Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Jet102fm
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2011, 2:08 pm

I don't want to stir the pot with Christians here, but I do feel that Christianity has made a fool of itself in the later-half of the 20th and 21st century. I got turned off of Christianity because I feel that it only gives special gifts to the special privelaged (i.e. the married) and it is not right, especially considering the supposed absence of sex and earthly pleasure in heaven. You do not care how much "better than sex" Heaven supposedly is, yet no believers lift a damn finger (read: are unconvinced). I also feel that the Christian God himself is controlling and somewhat melavolent (why, there is no excuse to torture a devastated child with ASD who can't drive while all his peers can).

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 2:34 pm

Hard to lose what you never had. I speak from experience - though my reasons were very different.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 2:38 pm

Wha?

Whoever you was the priest/pastor/whatever for the Church you went to was a moron.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 2:50 pm

Welcome to the dark side. We have textbooks :twisted:

Quote:
I don't want to stir the pot with Christians here

Nah, feel free to stir. They don't seem to mind :lol:

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

29 Jan 2011, 10:54 pm

Its nothing but a business model now son. eveytime I turn into TBN or the 700 hundred club there having a telethon

and the messed up thing about it is, they make you feel guilty like if you dont "sow" (wich means give them money you wont reap a good harvest.)

and they use the bible to drive that point home. wich apparently is gods word, o0o0o0o

Alls I gotta say is god must be looking down from heaven and must be proud

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 11:18 pm

Jet102fm wrote:
I don't want to stir the pot with Christians here, but I do feel that Christianity has made a fool of itself in the later-half of the 20th and 21st century. I got turned off of Christianity because I feel that it only gives special gifts to the special privelaged (i.e. the married) and it is not right, especially considering the supposed absence of sex and earthly pleasure in heaven. You do not care how much "better than sex" Heaven supposedly is, yet no believers lift a damn finger (read: are unconvinced). I also feel that the Christian God himself is controlling and somewhat melavolent (why, there is no excuse to torture a devastated child with ASD who can't drive while all his peers can).

So, your reasons for considering Christianity invalid are that you haven't had sex and you can't drive a car?

Jet102fm
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jan 2011, 11:45 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Jet102fm wrote:

So, your reasons for considering Christianity invalid are that you haven't had sex and you can't drive a car?

I wasn't saying that I don't know, but I possibly am unable to drive.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 12:29 pm

It is intriguing how many take a strong anthropic stance to the solipsist extreme, then use it to argue against the possibility of a divine entity, but do NOT deny the existence of the universe or the validity of the principle.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 12:48 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Jet102fm wrote:

Yeah this is just petty. You're denouncing an entire system of faith just because you haven't gotten the things you wanted? I can drive just fine and well I'm still working on getting numbers, but my atheism has nothing to do with those things.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 5:37 pm

God acting like a discriminating, always-have-to-get-my-way, murderous child is what turned me off to Christianity.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 10:12 pm

Jonsi wrote:
God acting like a discriminating, always-have-to-get-my-way, murderous child is what turned me off to Christianity.

Really, so where do you see this? I'm supposing you're referring to events in Exodus, such as where the people were grumbling about being "rescued from comfortable slavery in Egypt only to die in the desert" and then being provided more to eat and drink, and then complaining so more rather than being grateful? Or do you mean about the flood where God was fed up with 1,656 years of violence and corruption upon the face of the Earth and decided to wipe away what he made with the exception of a relatively small handful of people and land dwelling animals aboard a recolonization "ship" which was designed to just float it out? Or I suppose you mean something from Revelation properly decontextualized to eliminate any fault of those being punished?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 10:39 pm

No, more like god throwing a fit over a cow statue, god destroying an entire city, men, women, and children all, (except for one man and his daughters) for the actions of one mob; god turning a woman into salt for looking back at the city where her other daughters, who had the misfortune to have been old enough to be married off, were being killed by god; god destroying nearly every living thing on the planet in a flood; etc, etc, etc.

You can even, if one is to believe the evangelicals, extend it into the present: God destroyed New Orleans because of the Mardi Gras revelry, god sent hurricane Andrew to Florida because Disney World acknowledged the existence of gays, god sent tsunamis and floods and horrible earthquakes to Asia because of Islam, and god sent an earthquake (and presumably the poorly engineered buildings that made that earthquake so fatal) to Haiti because of the vodoun imported to Haiti by the slaves dragged there from their homeland.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 12:55 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Jonsi wrote:

Really, so where do you see this? I'm supposing you're referring to events in Exodus, such as where the people were grumbling about being "rescued from comfortable slavery in Egypt only to die in the desert" and then being provided more to eat and drink, and then complaining so more rather than being grateful? Or do you mean about the flood where God was fed up with 1,656 years of violence and corruption upon the face of the Earth and decided to wipe away what he made with the exception of a relatively small handful of people and land dwelling animals aboard a recolonization "ship" which was designed to just float it out? Or I suppose you mean something from Revelation properly decontextualized to eliminate any fault of those being punished?

If your wife were one of the victims of the 9/11 events (as an example), you wouldn't be saying what you said above.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 1:30 am

"If your wife were one of the victims of the 9/11 events (as an example), you wouldn't be saying what you said above."

Are we to take that as implying that IF God exists he must be held accountable for the 911 incidents and all others like them, including the untimely death of my friend and mentor WW?

Just want to get you straight.