Page 1 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 1:23 am

ikorack wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Yes, actually, it does.

Because sociopaths are known for committing themselves to future generations of the weak?

Not all sociopaths are exactly alike.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 1:26 am

dunbots wrote:
ikorack wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Yes, actually, it does.

Because sociopaths are known for committing themselves to future generations of the weak?

She is asserting that this behavior regardless of the cause or motivation places you as a sociopath. Which is just silly.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 1:27 am

Ah, true. Yeah, that's silly. :P

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 2:53 am

ikorack wrote:
dunbots wrote:
ikorack wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Yes, actually, it does.

She is asserting that this behavior regardless of the cause or motivation places you as a sociopath. Which is just silly.

I didn't assert any such thing. Sociopaths are more likely to commit crimes like this. Often times, they do pull in a beat down and bullied accomplice with them. They aren't sociopaths.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 2:55 am

ikorack wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Yes, actually, it does.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking me here.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 3:02 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
ikorack wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Yes, actually, it does.

He's implying that the shooter you are discussing committed himself to future generations of victimized people like him, and since he committed such a 'selfless' act is therefore not a sociopath. However, despite what said shooter wrote, I would agree with you that he probably could have been a sociopath. Sociopaths are often narcissists so it is entirely reasonable to assume that he thought of himself as a hero

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 3:06 am

Vigilans wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
ikorack wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Yes, actually, it does.

He's implying that the shooter you are discussing committed himself to future generations of victimized people like him, and since he committed such a 'selfless' act is therefore not a sociopath. However, despite what said shooter wrote, I would agree with you that he probably could have been a sociopath. Sociopaths are often narcissists so it is entirely reasonable to assume that he thought of himself as a hero

Wasn't Charles Manson a sociopath?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 3:17 am

Good question. Most likely. I hate how much admiration he gets from some young people. He was no philosopher he only wanted to further his crappy music career and exploited others to do so with pseudo-philosophical garbage and brainwashing

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 3:18 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Wasn't Charles Manson a sociopath?

Very likely.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 3:19 am

ikorack wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Yes, actually, it does.

Zero at psychology. :P

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 3:29 am

Vigilans wrote:
Good question. Most likely. I hate how much admiration he gets from some young people. He was no philosopher he only wanted to further his crappy music career and exploited others to do so with pseudo-philosophical garbage and brainwashing

Exactly my point. He instilled himself within the younger generation too, did he not?

So, if we are to accept the possibility he was a sociopath, then we are to accept the fact that some sociopaths martyr themselves. After all, what's a martyr but a person just a step below godly?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 3:31 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

Exactly my point. He instilled himself within the younger generation too, did he not?

So, if we are to accept the possibility he was a sociopath, then we are to accept the fact that some sociopaths martyr themselves. After all, what's a martyr but a person just a step below godly?

Oh, absolutely. Like I said, many sociopaths also have narcissistic personality disorder. The Dawson college shooter here in Montreal believed he was fighting the establishment or some other generic internet conspiracy garbage. All he did was kill a teenage girl and wound several others before being killed himself (or maybe he committed suicide, I don't remember). So they are definitely sociopaths, in that they don't see how they are harming ordinary people with their delusions of grandeur and false martyrdom

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 3:37 am

Right.

Sociopaths fascinate me. I've studied quite a few of them over the years. My interest started when I realized I knew one.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 3:44 am

Natty_Boh wrote:
Same thing, at root, that causes suicide bombings. It just gets plugged into a different framework.

I'm not so sure; in a weird sort of way I tend to think of suicide bombers as being optimists and idealist since they think their one relatively insignificant act will have a major effect on what tend to be entrenched ongoing situations. I think school shooters usually are more about revenge and/or self aggrandizement, I don't see the perverse altruism that seems to motivate the average suicide bomber.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 3:48 am

Dox47 wrote:
Natty_Boh wrote:
Same thing, at root, that causes suicide bombings. It just gets plugged into a different framework.

I'm not so sure; in a weird sort of way I tend to think of suicide bombers as being optimists and idealist since they think their one relatively insignificant act will have a major effect on what tend to be entrenched ongoing situations. I think school shooters usually are more about revenge and/or self aggrandizement, I don't see the perverse altruism that seems to motivate the average suicide bomber.

I believe suicide bombers tend to be lapdogs to sociopaths.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 3:48 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Sociopaths. Period.

Really?

Here is part of what Seung-Hui Cho said in the video he sent to NBC News before his shooting.

"You have vandalized my heart, raped my soul, and torched my conscience. You thought it was one pathetic boy's life you were extinguishing. Thanks to you, I die like Jesus Christ, to inspire generations of the weak and defenseless people."

Do those sound like to words of a sociopath to you?

Seung-Hui Cho has been suspected of having some form of autism (I know a lot here would disagree with this but it's a fair diagnosis in his case even if it's not accurate), but he was also sociopathic in his behavior and it's his sociopathic traits that made him do the school shootings.

So, yes, a sociopath would easily say the things above. He was clearly psychologically disturbed ... just like a sociopath.