Page 1 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 9:27 am

It's plain to see that people will never learn to live in peaceful co-existence. :( The majority of the humans on earth are naturally narcissistic, selfish, arrogant and intolerant :x . Everyone is using their race, religion and cultural differences to justify their extremely ugly behavior toward each other. :evil:
No one is truly happy unless they are telling everyone else why they are superior and why other people are stupid,evil,and should just plain die. I know most people secretly enjoy being intolerant,
racist, sexist, homophobic and perverted because it makes them feel superior. Well I hate it. :evil:
I am so very sick of living in a world that is doomed because nothing has really changed since the Dark Ages. If and when a comet or asteroid hits this planet it won't matter. The universe doesn't care about skin color or which god you worship or how money you have. Nearly everyone will die anyway. Maybe then people will realize they're not such a big screaming deal, but it'll be too late. :(

mattc
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Sep 2010, 10:15 am

People have the right and a duty to stand up and speak against obviously evil people, I don't think it's right to allow homophobic, violent or generally intolerant people to simply say what they want and not hear the voice of reason in response. The obvious example is Phelps, any moral person can see that this man is the meaning of evil, and people have a duty to stand up and make sure these people are known for what they are.
I think it will be along time (if ever) until we see the futuristic utopia's seen in science fiction.

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 10:16 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
It's plain to see that people will never learn to live in peaceful co-existence. :( The majority of the humans on earth are naturally narcissistic, selfish, arrogant and intolerant :x . Everyone is using their race, religion and cultural differences to justify their extremely ugly behavior toward each other. :evil:
No one is truly happy unless they are telling everyone else why they are superior and why other people are stupid,evil,and should just plain die. I know most people secretly enjoy being intolerant,
racist, sexist, homophobic and perverted because it makes them feel superior. Well I hate it. :evil:
I am so very sick of living in a world that is doomed because nothing has really changed since the Dark Ages. If and when a comet or asteroid hits this planet it won't matter. The universe doesn't care about skin color or which god you worship or how money you have. Nearly everyone will die anyway. Maybe then people will realize they're not such a big screaming deal, but it'll be too late. :(

I agree. As long as humans inhabit earth, there will be conflict. It's really sad, but in the end all a person can do is change himself and hope that it will inspire one other person to change, and so on, and in time everyone will change. Although I admit this is rather wishful thinking. I have fallen prey to this cycle of hate myself. Someone takes a shot at me (figuratively speaking), I then give them a shot back, hoping that this person will realise that his initial aggression and hate was uncalled for. But it never really works, for he continues to take more shots at me, and I at him, and the divide between us only grows. That's pretty much what you get when different ideas clash. One side wanting to show the other his way is correct, and the other wanting to prove to him he is wrong and in reality no one wins, and we just come out even more stauncher in our belief that what we feel is right.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 10:27 am

i_wanna_blue wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

I agree. As long as humans inhabit earth, there will be conflict. It's really sad, but in the end all a person can do is change himself and hope that it will inspire one other person to change, and so on, and in time everyone will change. Although I admit this is rather wishful thinking. I have fallen prey to this cycle of hate myself. Someone takes a shot at me (figuratively speaking), I then give them a shot back, hoping that this person will realise that his initial aggression and hate was uncalled for. But it never really works, for he continues to take more shots at me, and I at him, and the divide between us only grows. That's pretty much what you get when different ideas clash. One side wanting to show the other his way is correct, and the other wanting to prove to him he is wrong and in reality no one wins, and we just come out even more stauncher in our belief that what we feel is right.

One never knows what the future will bring. The mere couple of million years of human existence is no proof of anything. The universe is full of surprises.

Werecrocodile
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Sep 2010, 1:03 pm

This is all a matter of opinion, some believe there is no hope for humanity while others are optimistic for their future.

In any case peace won't happen in our lifetimes.

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 3:20 pm

Sand wrote:

One never knows what the future will bring. The mere couple of million years of human existence is no proof of anything. The universe is full of surprises.

Well I'm not sure if you are religious or not, but the problem of man really started from day one, not literally of course, when Cain killed Abel. It is in us all the desire to outdo others, or to want better than them especially when it comes to wealth and power. Lust for wealth and power and keeping it, requires injustice and injustice is why we have conflicts. The difference between rich and poor, for example only exists because we allow it. If humanity (which includes me and you) really tried to get rid of it, there would be no people in the world who are homeless or go hungry. But the truth of the matter is those who have wealth don't care about those who don't.

Those who are willing to start wars and watch others senselessly die and actually make a profit out of it don't really care about ethics, they care about money. I mean why are some leaders allowed to commit war crimes, and others are not? That's not justice, and without justice we can't have peace. Peace requires sacrifice and as humans we have no intention to give things up, even if it means we all gain from it in the end. So yes the OP is right we are all selfish. Peace is possible but it would mean having the same as others, and in truth we don't really want that. We always want more. I hope just as you say that in time that might change and surprise us all.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 3:28 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I am so very sick of living in a world that is doomed because nothing has really changed since the Dark Ages.

Plenty has changed since the Dark Ages. Printing presses, hygeine, decent medicine, electricity, computers, the internet, airplanes, trains, cars, central heating, air conditioning, and many other things have been invented.

We have more powerful weapons, too, but despite that, a smaller percentage of people are killed in wars. People live longer. People are less likely to be xenophobic than they used to be.

