Scientists claim breakthrough in antimatter hunt

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 1:11 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_switzerland_antimatter

Its pop release but still, interesting stuff. I might have to check out where I can see these things more up-to-date.

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 1:38 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_switzerland_antimatter

Its pop release but still, interesting stuff. I might have to check out where I can see these things more up-to-date.

http://scienceblogs.com/principles/2010/11/trapped_antihydrogen.php

i saw this on scienceblogs yesterday but i haven't had the patience to fall into it yet.

very promising.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 2:23 pm

They were able to capture an anti-helium for much longer than the instantaneous destruction they had previously witnessed. Still only fractions of a second but that's still more of a breakthrough for our computer measurements than simply instant destruction and only a solid hinting.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 2:59 pm

It will be interesting to find out if anti-matter has the same kind of gravitational interaction as matter. Does anti-matter fall faster or slower than matter in a gravitational field.

ruveyn

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 3:09 pm

ruveyn wrote:
It will be interesting to find out if anti-matter has the same kind of gravitational interaction as matter. Does anti-matter fall faster or slower than matter in a gravitational field.

ruveyn

It may have lasted long enough to track the second question. I haven't read enough of it to know that...just to see that they were able to actually keep it, albeit extremely briefly.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 5:39 pm

skafather84 wrote:
They were able to capture an anti-helium for much longer than the instantaneous destruction they had previously witnessed.

That might be a hint already - if antimatter noble gases behave somewhat similarly to their matter counterparts.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 5:50 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
They were able to capture an anti-helium for much longer than the instantaneous destruction they had previously witnessed.

That might be a hint already - if antimatter noble gases behave somewhat similarly to their matter counterparts.

I think it was anti-helium. I may be mistaken and it was anti-hydrogen.

Actually, I was mistaken. It was anti-hydrogen. Sorry.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-11-antihydrogen.html

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 6:03 pm

why is this not in science?

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 2:14 pm

Eggman wrote:
why is this not in science?

i assume you mean why is it in politics, philosophy, and religion? maybe techstep wanted to distract us from our religious/antireligious tirades?

i'm interested to see where the thread goes after it takes that turn. :)

apparently, they've managed to come up with a magnetic "trap," of sorts, that can keep the antihydrogen in existence long enough to do a spectroscopy. now they'll need to do the spectroscopy and then they'll tell me all kinds of things to make my head a'splosiate.

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2010, 5:01 pm

I must admit that I do not get why there supposedly was more antimatter than exists now.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 5:12 pm

petitesouris wrote:
I must admit that I do not get why there supposedly was more antimatter than exists now.

When matter and antimatter come into contact they annihilate each other to produce an enormous amount of energy.

E=mc^2

That's why starships in Star Trek (at least Federation ones) used matter/anti-matter reactions to power the ship.

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 5:47 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
petitesouris wrote:

When matter and antimatter come into contact they annihilate each other to produce an enormous amount of energy.

E=mc^2

That's why starships in Star Trek (at least Federation ones) used matter/anti-matter reactions to power the ship.

i didn't know that's what powered star trek boats. sounds way cooler than the ion engines (star wars tech) that we're putting on probes :)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 5:53 pm

waltur wrote:
i assume you mean why is it in politics, philosophy, and religion? maybe techstep wanted to distract us from our religious/antireligious tirades?

Partly that, its good to have something we can all agree on occasionally. That and, PPR topics tend to revolve heavily around macro issues - fundamental nature of matter and cosmology aren't too far off topic.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 5:58 pm

waltur wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
petitesouris wrote:

E=mc^2

i didn't know that's what powered star trek boats. sounds way cooler than the ion engines (star wars tech) that we're putting on probes :)

I knew it both from the series and it is in the TNG Technical Manual. Furthermore, I believe it is in The Physics of Star Trek.

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 6:09 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
waltur wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
petitesouris wrote:

E=mc^2

I knew it both from the series and it is in the TNG Technical Manual. Furthermore, I believe it is in The Physics of Star Trek.

cool. my brother had all those tech manuals from star trek, star wars, and all kinds of other sci fi. i thought a lot of them were really interesting but when i found out star trek tech wasn't real (yet) (give me a break, i was a little kid!), i was disappointed. i was so happy when i first learned we were using ion engines.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 6:51 pm

The matter anti-matter business was explored in fiction many years ago back in the 1940's and anti-matter was known as CT for contraterrene in the several stories. Jack Williamson under the pen name of Will Stewart published several stories in Astounding Science Fiction Magazine.