If God exist why are there ugly,stupid people.

Page 1 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 9:14 pm

What a crappy way to go through life?

I have a facially ugly friend I eat lunch with every other day at work. He has massive social anxiety problems due to his face.

What did he do to deserve that? Someone give me a logical explanation. He is a good guy.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 9:22 pm

sense of humor?

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 9:28 pm

Dantac wrote:
sense of humor?

The way he rewards the people who do sh***y things with a better quality of lie(looks,money) and the inverse is what im getting at.

It doesn't make sense.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 9:29 pm

the way i see it, god made some people beautiful as tests, to make sure the beautiful types would not let it go to their heads. a lot of 'em fail this test. on the flipside, god made some with notably asymmetrical and coarse features, also as a test, to see if such folk could develop their inner selves without being distracted or lulled into complacency by the existential ease which being beautiful would give them.

locster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jan 2011, 9:31 pm

ApsieGuy wrote:
What a crappy way to go through life?

I have a facially ugly friend I eat lunch with every other day at work. He has massive social anxiety problems due to his face.

What did he do to deserve that? Someone give me a logical explanation. He is a good guy.

Hi,

He got handed a bum set of numbers in the genetic lottery; That's basically what it comes down to.

The historical notion of gods as sentient beings is the result of millenia of searching for answers without good tools or knowledge to answer them. That era has ended. The notion of gods as sentient overseeing beings no more fits the available observations than the notion of a great overseeing plate of spaghetti.

Take care,

locster

Last edited by locster on 15 Jan 2011, 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 9:32 pm

If the god theory doesn't grab ya, how about karma?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 9:33 pm

It's entirely up to what happens when the embryo is formed. Whatever genes you have determine what you look like. If you happen to get the genes that promote symmetrical features, you will be regarded, perhaps, as physically attractive.
If you get genes that do not promote such symmetry, some may call you ugly, others may not, since beauty is so subjective anyway.

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 9:45 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
It's entirely up to what happens when the embryo is formed. Whatever genes you have determine what you look like. If you happen to get the genes that promote symmetrical features, you will be regarded, perhaps, as physically attractive.
If you get genes that do not promote such symmetry, some may call you ugly, others may not, since beauty is so subjective anyway.

Well, no kidding...I get how basic genetics work.

However, why wouldn't such a god create a reward system based on our deeds vs a system based purely on random probability?

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 9:47 pm

auntblabby wrote:
the way i see it, god made some people beautiful as tests, to make sure the beautiful types would not let it go to their heads. a lot of 'em fail this test. on the flipside, god made some with notably asymmetrical and coarse features, also as a test, to see if such folk could develop their inner selves without being distracted or lulled into complacency by the existential ease which being beautiful would give them.

If you are going to test the beings of earth, why not give them equal tools to work with?

Is it fair to give someone 30 minutes on a test while another person gets 60 pending they don't have learning disabilities.

I'm not saying make everyone look the same. I'm saying why not make everyone look normal with a few slight deviations.

That same logic applies man

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 9:48 pm

God works in mysterious ways, my son. Ours is not to question why. I like to think that gods give people challenges to overcome.

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 9:52 pm

Moog wrote:
God works in mysterious ways, my son. Ours is not to question why. I like to think that gods give people challenges to overcome.

No, I think this a pretty legit question that requires a decently structured explanation.

This guy also had a 4 year old son die on him while he was working 2 jobs to make ends meet. He isn't the sharpest either.

Where's God now?

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 9:53 pm

Thou shall not judge a book by it's cover.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 9:53 pm

ApsieGuy wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

However, why wouldn't such a god create a reward system based on our deeds vs a system based purely on random probability?

Genetically speaking, it doesn't matter what someone looks like. That's why we have such a wide variety of physical appearances ;)

locster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jan 2011, 9:57 pm

ApsieGuy wrote:

It's a fair question. It comes down to the notion of what is a good deed or a bad deed - the universe doesn't care about such concepts as good and bad, it's just a medium for life to exist in, and, in the end all that matters is ability to reproduce and create offspring that can live into the future. As it turns out the best way to do that is to have lots of offspring with different combinations of genes from both parents - some combinations work well and you get strong offspring that live into the future and that have kids of their own. Other offspring don't fare so well so you get genetic diseases, mutations, miscarriage, infant death syndrome, etc. Those 'weak' offspring are a side effect of the only process that can make new strong offspring. There is no other way the universe could work (unless you revert back to the idea of sentient overseers).

Hope that helps,

locster

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 10:01 pm

locster wrote:
ApsieGuy wrote:

It's a fair question. It comes down to the notion of what is a good deed or a bad deed - the universe doesn't care about such concepts as good and bad, it's just a medium for life to exist in, and, in the end all that matters is ability to reproduce and create offspring that can live into the future. As it turns out the best way to do that is to have lots of offspring with different combinations of genes from both parents - some combinations work well and you get strong offspring that live into the future and that have kids of their own. Other offspring don't fare so well so you get genetic diseases, mutations, miscarriage, infant death syndrome, etc. Those 'weak' offspring are a side effect of the only process that can make new strong offspring. There is no other way the universe could work (unless you revert back to the idea of sentient overseers).

Hope that helps,

locster

I think god has control over what traits will be good when genetics combine

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 10:03 pm

Without ugly stupid people we wouldn't know how big an ass hole smart beautiful people can be.