Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 3:27 pm

I'm 16, and a guy, and my father is a moderate Muslim, and he is part of the gulen movement... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%BClen_movement

I, on the other hand, have grown apart from the movement, and want to follow a stricter interpretation of Islam.... such as salafism...... He's expressed his hatred of salafis and the similar group called wahhabis before, saying they are "animals" and "savages". The problem is my dad is part sufi, which is a mystic branch of islam, whereas i am more traditional... we have such beliefs as the prohibition of music, images of living things, celebrating prophet muhammad's birthday because he didn't order it, not watching the vast majority of television programs, and growing a beard.... As you can see, my dad will not be pleased, since he is a moderate.... how do I break it to him?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 4:54 pm

You should talk an listen to your dad.

Wahhabi/Salafi is not a movement you should be associating with. There are other conservative moments that you should consider first.

You are young and impressionable. I wouldn't make up you mid yet. I would go out an learn about the world more. Seek knowledge from many different sources.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 5:03 pm

I think you should examine why you are drawn to this more conservative side.

MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 5:10 pm

0_equals_true wrote:

Wahhabi/Salafi is not a movement you should be associating with. There are other conservative moments that you should consider first.

You are young and impressionable. I wouldn't make up you mid yet. I would go out an learn about the world more. Seek knowledge from many different sources.

I thought I blocked you?? :evil:

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 5:22 pm

You don't want to associate with the Salafi. If you need some stricter form of religion, at least look for one that doesn't seek to impose it's values on others. The Jews have such movements and schools, so there should be also muslim schools of the type. Have you heard of Quranism? It is rather a strict movement among it's own believers but isn't as aggressive towards unbelievers as Salafism is.

Why do you seek a stricter movement anyways? Do you feel that you are not capable of making the right decisions with out it? Or are they offering you a feeling of community that you haven't experienced in the rite of your father?

Additionally, I would like to add that the Salafi and Wahhabi tend to see all others outside of their movements as unbelievers, which would even mean the demonization of your own family. There are many risks of stricter movements. I recommend you to do your research well and make a wise choice. Avoid extremism.

Last edited by Aniihya on 30 Sep 2015, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 5:27 pm

Aniihya wrote:
You don't want to associate with the Salafi. If you need some stricter form of religion, at least look for one that doesn't seek to impose it's values on others. The Jews have such movements and schools, so there should be also muslim schools of the type. Have you heard of Quranism? It is rather a strict movement among it's own believers but isn't as aggressive towards unbelievers as Salafism is.

Why do you seek a stricter movement anyways? Do you feel that you are not capable of making the right decisions with out it? Or are they offering you a feeling of community that you haven't experienced in the rite of your father?

I think it's both for structure and purpose....

MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 5:28 pm

Aniihya wrote:

Also, Quranism is NOT strict, they are liberal.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 5:32 pm

MonsterCrack wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:

There is no such mechanism, besides you aren't being consistent you said you had "un-blocked" me.

If you don't like people to respond to your questions, don't ask the question.

Whatever you think is a block, it doesn't stop me from responding.

MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 5:34 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
MonsterCrack wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:

There is no such mechanism, besides you aren't being consistent you said you had "un-blocked" me.

If you don't like people to respond to your questions, don't ask the question.

Whatever you think is a block, it doesn't stop me from responding.

I took you off my foe's list, then took you back on. :evil:

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 5:35 pm

MonsterCrack wrote:

Quranism simply aim to put the doctrine of the Quran and the Prophet ahead of other doctrine. It is purist.

It is saying if it is not in the Quran then you should question its origin and if it is correct.

MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 5:37 pm

:x

0_equals_true wrote:
MonsterCrack wrote:

Quranism simply aim to put the doctrine of the Quran and the Prophet ahead of other doctrine. It is purist.

It is saying if it is not in the Quran then you should question its origin and if it is correct.

Exactly they only follow the Quran, and leave out a large portion of the religion which is the sayings and moral example of Prophet Muhammad.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 5:40 pm

MonsterCrack wrote:
I took you off my foe's list, then took you back on. :evil:

Honestly if you need to be told something I'm goign to say it. You foes list makes no difference to me. I think by your age, I would not have foes lists. I would argue my point.

If I think something is wrong I'm going to say it. You don't have to like it, but offense is not a trump card.

If you can't tell the differnce between criticism of an idea and a person that is soemthign you should learn.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 5:40 pm

About the only things you can do is break it to him and just deal with the ensuing schism in your relationship with each other if and when he takes it badly or just keep this decision to yourself. I'll warn you right now there's a chance he might stop being so distant and return home if you do this and he might try to "alter" your views if you tell him. I don't know what type of man your father is though. He might react better though since he's a moderate, but he might also react negatively to seeing his son heading in a potentially radical direction. I won't comment about your choice of direction in religion, it's your choice.

The foes list function is broken Monstercrack and it only hides your foes comments from your eyes, it can't stop them from commenting.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 5:41 pm

Quranism is not always liberal. In the Pakistani sense they are liberal but in the Nigerian sense they are pretty strict. Quranism is based on that Islam can do without hadiths as hadiths are unreliable as they were oral tradition and as you know that when something is passed on from person to person, it changes. Do you think you should value hadiths, oral traditions that may have been modified, as more of an authority than the Quran?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 5:43 pm

MonsterCrack wrote:
Exactly they only follow the Quran, and leave out a large portion of the religion which is the sayings and moral example of Prophet Muhammad.

Which is open to speculation.

Even conservative sects pick which rulings and interpretations they consider correct. However Mohamed never actually endorsed these rulings.

Last edited by 0_equals_true on 30 Sep 2015, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 5:45 pm

Feyokien wrote:
The foes list function is broken Monstercrack and it only hides your foes comments from your eyes, it can't stop them from commenting.

It was never possible to do that as far as I'm aware, it is against the spirit of the site.