Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

What is your stance upon freedom of speech?
I am for freedom of speech, regardless of whether I may get offended at the words of others or not. 75%  75%  [ 15 ]
I am for freedom of speech, but only that variety of speech I particularly wish to hear. 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
I am against freedom of speech in general. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I am a dinosaur. RAWR. (other) 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 20

BigK
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Oct 2010, 5:14 pm

Dox47 wrote:
waltur wrote:
which version of "free speech" disallows the use of the term "nigerian" as a substitute for a certain derogatory term used for black people by racists? i'd like to get behind that version

Just out of curiosity, would you be as offended if that poster had phrased his joke as "Negroes Against All Caucasian People" instead? That would also have fit the acronym, and while "negro" is anachronistic to my knowledge it's not pejorative. Since so many people keep pointing to that post as the "smoking gun" of rampant racism on this forum, I wonder if it's the terminology that's being objected to or the sentiment, since the sentiment is a member's opinion and thus protected.

Just out of interest, what does Mrs Dox think of JB's post?

Edit: and the previous one.^

"How can it not know what it is?"

Hanotaux
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2010, 5:18 pm

^ Sorry BK

Do you know any good white-people jokes?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 5:23 pm

Hanotaux wrote:
^ Sorry BK

Do you know any good white-people jokes?

What do you call a rectangular solid filled with salted dehydrated bread in generally square or circular shapes?

Hanotaux
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2010, 5:41 pm

Quote:
but that's hardly a challenge.

Also, why do you think I post on an ultra-liberal forum like WP-PPR? I like the challenge and being in occupied territory and posting against such an overwhelming deck stacked against me......... (and yes, I do have AS.)

Why do you think I don't just go over to SF and preach to the choir(not that I agree with SF but it is the main site that stands out.) Whats the point of snoozing along somewhere else in a non-challenging forum? I respect the literate and challenging opposition.

I relish the challenge of being 1 vs 100. It is much more entertaining and satisfying for me that way.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 5:46 pm

BigK wrote:
Just out of interest, what does Mrs Dox think of JB's post?

Edit: and the previous one.^

JB's post suffered from bad phrasing and perhaps poor taste; but I don't think it rose to the level of actionable. Basically he was stating that to him the NAACP advances the interests of some ethnic groups at the expense of others and is biased against Caucasian people, a fair point if someone wanted to debate it rather than get hung up on his choice of words.

Hanotaux's latest would definitely cross the line if it wasn't so firmly framed as a joke; I would report something like that in a different context as it's a rare example of truly naked racism if meant seriously.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 6:16 pm

Hanotaux wrote:
Thanks for your openmindedness and not joining the "low hanging fruit" herd.

-------

Ok Here it goes...........

(I hope I don't get reprimanded for that, but I think its funny in a platonic sense.) Also, there was way too much post buildup for it not to get posted.

Though there is no punishment from the moderators for now, you can almost be certain that people complain in the background of the site via PMs. It's best not to do too much of this, since WP has historically been pro-censorship. Heck, previously any mention of superficial appearances of other people in a thread was practically all it took to get threads locked. Moderation is a virtue that may help keep the more zealous variety of pro-Civil-Rights© moderators from taking away what quantity of freedom of speech has been allowed for the past few weeks. I don't think any of the current moderators fall into that category, but sinsboldly and lau had done some power trips previously and it's that type of moderator which looks for any type of pretext to perform actions against those they do not wish to hear. So, it's best to minimize racial jokes against Non-White-People™. I'm not trying to say that censorship is right, but in an area like this where censorship has been the norm for years it's not good to go too far because eventually it will be used as grounds for making PPR just plain PC.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 6:34 pm

Hanotaux wrote:
Also, why do you think I post on an ultra-liberal forum like WP-PPR? I like the challenge and being in occupied territory and posting against such an overwhelming deck stacked against me......... (and yes, I do have AS.)

Why do you think I don't just go over to SF and preach to the choir(not that I agree with SF but it is the main site that stands out.) Whats the point of snoozing along somewhere else in a non-challenging forum? I respect the literate and challenging opposition.

I relish the challenge of being 1 vs 100. It is much more entertaining and satisfying for me that way.

Now this I can get behind. When I first started posting in here the makeup of the forum was if anything more left leaning than it is now, and more signifigantly the mods were both biased towards the left and not afraid to apply their powers unevenly regarding who's posts got deleted and who got sanctioned.

I came in here freshly diagnosed and only a few years out of gunsmithing school and wanting to talk guns when the four active mods were from Australia, England, Chicago and Oregon, and the Oregonian's father shot himself... Needless to say it was not a welcoming environment for me, but like you I thrived on the challenge of single-handedly debating half the forum and not only holding my own but actually winning on points; it's an exhilarating feeling for sure. I even know the joy that comes from throwing your beliefs in the face of an annoying adversary, I used to goad people that war was good for my line of work just to throw them off their game; it usually worked too.

