Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 7:19 am

MasterJedi wrote:
Where are the atheists to bring some sense of rationality and reason to the forum?

Come on people! Make your voice heard!

Being an atheist (in the strict sense) is a quiet, passive and private thing. If means not believing the Gods of the City exist for lack of evidence that they do exist. What one does not believe is one's own business and not inherently a public thing.

ruveyn

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 7:44 am

Quote:
Where are the atheists to bring some sense of rationality and reason to the forum?

Atheists have a pretty big presence here, and many of the theists here are at least intellectual theists who have thought about what they believe in, rather than believe in it automatically. It's easy to argue with a fool about religion, but although I don't go along with religion personally, as I see it and science as being mutually exclusive, I can see valid epistemological viewpoints that allow for religion. :)

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 8:38 am

91 wrote:
MasterJedi wrote:

They do, quite a lot actually.

Maybe you should appreciate the atheists you have.
You could know philosophy as well as AG
Or political/economic theory like Master Pendant
Or with appreciation of Jewish history and culture like Ruveyn
Or you could argue from experience like LKL
Or with conundrums like Fuzzy
Or with reductio ad absurdum like Sand
As far as I can tell, all of these people argue more forcefully and with more quality than you do.
Sorry if I left anyone out.

Hey, I know a lot about economic theory too! So, watch it! :P

Also, you *completely* missed out on my knowledge of Christian theology. Or was that not mentioned for a reason. :P

Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 9:10 am

^^^^

I only gave each of you one virtue; you think enough of yourselves already.:D

Was not spoken of the soul.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 10:36 am

Orwell wrote:
It binds the galaxy together.

No, that's aluminum tape.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 10:53 am

skafather84 wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Aluminum tape is what is holding together our last space shuttle vehicles.

ruveyn

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 11:10 am

ruveyn wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Orwell wrote:

ruveyn

It's one of my favorite products. People hype duct tape but aluminum goes worlds (literally!!) beyond.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 11:39 am

skafather84 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Orwell wrote:

ruveyn

It's one of my favorite products. People hype duct tape but aluminum goes worlds (literally!!) beyond.

Low bridge? Duct!! topic

When I was a kid it was masking tape, and later hockey tape. Frog tape is not bad either.

Aluminum tape is shiny. And forgiving. Just the thing for atheists. :twisted:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 11:45 am

sartresue wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Orwell wrote:

ruveyn

Low bridge? Duct!! topic

When I was a kid it was masking tape, and later hockey tape. Frog tape is not bad either.

Aluminum tape is shiny. And forgiving. Just the thing for atheists. :twisted:

Frog tape is painter's tape, right? That stuff is great working on anything that you need to quickly label/mark up without actually ruining anything (mixing boards, for instance). But still not the godly level of ability that is aluminum/foil tape (the REAL duct tape).

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 12:42 pm

With all the rationality that's oozing from recent atheist posts, I wonder how you can stand the overload ;)

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 1:11 pm

Orwell wrote:
Atheism is what gives MasterJedi his power. It's an energy force created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.

yes, orwell.... your journey to the dark side is progressing nicely....

also: why is it always about atheism vs theism? doesn't anyone care about the tree-killing santa supporters?!?

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 1:23 pm

I'm here, but religion is one thing I hate arguing about since it is subjective for the most part. It's more of a matter of interpretation than "logic". I put quotes around logic cuz people focus too much on the format and not enough on the premise and assumptions behind the premise. We can't prove one way or the other whether or not there is a god, but I have no reason so far to believe in a God so it's not like I'm contemptuous of religious people or feel the need to challenge em. I just hate when people have stupid ass reasons to believe one way or the other.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 8:09 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
I'm here, but religion is one thing I hate arguing about since it is subjective for the most part. It's more of a matter of interpretation than "logic". I put quotes around logic cuz people focus too much on the format and not enough on the premise and assumptions behind the premise. We can't prove one way or the other whether or not there is a god, but I have no reason so far to believe in a God so it's not like I'm contemptuous of religious people or feel the need to challenge em. I just hate when people have stupid ass reasons to believe one way or the other.

Actually, I tend to disagree with you. I think that most religion is something where it is clear that the evidence disfavors the belief. Now, it may be true that it is very difficult to disprove the existence of ANY possible thing that a person could call "God", I think it is true that the standard things that are called "God" can be shown to be very very very likely false.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 8:13 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:

Actually, I tend to disagree with you. I think that most religion is something where it is clear that the evidence disfavors the belief. Now, it may be true that it is very difficult to disprove the existence of ANY possible thing that a person could call "God", I think it is true that the standard things that are called "God" can be shown to be very very very likely false.
Yeah I definitely don't believe in a typical religion's idea of God, but the existence of God himself is inconclusive.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 8:25 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
Yeah I definitely don't believe in a typical religion's idea of God, but the existence of God himself is inconclusive.

Perhaps, but it is also irrelevant. In the absence of evidence, Occam's razor cuts away unnecessary entities.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

15 Jan 2011, 4:34 pm

I'm agnostic. in the past i have been religous though