http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/quran_burning

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 8:48 pm

takemitsu wrote:

Cancellation Insurance topic

Cancelled, not suspended.

He was not a total idiot. However, his radical ideas have taken root, and offended many.

Peaceful coexistence is peaceful, supportive, tolerant of others, not without challenges, but not inflammatory. This self-named "pastor", who professes to follow Jesus' example, would do well to remember what JC stood for. :wink:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 9:39 pm

Quote:

Cancelled, not suspended.

Quote:
Hours later, Jones said Musri "clearly, clearly lied to us."

"Given what we are now hearing, we are forced to rethink our decision," Jones said. "So as of right now, we are not canceling the event, but we are suspending it."

That's not what it says in the quotes.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 10:15 pm

tomhead wrote:
I'm participating in the 9/11 Buy a Qur'an Day, a counterprotest in which everyone is encouraged to buy a new Qur'an on 9/11 to show solidarity with (or identity with) Muslim communities. Mine might technically be an iPhone Qur'an app, but I'm definitely participating.

Cheers,

TH
dang, that's a good idea. on facebook i joined 'hug a muslim day'... the poor muslim girl i work with shall have to suffer my hugs (well, if she gives me permission)! !!

Katharsistwo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2010, 10:30 pm

The burning is an expression of democracy: it shows what the majority of americans thinks about islam.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 11:01 pm

Katharsistwo wrote:
The burning is an expression of democracy: it shows what the majority of americans thinks about islam.
wrong. less than half of americans feel that way.

Katharsistwo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2010, 11:28 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
Katharsistwo wrote:

Just one example: 70% does not agree with the mosque near ground zero.
Then it is obvious how this 70% thinks about islam, right?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 1:03 am

I wonder what would happen if bibles and torah scrolls were burned. :idea:

Hanotaux
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Sep 2010, 2:17 am

(Groan) This preacher is a wuss. Backing down.......... what an embarassment.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 2:18 am

Katharsistwo wrote:

Does it really? It is democratic and representative of the MAJORITY?

What a twisted ugly bunch of souls, no wonder all my Muslim friends feel so sorry for you living in such a hell...

peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 2:19 am

Katharsistwo wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
Katharsistwo wrote:

Just one example: 70% does not agree with the mosque near ground zero.
Then it is obvious how this 70% thinks about islam, right?

Such logic - you are clearly a small child or a moron [possibly both].

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 2:38 am

Hanotaux wrote:
(Groan) This preacher is a wuss. Backing down.......... what an embarassment.

While it is a sign of weakness to have to back down in a situation like this, he public.y shot his mouth off before he did careful planning. Remember: Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

I voted no on the poll, but that's because my only objection is that it creates needless conflict with local populations whose hearts and minds our troops are trying to win over and stabilize the middle east and it may put our troops in needless danger. While I believe that this church has a 1st amendment right to burn a pile of Korans, I do not believe it to be a well thought out plan.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 3:21 am

It doesn't put the American army in further danger, those left in the countries they invade will fight just as hard regardless of what happens.
I'm cool with libricide if it's not absolute and only involves your own property, it's your right.
However be advised, any othodox muslim witnessing this is technically duty bound to execute you, though it's highly unlikely it'll actually happen:
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/22809
Personally a friend of mine received death threats after posting a picture of Mohammed (complete with breasts etc.) online. I personally found the situation hilarious, given that if you both have a weak grasp of proper english, and you're making a threat to kill someone publicly on facebook, it's highly unlikely you have either the means or ability to find or kill anyone.

Hanotaux
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Sep 2010, 3:42 am

Quote:
While I believe that this church has a 1st amendment right to burn a pile of Korans, I do not believe it to be a well thought out plan.

Yeah, I agree............ what a letdown :( I'd have just had the protest anyway after all of this publicity.

Of course, he should have known that Obama and Holder would take a personal interest and yet again side with the minority. As far as he's come, I wish Rev. Jones would just go ahead with it now. Its so anticlimactic and a let-down. I'd like to see White Americans push back a bit against Muslims.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 4:16 am

Hanotaux wrote:
Of course, he should have known that Obama and Holder would take a personal interest and yet again side with the minority. As far as he's come, I wish Rev. Jones would just go ahead with it now. Its so anticlimactic and a let-down. I'd like to see White Americans push back a bit against Muslims.

I can agree with that, though it would be best to take them on as part of a movement against political correctness and multiculturalism which is now islamic extremists get away with as much as they do in this country. An attack on political correctness and multiculturalism would also address other national security issues at the same time...like border security and China.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Hanotaux
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Sep 2010, 4:41 am

Quote:
I can agree with that, though it would be best to take them on as part of a movement against political correctness and multiculturalism which is now islamic extremists get away with as much as they do in this country. An attack on political correctness and multiculturalism would also address other national security issues at the same time...like border security and China

Since Obama has been elected there have been several decent chances to accelerate these movements: (Professor Gates, bill 1070, the NY Mosque, Shirley Sherrod, Koran bonfire,) and that's what I can recall off of the top of my head right now. None of these have really been exploited well enough by the right though to discredit political correctness and revise multiculturalism.

Also, in seemingly every one of these issues, Obama almost always sides with the minority participants against the white participants. He really is too predictable, but then again, who would have expected a black president to have a black agenda? In America, if it doesn't fit the black agenda, then it is 'racist.' When the heck has Obama ever sided on an issue with the faction that has had the larger percentage of white members?.... I'd love to see an example of this.

Any chance that Obama would EVER nominate a straight white male for the US Supreme Court? I'd bet at least 100$ his next nomination will be a black female. Obama adheres so stridently to the whole diversity agenda. His whole plan is to pick 'one from each.' He's a multiculturalist figurehead.