Could "Separate but Equal" have worked............

Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

russell
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Dec 2010, 7:59 am

If the actual facilities were equal?

Could the application of "Separate but Equal" have been viable if both blacks and whites wielded their own power and had institutions and facilities that were roughly comparable?

What if the black community was prospering enough on its own and didn't even want anything from Southern Whites?

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 9:33 am

If they were equal, then what would be the point of keeping them separate?

russell
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Dec 2010, 9:49 am

^ To prevent cultural fusion.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 10:14 am

If blacks and whites had their own institutions, and their own power and so on and so forth, I suppose technically separate but equal is possible. I think given the particular American context, the idea is not realistically possible though given that there is no practical way of equally allocating power on a racial basis, especially given that whites openly opposed blacks having power.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 10:24 am

russell wrote:
Could "Separate but Equal" have worked............

What do you mean by "worked"?

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 10:26 am

russell wrote:

What is the problem with "cultural fusion?"

russell
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Dec 2010, 11:02 am

^ I think you know what I mean by "cultural fusion." (lol)

leejosepho wrote

Quote:
What do you mean by "worked"?

Awesomely Glorious wrote:
Quote:
If blacks and whites had their own institutions, and their own power and so on and so forth, I suppose technically separate but equal is possible. I think given the particular American context, the idea is not realistically possible though given that there is no practical way of equally allocating power on a racial basis, especially given that whites openly opposed blacks having power.

^ Functioning as 2 separate states within a state.............. like an oprichnik

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 11:19 am

russell wrote:

Could the application of "Separate but Equal" have been viable if both blacks and whites wielded their own power and had institutions and facilities that were roughly comparable?

What if the black community was prospering enough on its own and didn't even want anything from Southern Whites?

It worked for years in Boston. While there was never any legal segregation in Boston, there was de facto segregation. Kids were placed in their neighborhood schools. Since Boston was very segregated (not legally so) many of the schools in Boston where 95 percent black and in some other parts of town, 95 percent white. De Facto segregation went on for many, many years in Boston and the schools did about average for the Commonwealth of Massachussetts.

ruveyn

Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 11:29 am

russell wrote:

My girlfriend is from Malaysia, I find this totally offensive.

russell
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Dec 2010, 11:44 am

^ I see nothing wrong about wanting to maintain the integrity of separate cultures, so we don't just all follow the same mindless MTV-pop-culture parade.

Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 11:50 am

russell wrote:
^ I see nothing wrong about wanting to maintain the integrity of separate cultures, so we don't just all follow the same mindless MTV-pop-culture parade.

By culture you mean race right? I see a major problem, I see no value in what you are saying and I'm a social conservative. Are you saying you prefer a world where I cannot be with someone, simply due to their race?

Was not spoken of the soul.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 11:51 am

De Facto segregation does continue to exist.

But, it was really silly to insist on people having to ride in different train cars, different parts of the bus, different toilets and drinking fountains, different restaurants and hotels, not being able to live in a particular area, not being able to marry someone, just based on race.

Sorry, I don't know what the problem is with "cultural fusion?" Can you be more specific about what your objections are?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 12:10 pm

Even if pigs had wings they still couldnt fly (contrary to the popular saying ) because they arent designed for flight aerodynamically.

The question you are asking is inane because those preconditions didnt exist. So why ask it?

Second if blacks had been somehow magically been made instantly economically equal to whites, and were then given a seperate school system- whites still had the political power over the financing of schools - so such a system wouldve inevitably degenerated into descrimination because black schools would inevitably gotten the lambs share of the resources in the racist south ( even if whites hadnt been severely racist they were the majority of voters- even if I dont hate you its hard to resist voting myself benifits at your expense if you cant muster the votes to stop me).

So even putting wings on this pig would not allow it to fly.

Third what wouldve been the point? Even if a seperate but equal system had been possible what purpose would that serve?

Why do want to see pigs fly in the first place?

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 1:29 pm

Actually, at the time of the civil war, slaves vastly out-numbered free persons in several states of the Deep South. The Ku Klux Klan began shortly after the civil war, as a terrorist organization dedicated to disenfranchising the non-white population. For a brief time during the Reconstruction era, southern states actually voted black people into government positions. The notorious white terrorist organization soon put an end to that.

ddrapayo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Dec 2010, 2:34 pm

No. Well, theoretically yes, but that could never have happened. Consider schools, for instance. You have the blacks in one school and the whites in the other. Presumably the teachers will be the same race. But since at the time, there were far more white teachers than black teachers, we can clearly see it wouldn't be equal. And with less black teachers, less black students will grow up to be teachers, and the problem augments over time. Separate but equal can never actually be equal. It's impossible.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 2:34 pm

No, humans are incapable of that at least for the foreseeable future. There is nothing wrong with cultural fusion it is necessary any ways for a healthy nation. Raising children in two separate system no matter how equal will eventually result in a war between the two cultures that rise up. Separate is bad especially when concerning culture, cultural fusion gives us mutual identity. Mustn't forget the separate part of "separate but equal". Also both white teens and black teens follow MTV, although I've noticed(purely personal experience, take it as you wish) that its more common in lower to upper middle class families.