At a certain point though, I had to sit back and think about why I was here and what my actual goals were; I wasn't going to change the world by pissing off a relative handful of people on an obscure website, and the endless fighting was taking up a lot of my actual time. I came to decide that I was here to enjoy myself and to maybe correct some misinformation when I saw it, and fight stereotypes by my very existence as an educated, articulate gun nut, any differences that that makes to other people is a bonus. That's not to say that I turn down opportunities to debate or evangelize for my beliefs, just that I don't attach any great importance to them.

You're facing an even more difficult path in that your beliefs are so stigmatized that depending upon how you choose to express them they may actually run afoul of the site rules and the laws of some countries; right or wrong that's how things are right now. I always tried to be careful not to give the mods a reason to come down on me, not that it mattered in the end, but with you the vaguely worded TOS basically lets them take you out whenever they want. If your goal is to be an internet martyr for the cause then go ahead and keep rattling the multi-cultis' cages, but if you'd like to continue to post here I'd suggest toning it down just a bit, don't change who you are or what you think but just be a little more diplomatic about it. If nothing else it's harder to ignore a post that is reasonable and rational in tone than one that's full of bombast and hyperbole.

[/mod impression] :wink:

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 7:07 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Hanotaux wrote:

Now this I can get behind. When I first started posting in here the makeup of the forum was if anything more left leaning than it is now, and more signifigantly the mods were both biased towards the left and not afraid to apply their powers unevenly regarding who's posts got deleted and who got sanctioned.

I came in here freshly diagnosed and only a few years out of gunsmithing school and wanting to talk guns when the four active mods were from Australia, England, Chicago and Oregon, and the Oregonian's father shot himself... Needless to say it was not a welcoming environment for me, but like you I thrived on the challenge of single-handedly debating half the forum and not only holding my own but actually winning on points; it's an exhilarating feeling for sure. I even know the joy that comes from throwing your beliefs in the face of an annoying adversary, I used to goad people that war was good for my line of work just to throw them off their game; it usually worked too.

At a certain point though, I had to sit back and think about why I was here and what my actual goals were; I wasn't going to change the world by pissing off a relative handful of people on an obscure website, and the endless fighting was taking up a lot of my actual time. I came to decide that I was here to enjoy myself and to maybe correct some misinformation when I saw it, and fight stereotypes by my very existence as an educated, articulate gun nut, any differences that that makes to other people is a bonus. That's not to say that I turn down opportunities to debate or evangelize for my beliefs, just that I don't attach any great importance to them.

You're facing an even more difficult path in that your beliefs are so stigmatized that depending upon how you choose to express them they may actually run afoul of the site rules and the laws of some countries; right or wrong that's how things are right now. I always tried to be careful not to give the mods a reason to come down on me, not that it mattered in the end, but with you the vaguely worded TOS basically lets them take you out whenever they want. If your goal is to be an internet martyr for the cause then go ahead and keep rattling the multi-cultis' cages, but if you'd like to continue to post here I'd suggest toning it down just a bit, don't change who you are or what you think but just be a little more diplomatic about it. If nothing else it's harder to ignore a post that is reasonable and rational in tone than one that's full of bombast and hyperbole.

[/mod impression] :wink:

You have won points from your pro-firearms stance, and I suspect might even have changed or tweaked some peoples views about firearms and their usage etc. There are points to be won, and positive angles to demonstrate. JB and Hanotaux, eloquent or not, don't seem to be winning many converts FOR discrimination based on race, or that whites are uber-mensch, and so on. I suspect we are likely to see Ruyven join the church of 'Keet before there is a shift in favour towards poorly thought out racist rhetoric and White Utopian Idealism.

Hanotaux
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2010, 7:23 pm

Quote:

If I get banned, I'll probably just go get a new router and sign up again later.

Besides that, I'm not a bad guy or anything, but "I am who I am," and I admit I do get a bit of a high from going on a leftist sub-forum like this and walking the line. It is a rush for me as well you know, and I do enjoy getting a reaction out of people. My views are actually common if suppressed, and within the national consensus, but this sub-form is mostly a small sample-size of hyper liberals so you know you bring down the wrath of the "strident Athiests." Not that I'm looking for trouble or anything, but I feel compelled to contribute and participate.

You pretty much said verbatum what I was thinking with the 2 paragraphs above. I do enjoy using hyperbole though in kind of a satirical sense.

Quote:
JB and Hanotaux, eloquent or not, don't seem to be winning many converts FOR discrimination based on race, or that whites are uber-mensch, and so on. I suspect we are likely to see Ruyven join the church of 'Keet before there is a shift in favour towards poorly thought out racist rhetoric and White Utopian Idealism

Most of the active posters on PPR aren't my target audience. Most of the "strident-athiests" and hyper-liberals certainly won't "convert" for lack of a better term. Mabye some of the other 40,000 members who don't post regularly but just browse the threads may be more responsive?

Only a very small percentage of the membership on any site actually posts on the forum, and only a small percentage of that number on a regular basis.

