Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 2:14 am

LKL wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trish/44089909/
http://www.life.com/image/72685046

Ok, they obviously can eat corn, much like I can eat bugs if I'm reall hungry enough, possibly witht he aide of a plastic device used to keep my mouth open like what I think I'm seeing in the istockphoto picture. There's some reason they're developing the method documented in the movie clip I posted though, which it really doesn't explain. Its something that stuck in my mind,d ue to how shocking it is. I saw your pictures. You made the point. Now check out the vid I posted.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 2:29 am

that's its tongue. It's licking its lips.

Cow tongues are pretty amazing, almost prehensile.

I did check the vid- that's what I'm basing my assesment on. There was a blurb in the lower left corner when the picture of the cow came on, stating that it was at a university somewhere, and the guy reaching into the cow was talking about how corn wrecks the cow's natural digestive flora. I got the impression that he was researching and advocating against cows being fed corn, not that he was looking for more efficient ways to do so.

Cows *like* corn because it's tasty and high-energy, just like humans like fat and sugar. Again, thoguh, that's not saying that it's natural for either one of us to consume it.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 2:32 am

LKL wrote:
]

edit: I think that the cow in your clip was a research cow, not a CAFO cow.

Yah, I guess it is the tongue. when I saw that it was a University project, I figured that's what it was. They may be using that as a research method to develop drugs or something to help the rumen in the cow better diggest corn . The movie didn't do a good job of explaining it. It was just something that burned into my mind. I haven't seen the movie in over a year.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 2:35 am

Again, there's nothing plastic in that animal's mouth. You can click on the picture if you want a larger image.
Also, it's probably a cow, not a bull.
Also, the other links I posted have images of cows eating corn in more sedate ways - I picked that one to show as an image rather than a link because I thought the tongue was humorous.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 2:38 am

LKL wrote:
Again, there's nothing plastic in that animal's mouth. You can click on the picture if you want a larger image.
Also, it's probably a cow, not a bull.
Also, the other links I posted have images of cows eating corn in more sedate ways - I picked that one to show as an image rather than a link because I thought the tongue was humorous.

Yo, I re-edited it when I saw you made a reply, but you replied to me before I got done re-editing it. The long horns made me think it was a bull,. I'm pretty ignorant about cattle to be honest. Oddly enough, the still image on the youtube vid I posted shows them eating corn from a trough. This convo is getting awkward. You probably think I'm an idiot by now. lol. the way it was set up in the video though made me think it was a regular practice of some kind. Mainly its the part about them saying cattle haven't evolved to eat corn and then showing that clip, inexplicably, where the researcher is stuffing the cows side hole.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 2:53 am

LKL wrote:

I did check the vid- that's what I'm basing my assesment on. There was a blurb in the lower left corner when the picture of the cow came on, stating that it was at a university somewhere, and the guy reaching into the cow was talking about how corn wrecks the cow's natural digestive flora. I got the impression that he was researching and advocating against cows being fed corn, not that he was looking for more efficient ways to do so.

Cows *like* corn because it's tasty and high-energy, just like humans like fat and sugar. Again, thoguh, that's not saying that it's natural for either one of us to consume it.

oh ok, that makes sense. I haven't really watched it except one time, but that was just something that burned into my memmory as I said. I saw it only once, and I was like wtf!. It was so shocking to me to see a hole in the side of an animal that I didn't even hear everything they said when I saw it over a year ago. I haven't been making it a regular talking point or anything. Its just someone brought up animal rights, so I posted that cause it stuck out in my mind. Anyway, thanks for clearing that up. Forgive me for wasting our time.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 1:25 pm

JNathanK wrote:
LKL wrote:

oh ok, that makes sense. I haven't really watched it except one time, but that was just something that burned into my memmory as I said. I saw it only once, and I was like wtf!. It was so shocking to me to see a hole in the side of an animal that I didn't even hear everything they said when I saw it over a year ago. I haven't been making it a regular talking point or anything. Its just someone brought up animal rights, so I posted that cause it stuck out in my mind. Anyway, thanks for clearing that up. Forgive me for wasting our time.

Yeah, I can see why it would shock you. It could not have been pleasant for the cow to have a hole the size of a softball in its back.
Funny story about cow tongues: a college friend of mine was once walking past a field where a bunch of young cows were grazing by the fence. The grass was long and ungrazed on her side, so she picked a long bunch and offered it to one of the cows. It tentatively stretched out its neck towards her, snuffled the grass with its big wet nose... and then stretched out its tongue like a tentacle and wrapped it around both her hand and the grass. She screamed, the cow jumped, and the moment of bonhomme was lost.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 11:10 pm

JNathanK, big respect for you.

Cheers.