Page 7 of 14 [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

hyperlexian
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jul 2010
Age: 47
Gender: Female
Posts: 21,997
Location: with bucephalus

28 Sep 2010, 8:45 pm

Wedge wrote:
I believe in what is written on the Statue of Liberty which is John_Browning´s avatar:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
:heart:


_________________
on a break, so if you need assistance please contact another moderator from this list:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt237032.html


Hanotaux
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 9 Aug 2010
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 355

28 Sep 2010, 9:40 pm

Quote:
Why? They aren't humans. Hanotaux, if you can't understand that human beings do not consider other animals to be that morally relevant, then you just won't understand what is going on a lot of the time.

The "contemporary multiculturalist ethos" has nothing to do with pet-breeding.

"Diversity" as a term is only referring to a certain set of contexts, so saying "Oh, they should practice it elsewhere" just makes no sense.

Hanotaux, do you have an argument here or do you have a bunch of ill-considered hogwash? You may say "shouldn't X be the case?", but frankly, WHY SHOULD IT? Why should human beings who desire a society made up from the results of many other cultures also require that their dogs be the result of multiple breeds? How is this argument different than my own rebuttal "I would just think that the same people who are so offended by cannibalism, would also naturally take offense against people who eat beef", as this seems a clear reductio ad absurdum of your reasoning. So, why don't *YOU* point out the difference in logical structure? After all, humans are animals as you stated. I mean, if you want us to respect, or even believe that your position is well considered, then don't you need more substance than bad analogies?



I don't see how my analogy is any more or less well considered than your analogy regarding cannibalism? Both analogies would seem to be on the same level. But I have no real desire to do all of this point-counterpoint stuff, really...........


Quote:
Why should human beings who desire a society made up from the results of many other cultures also require that their dogs be the result of multiple breeds?


Isn't it a bit hypocritical that the suburbanites who push so hard for diversity and racial-mixing do not practice such versions of their theories in other aspects of their lives? If they want multiculturalism, they should have to be exposed to it all the time, and not just 'pick and choose' when it is convenient, or not be allowed to complain when their precious blonde daughters bring home Tyrone as their prom date. Its bad enough that they go vote for Obama, pat themselves on the back, brag to their friends about how tolerant they are, and then retreat back to their safe suburban homes, without having to actually be exposed (yet) to the fallout of this.

So many suburban soccer moms make superficial gestures towards 'welcoming diversity,' but then shuttle their precious children off to nice, serene, and safe mostly-white suburban schools.

All I'm saying is that the middle-class, and residents of mostly white suburbs who make so many overtures towards multiculturalism should be required to actually live it first hand and have those theories actually applied to their lives.



ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 15 Mar 2009
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,870

28 Sep 2010, 9:42 pm

dove are you being intentionally dense or is my sense of humor more off than it should be?



Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,316
Location: Omnipresent

28 Sep 2010, 9:59 pm

Hanotaux wrote:
I don't see how my analogy is any more or less well considered than your analogy regarding cannibalism? Both analogies would seem to be on the same level. But I have no real desire to do all of this point-counterpoint stuff, really...........

Then why should we take anything you say seriously?

Quote:
Isn't it a bit hypocritical that the suburbanites who push so hard for diversity and racial-mixing do not practice such versions of their theories in other aspects of their lives? If they want multiculturalism, they should have to be exposed to it all the time, and not just 'pick and choose' when it is convenient, or not be allowed to complain when their precious blonde daughters bring home Tyrone as their prom date. Its bad enough that they go vote for Obama, pat themselves on the back, brag to their friends about how tolerant they are, and then retreat back to their safe suburban homes, without having to actually be exposed (yet) to the fallout of this.

So many suburban soccer moms make superficial gestures towards 'welcoming diversity,' but then shuttle their precious children off to nice, serene, and safe mostly-white suburban schools.

All I'm saying is that the middle-class, and residents of mostly white suburbs who make so many overtures towards multiculturalism should be required to actually live it first hand and have those theories actually applied to their lives.

I am not sure how much they'd complain if Tyrone was someone they considered to be a good partner for that daughter.(a matter that isn't just "blackness")

Even further, I don't really know what you mean. You have some vague idea in mind, but it is not likely the idea of any real proponent of multiculturalism. You might just be criticizing the hypocrisy of most people, but most people are hypocrites anyway, so the issue is difficult to draw real conclusions from.



Hanotaux
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 9 Aug 2010
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 355

28 Sep 2010, 10:13 pm

^ Lol, you are funny.

I just meant I didn't want to lose the coherence of the arguement in a bunch of block quotes and one-liner responses.



Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,525

28 Sep 2010, 10:19 pm

Hanotaux wrote:
I don't see how my analogy is any more or less well considered than your analogy regarding cannibalism? Both analogies would seem to be on the same level.

The cannibalism analogy was meant to be both absurd and on the same level as your argument, so that it could show the flaws in your argument.

Quote:
But I have no real desire to do all of this point-counterpoint stuff, really...........

This is PPR. Point-counterpoint is what we do here.

