Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 5:39 am

It's nice to see that Obama Derangement syndrome has spread to the United Kingdom. Perhaps after the University system is completely destroyed by the Conservative-Liberal Democratic coalition government, minor slip-ups in policy-wise intangible foreign speeches will be the least of your concerns.

murphycop wrote:
It was a bit dumb of Obama to say France are the US's main ally. Maybe the UK should pull their troops out of the middle east then.

In all probability it was a mis-statement. He probably meant to say that France was "one of" America's main allies. But please, go ahead and tell me next that he shouldn't script anything he speaks because foreigners (particularly in the UK, a land that's fallen from grace quite a bit since it's height early in the 20th century) really aren't anal-rententive about what goes into a speech.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 5:43 am

murphycop wrote:
Mind you, Orwell probably gets his info from the same sources that, well...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI9ImScQGAo&feature=related[/youtube]

It's pretty much utterly shameless that you're accusing a the History major known as Orwell of getting his information from some backwater source, particularly given that he really isn't jigonistic by American or even international standards and has credited much of the defeat of Germany to the USSR (something that is outright heretical in the conservative segments of American society). It's also an interesting case of projection, as (given this thread) you're probably quite a hyper-nationalist Briton who nostalgically remembers (the stories other people have told you) of the heyday of the British Empire. Plus, you probably either get your history from the Daily Mirror or the Sun.

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 2:32 pm

TenFaces wrote:
MurphyCop, the Irish are as big a lobby as any in Washington. I am not surprised US will bail out Ireland. There are more Irish in the US than there ever were in Ireland. In fact, that was one of the reasons holding back FDR from joining the war in the 40s. The Irish lobby was angry at Churchill and didn't want the US to help UK. After Pearl Harbor that changed. The Irish had legitimate grievances against the UK. As far as the Scots and Welsh. I figured the Welsh don't love the UK, they were exploited longest. I knew some Scottish hated the UK, but do most of them?
Visagrunt, so Canada could have a different king than UK. Why not look into one now.? Who should be king of Canada? They might like a different monarch. When I was fishing or hunting in rural Canada, I noticed quite a few rural Canadians did not seem to like the Royal Family.

The UK bailed out Ireland. I don't think anyone with common sense likes the Royal Family.

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 2:34 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
It's nice to see that Obama Derangement syndrome has spread to the United Kingdom. Perhaps after the University system is completely destroyed by the Conservative-Liberal Democratic coalition government, minor slip-ups in policy-wise intangible foreign speeches will be the least of your concerns.

murphycop wrote:
It was a bit dumb of Obama to say France are the US's main ally. Maybe the UK should pull their troops out of the middle east then.

In all probability it was a mis-statement. He probably meant to say that France was "one of" America's main allies. But please, go ahead and tell me next that he shouldn't script anything he speaks because foreigners (particularly in the UK, a land that's fallen from grace quite a bit since it's height early in the 20th century) really aren't anal-rententive about what goes into a speech.

The Labour Goverment already destroyed this country. 95% of the jobs they created, went to foreigners. I think with University, if someone wants to just go there to study any old crap, just so they can enjoy the playgrounds, they should pay for it themselves.

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 2:40 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
murphycop wrote:
Mind you, Orwell probably gets his info from the same sources that, well...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI9ImScQGAo&feature=related[/youtube]

It's pretty much utterly shameless that you're accusing a the History major known as Orwell of getting his information from some backwater source, particularly given that he really isn't jigonistic by American or even international standards and has credited much of the defeat of Germany to the USSR (something that is outright heretical in the conservative segments of American society). It's also an interesting case of projection, as (given this thread) you're probably quite a hyper-nationalist Briton who nostalgically remembers (the stories other people have told you) of the heyday of the British Empire. Plus, you probably either get your history from the Daily Mirror or the Sun.

It was just me messing around. I'm not patriotic at all really. And thats funny that you'd use those two newspapers, as one is right wing and the other left. I'm actually referring to whats going on today, our soldiers are fighting with the American soldiers, and us two nations pretty much went it alone, thanks to Dumb Bush and Dumber Blair. If Orwell is very interested in history, thats fair enough. But it doesn't have to be bought into every political discussion.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

15 Jan 2011, 4:15 pm

The guy is comming back to the middle. wich is why i'm intrested in him again :pig:

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 6:25 pm

:pig: