should be the ones raising their own children, not the community. Since you seem to not have noticed, my comment about compulsory drafting of the unemployed was intended to be farcical, rather than serious.

I noticed. I just found it to be completely ridiculous because I have yet to meet someone that believes conservatives want such a thing.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 11:46 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I would be pissed if I was automatically drafted just because I'm unemployed. So would my husband. Who would take care of our children while he was at work?

"It takes a village to raise a child" - Billary Clinton.

The village does a poor job when the mother is not there to guide and direct.

Parents should be the ones raising their own children, not the community. Since you seem to not have noticed, my comment about compulsory drafting of the unemployed was intended to be farcical, rather than serious.

I noticed. I just found it to be completely ridiculous because I have yet to meet someone that believes conservatives want such a thing.

Actually it can be argued that "conservatives" have, so long as the Nazis are equivocated as "conservatives", then "conservatives" have done so (during the fall of Berlin to the Soviets at least, though I don't know of other instances out of memory.)

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 11:49 am

Like a true conservative, you are confusing the issue by going way out on left field. Some people make me ashamed to be conservative. *shakes head*

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 11:50 am

Orwell wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Why of course, I'm an evil conservative Republican. Draft everyone from ages 0 to 959! As for the military not being productive, bullocks! Lets go upon raiding parties!! ! :twisted: :ninja: :rambo: :pirat:

Panda, is that you? Shouldn't you be off trolling the "Conservatives" thread?

No, I'm not Panda. I'm just giving people what they already believe but in a modified ludicrous fashion which may hopefully show how blind they are if they start to finally realize that the rhetoric which they have been indoctrinated about 'evil conservatives' is exaggerated at best and fabricated at worst.

The problem is that it is rather difficult to tell far-right viewpoints from parodies of the far right, especially when the parody comes from someone who already is far right.

Orwell, you pick and choose when it comes to reading anyhow. It's no wonder you can't "tell far-right viewpoints from parodies of the far right". And by the way, I'm not "making parodies of the far right" I'm making parodies of the rhetoric that the "far-left" contrives against the "far-right", of which you seem to have picked to believe in.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 11:50 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Like a true conservative, you are confusing the issue by going way out on left field. Some people make me ashamed to be conservative. *shakes head*

Oh good grief. :roll:

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 11:53 am

Orwell wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Why of course, I'm an evil conservative Republican. Draft everyone from ages 0 to 959! As for the military not being productive, bullocks! Lets go upon raiding parties!! ! :twisted: :ninja: :rambo: :pirat:

No, I'm not Panda. I'm just giving people what they already believe but in a modified ludicrous fashion which may hopefully show how blind they are if they start to finally realize that the rhetoric which they have been indoctrinated about 'evil conservatives' is exaggerated at best and fabricated at worst.

The problem is that it is rather difficult to tell far-right viewpoints from parodies of the far right, especially when the parody comes from someone who already is far right.

Right, it is hard to tell, as I and probably must people here assumed that he was actually speaking his mind with the military thing, and it wouldn't be surprising, comming from a right-winger.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 11:55 am

greenblue wrote:
Orwell wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Right, it is hard to tell, as I and probably must people here assumed that he was actually speaking his mind with the military thing, and it wouldn't be surprising, comming from a right-winger.

You shall be in charge of cleaning all latrines everywhere.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 12:23 pm

greenblue wrote:
Orwell wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

I don't think any rightwinger who gave the idea two seconds of though would consider it good. With a mass, civillian military force there'd be a lot more anti-war energy coming from the rich parents of children overseas. Plus, a full scale civillian military force would be a lot less enthusiastic than a volunteer force.

But I do admit that iamnotaparkeet is being very unconvincing in this thread and has failed to address the numerous points made about the absurdity of modern ultraconservatism. He's even sort of shot himself in the foot as his attempt at sarcasm reveals how hard it is to seperate the "absurd strawmen" from crazy things conservatives actually advocate.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 12:30 pm

Absurd strawman vs. what the conservative really said

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjZW4z9zqqY[/youtube]

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 12:31 pm

I have to say, most people I see advocating for a mandatory draft are from the left. While conservatives generally want stronger forces, they do not want soldiers fighting along-side people that do not want to be there. Forced soldiers typically do not make good comrades in battle.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 12:59 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I have to say, most people I see advocating for a mandatory draft are from the left. While conservatives generally want stronger forces, they do not want soldiers fighting along-side people that do not want to be there. Forced soldiers typically do not make good comrades in battle.

I have never seen anyone on the left advocate for a draft. I have heard the occasional mention of it from the right, although I think you're correct that most conservatives would not support a draft.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 1:02 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
Absurd strawman vs. what the conservative really said

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjZW4z9zqqY[/youtube]

A large part of the reason why Tina Fey's SNL parodies were so maddening to conservatives is because they were very close to Palin's actual speech and mannerisms. If you bring out a parody that's just completely over the top and ridiculous, people will just laugh it off. When you mock someone and there is some amount of truth in your depiction, it hurts a lot more.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 1:03 pm

Orwell wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

I have never seen anyone on the left advocate for a draft. I have heard the occasional mention of it from the right, although I think you're correct that most conservatives would not support a draft.

It was in some of the rhetoric attacking one of the Republican candidates during the last decade. I can't remember specifics though, but it was all part of the usual wordgames that politicians play.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 1:12 pm

Orwell wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

I never said there were many advocating for a draft. Just that the majority I've seen do it are from the left.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 1:14 pm

Orwell wrote:
A large part of the reason why Tina Fey's SNL parodies were so maddening to conservatives is because they were very close to Palin's actual speech and mannerisms. If you bring out a parody that's just completely over the top and ridiculous, people will just laugh it off. When you mock someone and there is some amount of truth in your depiction, it hurts a lot more.

I really do not like Palin. Of course, she's a different breed of Conservative then me. I'm a 'less government in all aspects' Conservatives, whereas people like Palin advocate laws that impose morality on personal behavior.

*Libertarians FTW

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 1:35 pm

Orwell wrote:

Is Charley Rangel lefty enough for you?

http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=38950

Quote:
Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., the incoming chairman of the tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee, said he will introduce legislation to reinstate the military draft, claiming U.S. forces are inadequate to face possible threats by Iran, North Korea, as well as Iraq.

"There's no question in my mind that this president and this administration would never have invaded Iraq, especially on the flimsy evidence that was presented to the Congress, if indeed we had a draft and members of Congress and the administration thought that their kids from their communities would be placed in harm's way," Rangel said today on CBS' "Face the Nation" program.

"I don't see how anyone can support the war and not support the draft," he said. "If we're going to challenge Iran and challenge North Korea and then, as some people have asked, to send more troops to Iraq, we can't do that without a draft."

Rangel is a Korean War veteran who unsuccessfully sponsored legislation on conscription in the past. He said his proposal would be filed early next year.

Normally I wouldn't quote WND as a reputable source, but the remarks are a matter of record and I remember hearing about them.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/01/07/rangel.draft/

Quote:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Rep. Charles Rangel introduced a bill in Congress Tuesday to reinstate the military draft, saying fighting forces should more closely reflect the economic makeup of the nation.

Now to be sure I don't think Rangel was serious about reviving the draft, I think he was trying to make a point. He did, however, introduce the legislation.