Quote:
Isn't it a bit hypocritical that the suburbanites who push so hard for diversity and racial-mixing do not practice such versions of their theories in other aspects of their lives?

If I grant, for the sake of argument, your idea that suburbanites are hypocrites, so what?

I am not a suburbanite, nor a liberal weenie, nor a soccer mom, nor a dog breeder.


_________________
"A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it." --G. K. Chesterton


iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,257
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

28 Sep 2010, 10:26 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
I am not a suburbanite, nor a liberal weenie, nor a soccer mom, nor a dog breeder.


That could become a funny string of insults,

Avast there ye suburbanite liberal wiener dog breeding soccer mothers!



Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,765
Location: Room 101

28 Sep 2010, 10:29 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
Hanotaux wrote:
Also, why should whites be genetically diluted with other races who are physically less pleasing to look at?

1. Nobody is forcing you to breed with anyone else.

In fact, I think I would not be alone in encouraging Hanotaux to refrain from procreating.

Quote:
3. Looks are not particularly important, especially from a moral and political standpoint. But your point still fails -- it ignores the many gorgeous hispanic ladies, and the fact that mixed genetics are more likely to be good genetics, specifically in the realm of physical appearance.

People have different tastes. Hanotaux likes white girls, good for him. Other guys might like Asian girls, nothing wrong with that either. I live in Miami, and there certainly are some beautiful Latinas down here...


_________________
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH


iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,257
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

28 Sep 2010, 10:44 pm

Orwell wrote:
People have different tastes. Hanotaux likes white girls, good for him. Other guys might like Asian girls, nothing wrong with that either. I live in Miami, and there certainly are some beautiful Latinas down here...


All women are beautiful, regardless of "race". Or weight, or height. Women have a graceful form which is aesthetically pleasant by default. It is often more a matter of their attitude displayed in their expressions as to whether they are attractive at a given moment or not. An angry woman is about as attractive as a brick being thrown at one's face, but a woman in a cheerful mood has quite the opposite effect.



Last edited by iamnotaparakeet on 28 Sep 2010, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,316
Location: Omnipresent

28 Sep 2010, 10:47 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Orwell wrote:
People have different tastes. Hanotaux likes white girls, good for him. Other guys might like Asian girls, nothing wrong with that either. I live in Miami, and there certainly are some beautiful Latinas down here...


All women are beautiful, regardless of "race".

No, there are really some very ugly women out there. Do you like women who weigh 600 pounds?



iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,257
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

28 Sep 2010, 10:51 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Orwell wrote:
People have different tastes. Hanotaux likes white girls, good for him. Other guys might like Asian girls, nothing wrong with that either. I live in Miami, and there certainly are some beautiful Latinas down here...


All women are beautiful, regardless of "race".

No, there are really some very ugly women out there. Do you like women who weigh 600 pounds?


I'd rather one which weighs 600 pounds than one which weighs 60 pounds.



Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,316
Location: Omnipresent

28 Sep 2010, 10:54 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Orwell wrote:
People have different tastes. Hanotaux likes white girls, good for him. Other guys might like Asian girls, nothing wrong with that either. I live in Miami, and there certainly are some beautiful Latinas down here...


All women are beautiful, regardless of "race".

No, there are really some very ugly women out there. Do you like women who weigh 600 pounds?


I'd rather one which weighs 600 pounds than one which weighs 60 pounds.

Yes, but that doesn't mean that neither are ugly.



Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,316
Location: Omnipresent

28 Sep 2010, 10:56 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Women have a graceful form which is aesthetically pleasant by default. It is often more a matter of their attitude displayed in their expressions as to whether they are attractive at a given moment or not. An angry woman is about as attractive as a brick being thrown at one's face, but a woman in a cheerful mood has quite the opposite effect.

Not ugly women. Nor ugly people for that matter. Really though, I don't think that ugliness or prettiness is really that comparable to a brick. Maybe a horribly scarred person is that bad, but, the average person is really in a rather boring range.



quiet_dove
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 28 May 2010
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 290
Location: Massachusetts

28 Sep 2010, 11:03 pm

Hanotaux wrote:
I used to play basketball with a few black guys when I was in the Army. I wiped the floor with them too.

Were those black people primitive at all? If not, then why do you seem to think that all black people are primitive?

Quote:
Like Professor Gates?

No, like Ian Williams and Chola Chisunka. (Click on their names to go to their websites. And yes, both of them are published authors.)

Quote:
Seriously, just conform to being a wigger already ! !! (sarcasm)

Asking you to accept that not all black people act in exactly the same way is nothing like asking you to act like a black person. Your analogy fails horribly.

Quote:
Do you always preface every thought of yours with 'Seriously?"

Obviously not. I didn't even use that word once in this reply.


_________________
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." - Albert Camus


quiet_dove
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 28 May 2010
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 290
Location: Massachusetts

28 Sep 2010, 11:06 pm

ikorack wrote:
dove are you being intentionally dense or is my sense of humor more off than it should be?

No, I am not being intentionally dense. Are you being intentionally rude?


_________________
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." - Albert Camus