In the dark ages, a large fraction of the world's population was wiped out by the bubonic plague. We still aren't immune to disease, but these days we know enough to actually fight back.

In the dark ages, people were generally ruled by hereditary nobles, and women were often treated like property. These days, many places let citizens vote. These days, women are allowed to vote, too, and thinking of them as property is considered a nasty thing to do.

In the dark ages, execution by torture wasn't uncommon. In these days, people sometimes say that nobody should be executed ever, and the people who do say that there are crimes bad enough for execution oppose torture.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 5:58 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
It's plain to see that people will never learn to live in peaceful co-existence. :(

Do your perceived powers of precognition render you superior?
I have a little faith left in mankind, albeit a small amount.

Last edited by Asmodeus on 26 Sep 2010, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 6:04 pm

I think as a society we are improving, just very slowly. The main area I think where we don't improve is in our romantic relationships.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 7:11 pm

i_wanna_blue wrote:
Sand wrote:

Well I'm not sure if you are religious or not, but the problem of man really started from day one, not literally of course, when Cain killed Abel. It is in us all the desire to outdo others, or to want better than them especially when it comes to wealth and power. Lust for wealth and power and keeping it, requires injustice and injustice is why we have conflicts. The difference between rich and poor, for example only exists because we allow it. If humanity (which includes me and you) really tried to get rid of it, there would be no people in the world who are homeless or go hungry. But the truth of the matter is those who have wealth don't care about those who don't.

Those who are willing to start wars and watch others senselessly die and actually make a profit out of it don't really care about ethics, they care about money. I mean why are some leaders allowed to commit war crimes, and others are not? That's not justice, and without justice we can't have peace. Peace requires sacrifice and as humans we have no intention to give things up, even if it means we all gain from it in the end. So yes the OP is right we are all selfish. Peace is possible but it would mean having the same as others, and in truth we don't really want that. We always want more. I hope just as you say that in time that might change and surprise us all.

The Cain and Able myth is no more an iron rule than that Hansel and Gretel would inevitably be captured by a witch. We are animals and develop as evolution permits. When it proves more viable for powerful people to be beneficent than vicious then that will come about. Neither you or I can say when or if that will happen. At the moment things look rather bad but no one can say

MrGraphite
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Sep 2010, 7:30 pm

i_wanna_blue wrote:
Sand wrote:

Peace requires sacrifice and as humans we have no intention to give things up, even if it means we all gain from it in the end. So yes the OP is right we are all selfish. Peace is possible but it would mean having the same as others, and in truth we don't really want that. We always want more. I hope just as you say that in time that might change and surprise us all.

Maybe it is something that humans have been taught, or perhaps manipulated into thinking, that peace requires sacrifice. I mean if you think about it, what requires more sacrifice than war? The budgets, the lost lives, the time and effort, the injured victims and soldiers, the loss of infrastructure, the pain, and so on.

Well, anyway, peace :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 2:17 am

another poster [whose ID has leaked out of my addled memory banks] stated an excellent point- that we should be fortunate that some people are showing us how evil they are by their utterances- that way we know who to steer clear of. imagine if nobody said what they really thought- then what further mischief could be wrought?

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 6:57 am

Sand wrote:
The Cain and Able myth is no more an iron rule than that Hansel and Gretel would inevitably be captured by a witch. We are animals and develop as evolution permits. When it proves more viable for powerful people to be beneficent than vicious then that will come about. Neither you or I can say when or if that will happen. At the moment things look rather bad but no one can say

Well I personally don't believe it's a myth and I'm not an evolutionist so you will have to forgive me, if I feel that change will be connected more to our spiritual development instead of our evolutionary one. But yes no one really knows if and when that will happen, so I guess all we can do is hope.

MrGraphite wrote:

Maybe it is something that humans have been taught, or perhaps manipulated into thinking, that peace requires sacrifice. I mean if you think about it, what requires more sacrifice than war? The budgets, the lost lives, the time and effort, the injured victims and soldiers, the loss of infrastructure, the pain, and so on.

Well, anyway, peace :)

Well that's true, but it's only the victims who suffer and have to sacrifice their lives both materially and of course literally. What sacrifices do you think all those US officials had to make when they started both wars? Nothing. Well they probably made a lot of money from stealing all there oil, (but that's a debate for another time, so I don't wish to go off topic). I think it would be nice if all the Presidents and MP's and Defense Secretary's from around the world, would be obliged to go to war themselves and fire the first rounds in combat, then you'll see that war would probably end and innocent lives would be saved and soldiers will stop having to sacrifice their lives for others to benefit from war.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 7:23 am

Things have changed significantly since the "dark ages", and I disagree with you that humanity is doomed.

Every trait you see within humanity exists for one of two reasons or both.

1. It wasn't detrimental enough to the survival of the species to undermine it.
2. It was crucial enough to the survival of the species that it stuck around.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 7:30 am

And you succinctly state why a "global government" will never work.

Humans are not homogeneous. We have different values, and we can "get along" only so much. Fences make good neighbors. You live in your part of the world and practice and live as you feel is right, I'll do likewise over here. So long as we can work out our differences peacefully, that's the best we can hope for.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 7:43 am

zer0netgain wrote:
And you succinctly state why a "global government" will never work.

Humans are not homogeneous. We have different values, and we can "get along" only so much. Fences make good neighbors. You live in your part of the world and practice and live as you feel is right, I'll do likewise over here. So long as we can work out our differences peacefully, that's the best we can hope for.

Modern communication and travel is changing that.