Recommend some blasphemous books and movies

Page 1 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 2:42 am

There's "Religulous" starring that comic who's name escapes right now - its quite good.

If you're more into blasphemy than quality then you should watch Sarah Silverman's "Jesus is Magic" which is so blasphemous that it managed to offend even a not particularly religous viewer like me, but was only so-so as a film.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 7:25 am

pandabear wrote:
In John Safran's Race Relations, among other things, he pulls off a fake wedding with a relative of Osama bin Laden

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG05GhWwz0U[/youtube]

...and looks into undoing his circumcision

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFOwWaAL6ng[/youtube]

I am tight-cut and damned proud of it. A circumcised dong is a better dong. God screwed up when He invented foreskins. Apparently He did not properly foresee the horrors of smegma. Which is why he ordered Abraham to go snip snip with himself and his male progeny. The best, smartest and brightest people in the world are circumcised.

ruveyn

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 5:52 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smegma

Quote:
In males, smegma helps keep the glans moist and facilitates sexual intercourse by acting as a lubricant.

It doesn't sound that horrible. Is that what they teach you at Bar Mitzvah school?

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 5:58 pm

ruveyn wrote:
I am tight-cut and damned proud of it. A circumcised dong is a better dong. God screwed up when He invented foreskins. Apparently He did not properly foresee the horrors of smegma. Which is why he ordered Abraham to go snip snip with himself and his male progeny. The best, smartest and brightest people in the world are circumcised.

Those "best, smartest and brightest people in the world" failed to prevent Christianity from becoming so popular.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 6:18 pm

ruveyn wrote:
pandabear wrote:
In John Safran's Race Relations, among other things, he pulls off a fake wedding with a relative of Osama bin Laden

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG05GhWwz0U[/youtube]

...and looks into undoing his circumcision

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFOwWaAL6ng[/youtube]

ruveyn

Socrates, Aristotle, Kepler, Darwin, etc. were snipped?

(Just to let you know, like most Americans, regardless of religion, I too have indeed been snipped.)

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Dione
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Feb 2011, 12:20 pm

People have mentioned Life of Brian, but nobody has mentioned Dogma. I will tell you that anything with Jay and Silent Bob talking about religion is both brilliant and very sacreligious. Consider that the cast also contains Chris Rock and the late great George Carlin, you've got a pretty good line up. I will warn, however, that it's a bit low brow, so those with more sophisticated humor may not appreciate it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 2:08 pm

Dione wrote:
People have mentioned Life of Brian, but nobody has mentioned Dogma. I will tell you that anything with Jay and Silent Bob talking about religion is both brilliant and very sacreligious. Consider that the cast also contains Chris Rock and the late great George Carlin, you've got a pretty good line up. I will warn, however, that it's a bit low brow, so those with more sophisticated humor may not appreciate it.

I absolutely loved Dogma!

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 10:13 pm

Thanks very much. I'm downloading it now.

mightypen515
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2011, 12:44 am

As far as blasphemous goes, there's plenty that are obvious...what you do all think of The Man From Earth as a blasphemous film?
If you haven't seen it, it's on Netflix. It's basically philosophy made into a movie that features a small group of friends at a going-away part for a dude who tells them he's a caveman who just hasn't died yet. Incredibly interesting film, great dialogue, everything takes place in one room in a cabin. Loved this film.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 3:19 am

mightypen515 wrote:
As far as blasphemous goes, there's plenty that are obvious...what you do all think of The Man From Earth as a blasphemous film?
If you haven't seen it, it's on Netflix. It's basically philosophy made into a movie that features a small group of friends at a going-away part for a dude who tells them he's a caveman who just hasn't died yet. Incredibly interesting film, great dialogue, everything takes place in one room in a cabin. Loved this film.

I truly must check that out.

mightypen515
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2011, 7:45 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
mightypen515 wrote:

Dude, awesome, please do! and get back with me!

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 2:56 pm

Well, "Dogma" was indeed a great film.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 10:01 pm

I just finished Bill Maher's Religulous. Excellent material!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 4:14 am

mightypen515 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
mightypen515 wrote:

Dude, awesome, please do! and get back with me!

My wife and I just watched it tonight. She wasn't exactly overwhelmed by it, but I thought it was a pretty decent film. And it did in fact have some pretty impressive dialogue. The one thing that really took me by surprise though, was how the older psychiatrist Grubber, was in fact the immortal Cro Magnon's son.
As a side note, the movie reminded me of a poem I wrote back in college, about an undying Neanderthal who awakens in a cheap hotel room after a night of drinking an sex, with dreams of his prehistoric past fading as he awakes.
I seriously doubt I could successfully sue.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 6:14 pm

If you like blasphemous material, then you may enjoy "C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xIVUiiz1dc[/youtube]

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 8:10 pm

pandabear wrote:
If you like blasphemous material, then you may enjoy "C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xIVUiiz1dc[/youtube]

I actually caught that on IFC a few years ago. I took it as very compelling satire, but I know there are neo-confederate types who would see the ridiculing of the southern ideal as the height of blasphemy.