Mabye when a different point of view from the right begins to be heard regularly on PPR, than others with similar convictions will begin to be heard as well. Besides that, I'd not expect guys like Ska or marshall ever to ideologically shift.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 7:32 pm

Macbeth wrote:
You have won points from your pro-firearms stance, and I suspect might even have changed or tweaked some peoples views about firearms and their usage etc. There are points to be won, and positive angles to demonstrate. JB and Hanotaux, eloquent or not, don't seem to be winning many converts FOR discrimination based on race, or that whites are uber-mensch, and so on. I suspect we are likely to see Ruyven join the church of 'Keet before there is a shift in favour towards poorly thought out racist rhetoric and White Utopian Idealism.

WTF, church of 'Keet? Also, I missed where the argumentation for discrimination was, even within Hanotaux's hyperbole. I'm against all superficial discrimination, meaning anything that a person cannot change about themselves has nothing to do with their personality or beliefs. Examples: I'm white, therefore I "must" be a "racist". Or I'm black, therefore I "must" be "oppressed" by the Evil-Whiteman-Racists©.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 7:35 pm

Hanotaux wrote:
Quote:

If I get banned, I'll probably just go get a new router and sign up again later.

Besides that, I'm not a bad guy or anything, but "I am who I am," and I admit I do get a bit of a high from going on a leftist sub-forum like this and walking the line. It is a rush for me as well you know, and I do enjoy getting a reaction out of people. My views are actually common if suppressed, and within the national consensus, but this sub-form is mostly a small sample-size of hyper liberals so you know you bring down the wrath of the "strident Athiests." Not that I'm looking for trouble or anything, but I feel compelled to contribute and participate.

You pretty much said verbatum what I was thinking with the 2 paragraphs above. I do enjoy using hyperbole though in kind of a satirical sense.

Quote:
JB and Hanotaux, eloquent or not, don't seem to be winning many converts FOR discrimination based on race, or that whites are uber-mensch, and so on. I suspect we are likely to see Ruyven join the church of 'Keet before there is a shift in favour towards poorly thought out racist rhetoric and White Utopian Idealism

Most of the active posters on PPR aren't my target audience. Most of the "strident-athiests" and hyper-liberals certainly won't "convert" for lack of a better term. Mabye some of the other 40,000 members who don't post regularly but may just browse the threads may be more responsive?

Only a very small percentage of the membership on any site actually posts on the forum, and only a small percentage of that number on a regular basis. Mabye the ideologically "undecideds" will glean more from it and have more open-mindedness than the fanatical-leftists.

You're still very much caught up on this idea that everyone who knows you to be a racist is de facto "liberal" or "multiculturalist" or "fanatical leftist" or whatever label you care to apply. For one that's a bit rich coming from someone who rants so much about how racism is just a label used by etc etc and for two, its wildly inaccurate. As I said, its quite possible to dislike Multiculturalism and "Diversideee" and all that other PC s**t and still think a racist is a tosser, and that classification by skin-colour is pseudo-scientific BS on a par with phrenology or the "fact" that criminals' ears are lower and they tend towards the mono-brow.

I don't know when Diwali is and I don't care to know , I think Bollywood movies are the height of tacky sub-par musical drivel and think most fanatical Muslims should probably READ the bleeding book before they get bent out of shape, and that compulsory beards and body-tents are ridiculous. But I don't think any of the races involved are inferior to whites, and I certainly don't think my society is "better" or that any of them are untermensch. What I DO think is that EVERY race is cursed with a great number of idiots and unpleasant people who insist on perpetuating ignorance and stupidity to the detriment of the whole of humanity.

Hanotaux
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2010, 7:52 pm

Quote:
You're still very much caught up on this idea that everyone who knows you to be a racist is de facto "liberal" or "multiculturalist" or "fanatical leftist" or whatever label you care to apply. For one that's a bit rich coming from someone who rants so much about how racism is just a label used by etc etc and for two, its wildly inaccurate.

No, I refer to people as such who express the relevant sentiments and/or openly identify themselves as liberal or whatever(as is pretty common in PPR)^.

Did I identify Dox as some kind of wild raving liberal a while ago, when he is not? No? He's disagreed with me a few times, but I analyzed his litmus objectively.

I could have assumed as much that he was some crazy liberal based on his avatar pic for sure, but I stated no such thing, and in fact, he is not a crazy liberal. It would have been really easy for me to jump to conclusions, but I did not.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 11:17 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think Hanotaux isn't so much here to rant about minorities and try to convert people to his way of thinking as he is to combat the stereotype that only knuckle dragging mouth breathers can have beliefs like his. I can respect that, as a white male I do get a bit annoyed at the way my ancestors are often portrayed as the scourge of history, or some of the things done in the name of multiculturalism or diversity, they're just not my primary focus but I can see how they could really get under someone's skin.

I also don't flinch from calling a spade a spade when it comes to judging cultures and customs other than my own; I'm quite certain that the only thing keeping certain posters here from calling me a racist is my avatar. I really do think the term itself has become tired and played out though, it's gotten to the point where I avoid the word whenever possible and use the term "bigoted" instead, which is actually a more accurate term most of the time anyway.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2010, 11:45 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I'm quite certain that the only thing keeping certain posters here from calling me a racist is my avatar.

You are a positive racist :P