Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 11:24 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCovYF51qHE[/youtube]

Technikilor
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jan 2011, 8:03 am

I believe morals are the result of human evolution, and that people who reject them (e.g. nihilists) are ignorant towards science and the laws of physics.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 12:44 pm

Technikilor wrote:
I believe morals are the result of human evolution, and that people who reject them (e.g. nihilists) are ignorant towards science and the laws of physics.

That is the case. Moral and ethical systems are human made for human use.

However no moral laws flow logically from physical laws. Moral laws are conventions and are not in any way part and parcel of the physical nature of the world.

ruveyn

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 12:56 pm

Technikilor wrote:

Game theory and most in particular the Prisoner's dilemma can be applied consistently as a basis for morality, but as ruveyn pointed out it has nothing to do with physics.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 3:07 pm

Salonfilosoof wrote:
Technikilor wrote:

Game theory and most in particular the Prisoner's dilemma can be applied consistently as a basis for morality, but as ruveyn pointed out it has nothing to do with physics.

The main justification for the conventions of morality is that the work sufficiently well to keep everyday life from being a war zone, at least in some countries.

ruveyn