number5
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 9:21 pm

LKL wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
If the owner of the uterus wants it disabled who are you to object?

ruveyn

It is incorrect to speak of the "owner" of a uterus while it is living tissue.

Just as it is incorrect to speak of the "owner" of our hair while it is living tissue? Would you make haircuts illegal.

We each own our own bodies and the contents thereof. We do not own bodies outside our own bodies.

Since we are the owner of our bodies and the contents thereof we are free to dispose of our property as long as in doing so we do not interfere with the rights of those outside our bodies.

ruveyn

Hair is not living tissue.

The issue of 'ownership' is framed as it is in order to simplify the regulation of organ transplantation - if people 'owned' their own organs in the regular sense of having the right to sell something to someone else, then it would be rather easy for a market in kidneys, lungs, sections of liver, corneas, skin, bone tissue, etc. to develop. Even hearts and other life-critical organs might be sold, as with a destitute parent who is willing to sacrifice his or her life in order to ensure that his or her children are 'set' for life.

As the law currently stands, hair (dead and renewable) and fingernails (dead and renewable) can be bought and sold. Ova and semen (living but haploid) can as well, but the morality is widely questioned. Organs such as kidneys, bone marrow, and liver chunks can be transferred, but legally no money or other financial incentive can be exchanged with the donor.

Despite this, there is a strong black market in organs. Personally, I think that more people would suffer if the market was legalized; it can be debated whether or not their suffering would be worse if it were voluntary (as opposed to kidnap victims in India), and whether or not it would be truly 'voluntary' when faced with extreme financial duress (as, for example, there is a debate about whether or not the American army is truly 'voluntary').

Organ black markets are so disturbing. I've heard of some die-hard capitalists in favor of legalizing the sale of organs.

Out of curiosity, can a uterus be donated?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 9:29 pm

I've never heard of it being done.
Anyone else?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 12:00 am

number5 wrote:

Out of curiosity, can a uterus be donated?

No, but it can be rented out. As in surrogate child-bearing.

Which is now a growing industry in India.

ruveyn

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 12:35 am

ruveyn wrote:
Which is now a growing industry in India.

Because what India needs is more population. :roll:

Not commenting on you so much as that there is such an industry in such a populous place.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 12:45 am

The feti residing in the rented wombs do not remain in India - it's mostly rich western families doing the renting b/c the ...employee protection laws for womb-rental in western countries are too stringent, and b/c Indian women will do it for cheaper even when factoring in transportation cost (and part of that is b/c of cheaper prenatal health care in India).

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 7:16 am

LKL wrote:
The feti residing in the rented wombs do not remain in India - it's mostly rich western families doing the renting b/c the ...employee protection laws for womb-rental in western countries are too stringent, and b/c Indian women will do it for cheaper even when factoring in transportation cost (and part of that is b/c of cheaper prenatal health care in India).

The Law of Supply and Demand rules.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 7:34 am

ruveyn wrote:
LKL wrote:

The Law of Supply and Demand rules.

ruveyn

Or perhaps its the law of people with money can do anything they damned well please with the destitute.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 7:57 am

Sand wrote:
Or perhaps its the law of people with money can do anything they damned well please with the destitute.

Money doesn't just talk. It screams at the top of its lungs.

ruveyn

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 11:32 am

LKL wrote:

Just to be pedandtic (and after all, we are Aspies!), foetus is a fourth declension noun that takes -us in the nominative plural. Accordingly the correct plural is foetus, not feti.

Psychopompos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 1:46 pm

It's a latin word which means "fruit".

Alum dare, dolere, id Hephaestus, id ire / Pro profundis fati / Pro pulchris infernarum profundis / Pro pulchris omni fati brachium / Pulchris profundis infernarum servi fati / Profundis, profundis fati

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 2:02 pm

Moron, Catholic, or both.[/quote]
My mother is a Catholic, but she only has two kids, my brother and me. So that must mean she's either used some form of birth control, or she and my father have only done it twice their whole lives! :lol:
...or maybe because her religion is not a big deal to her or the rest of our family. It's nothing but a label that automatically makes people think all kinds of negative and stupid stereotypes. :x

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 2:29 pm

Just because a man and a woman have intercourse doesn't mean the woman is necessarily going to pregnent.

However, if you're going to have sex, you should be prepared for the possible consequences. I have no problem with the idea of condoms and whatever, I do have a problem with abortion being used as birth control.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 3:09 pm

visagrunt wrote:
LKL wrote:

Just to be pedandtic (and after all, we are Aspies!), foetus is a fourth declension noun that takes -us in the nominative plural. Accordingly the correct plural is foetus, not feti.

I stand corrected.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 8:12 pm

skafather84 wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0kJHQpvgB8[/youtube]

Haha, I love Meaning of Life. A fish a fish a fishy, ohhhhhhh

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 12:18 pm

no, because it will die on its own, it lacks half the genes it needs. you may as well get on people for not using every chance to combine gamates as each one when ciombined has the potienal(but not certain) chance to devolpe into a person, but if not, it dies.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 7:50 pm

Edit