If God exist why are there ugly,stupid people.

Page 3 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 10:50 pm

There is that song that goes everybody's beautiful in their own way...

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 11:00 pm

I really seem to create entertaining threads.......

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 11:09 pm

If you want an answer, don't ask the question "Why?" You're as likely as not to get bogged down in the question, and you're probably not going to get an answer anyway. (I say that as a fully convinced Catholic, btw.) The better question is, "What to do now?" No one's perfect and no one gets a perfect life, misery's part of the package deal. So how do you play the hand you're dealt?

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 11:35 pm

I can give you three guesses based on different viewpoints:

1. The non-religious or atheist individual will probably go with genetics
2. Someone who believes in God will probably say its some kind of test and/or "His message" as in showing that "goodness" when it comes to personality vs. looks are NOT connected.
3. If someone believes in reincarnation they may go with he did something crappy in a past life.

backagain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2011, 12:08 am

The world is not fair, life is not fair. Fairness or reason doesn't enter into it. People who have great things happen to them feel they deserve it much of the time, often to the point that they believe others that don't have great things going on aren't doing something right (some young naive fortunate Christian acquaintances come to mind).
There is no "why" or "because". Bad things happen to all kinds of people, good things happen to all kinds of people. It is a positive thing to look at difficult things as challenges, that some people are given things to overcome, but that is not really a reason. Stuff just happens, we each have to use what we have to get through, do our best.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 12:18 am

Why assume God gives a damn?

Azolet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2011, 12:22 am

God likes variety.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 12:46 am

Peko wrote:
I can give you three guesses based on different viewpoints:

1. The non-religious or atheist individual will probably go with genetics
2. Someone who believes in God will probably say its some kind of test and/or "His message" as in showing that "goodness" when it comes to personality vs. looks are NOT connected.
3. If someone believes in reincarnation they may go with he did something crappy in a past life.

then there are those who find truth in all of the above.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 12:59 am

The least likely of the three is the one about reincarnation, the belief an innocent baby is paying for past life sins by being born disadvantaged in this one. It doesn't make sense whatsoever.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 1:30 am

auntblabby wrote:
ApsieGuy wrote:
If you are going to test the beings of earth, why not give them equal tools to work with? Is it fair to give someone 30 minutes on a test while another person gets 60 pending they don't have learning disabilities.

because not all students in earthschool are equally endowed [despite surface appearances], some need more time, until they can develop up to speed.
How much of it is really talent over skill? I noticed you have a very external locus of control and I believe this would be a good read for you:

Quote:
1. Entity View – This view (those who are called “Entity theorists”) treats intelligence as fixed and stable. These students have a high desire to prove themselves to others; to be seen as smart and avoid looking unintelligent.
2. Incremental View – This view treats intelligence as malleable, fluid, and changeable. These students see satisfaction coming from the process of learning and often see opportunities to get better. They do not focus on what the outcome will say about them, but what they can attain from taking part in the venture.

Quote:
Dr. Dweck's research on the impact of praise suggests that many teachers and parents may be unwittingly leading students to accept an entity view of intelligence. By praising students for their intelligence, rather than effort, many adults are sending the message that success and failure depend on something beyond the students' control. Comments such as "You got a great score on your math test, Jimmy! You are such a smart boy!" are interpreted by students as "If success means that I am smart, then failure must mean that I am dumb." When these students perform well they have high self-esteem, but this crashes as soon as they hit an academic stumbling block. Students who are praised for their effort are much more likely to view intelligence as being malleable, and their self-esteem remains stable regardless of how hard they may have to work to succeed at a task. Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that these students are more likely to be willing to push through setbacks and reach their full academic potential (Dweck, 1999a; 1999b).

http://www.indiana.edu/~intell/dweck.shtml
http://www.learning-theories.com/self-t ... dweck.html

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 1:52 am

AceOfSpades wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
ApsieGuy wrote:
If you are going to test the beings of earth, why not give them equal tools to work with? Is it fair to give someone 30 minutes on a test while another person gets 60 pending they don't have learning disabilities.

because not all students in earthschool are equally endowed [despite surface appearances], some need more time, until they can develop up to speed.
How much of it is really talent over skill? I noticed you have a very external locus of control and I believe this would be a good read for you:

Quote:
1. Entity View – This view (those who are called “Entity theorists”) treats intelligence as fixed and stable. These students have a high desire to prove themselves to others; to be seen as smart and avoid looking unintelligent.
2. Incremental View – This view treats intelligence as malleable, fluid, and changeable. These students see satisfaction coming from the process of learning and often see opportunities to get better. They do not focus on what the outcome will say about them, but what they can attain from taking part in the venture.

Quote:
Dr. Dweck's research on the impact of praise suggests that many teachers and parents may be unwittingly leading students to accept an entity view of intelligence. By praising students for their intelligence, rather than effort, many adults are sending the message that success and failure depend on something beyond the students' control. Comments such as "You got a great score on your math test, Jimmy! You are such a smart boy!" are interpreted by students as "If success means that I am smart, then failure must mean that I am dumb." When these students perform well they have high self-esteem, but this crashes as soon as they hit an academic stumbling block. Students who are praised for their effort are much more likely to view intelligence as being malleable, and their self-esteem remains stable regardless of how hard they may have to work to succeed at a task. Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that these students are more likely to be willing to push through setbacks and reach their full academic potential (Dweck, 1999a; 1999b).

http://www.indiana.edu/~intell/dweck.shtml
http://www.learning-theories.com/self-t ... dweck.html

Anybody who has accomplished anything is well aware that talent helps but dedication and interest and energy are far more important. Stupid people may be that way from many factors but you can't teach a seahorse to ride a bicycle. Life is tough that way and we each have to make the best of what we've got.

locster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jan 2011, 5:59 am

Sand wrote:
...but you can't teach a seahorse to ride a bicycle.

Well that's three years of my life wasted then. Couldn't you have mentioned this before? ;)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 6:46 am

Perhaps God is not as competent as we are led to believe by the teachers and the preachers.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 10:50 am

locster wrote:
Sand wrote:
...but you can't teach a seahorse to ride a bicycle.

Well that's three years of my life wasted then. Couldn't you have mentioned this before? ;)

Congratulations on your fourth birthday.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 6:56 pm

Maybe God wants you to see the inner beauty of "ugly" people. Also, ugly is subjective and even if it isn't its no problem cause ugly people marry other ugly people. Its the way things work. All the beautiful people are taken and so there are the ugly ones leftover to match up.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 7:07 pm

jc6chan wrote:
Maybe God wants you to see the inner beauty of "ugly" people. Also, ugly is subjective and even if it isn't its no problem cause ugly people marry other ugly people. Its the way things work. All the beautiful people are taken and so there are the ugly ones leftover to match up.

And maybe God needs a laugh once in a while to relieve his boredom.