Page 1 of 4 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 10:39 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W07bFa4TzM&feature=player_embedded#at=17[/youtube]

Shouldn't you at least try to make your protagonist seem like less of a complete scum?

Eh, it'll have its following of crazy morons just like the Left Behind series does.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 10:47 am

That looks like an interesting flick!

Last edited by leejosepho on 14 Feb 2011, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 11:03 am

Their enthusiasm to see the world end is quite poor judgment.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 11:04 am

I'd watch it, if they had any decent sex scenes.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 11:07 am

pandabear wrote:

You'll have to go through a nightmare of a monologue to get to it, though.

I wonder if the fanatics will preserve the full length of the monologue?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 11:16 am

@skafather84: I just screwed up big time and hit "edit" while meaning to respond to your post, and I hope you will accept my sincere apology.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 11:29 am

leejosepho wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Eh, it'll have its following of crazy morons ...

Ah now, which is it ...

===============
Moron: mild mental retardation.

Crazy: mentally deranged; demented; insane.
===============

Either way, that looks like an interesting flick!

Not mutually exclusive categories. Let him be.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 11:31 am

Philologos wrote:
Not mutually exclusive categories. Let him be.

I understand, and I made my big "edit" goof while trying to acknowledge that.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 11:41 am

leejosepho wrote:
@skafather84: I just screwed up big time and hit "edit" while meaning to respond to your post, and I hope you will accept my sincere apology.

:(

Apology accepted. You know (for future reference) you could possibly just hit the back button a couple times to see the original text that may have been edited out and simply copy that back into place.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 1:08 pm

I read the book. It's extremely repetitive. Whole passages would be slightly altered and restated several times. I would continually scratch my head and think, "didnt she just say this exact thing four pages ago?"

It's a political manifesto disguised as fiction. And she really, really wants to get her point across. Her point being that captains of industry who invent something new are gods, and everyone else is a parasite, a moocher, or scum of some sort.

There is a funny quote about Atlas Shrugged:

Quote:
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.

The other, of course, involves orcs.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 1:24 pm

simon_says wrote:
Her point being that captains of industry who invent something new are gods, and everyone else is a parasite, a moocher, or scum of some sort.

Being someone who creates, I laugh at this just because there is no such thing as invention in that kind of sense. Invention is simply a means of seeing things in a different light and bringing it to realization. Interpretation and different angles. And that also is based on the idea that the captains of industry are the actual creators themselves when that is rarely the case; particularly in modernity.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 1:56 pm

skafather84 wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W07bFa4TzM&feature=player_embedded#at=17[/youtube]

Shouldn't you at least try to make your protagonist seem like less of a complete scum?

Eh, it'll have its following of crazy morons just like the Left Behind series does.

Blahs-eh? faire topic

Why now? Who is Ayn Rand? And what is her relevance? Are Middle East dictatorships not falling fast enough?

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 3:50 pm

I hate books that have an obvious message just by reading the summary but are used in literature classes as if they are supposed to be massively complex government essays that we have to analyze every single freakin chapter of.

Thus I hate George Orwell and Ayn Rand novels.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 4:25 pm

The trailer did look kind of low rent, I wasn't even aware that a film adaptation was in the works.

PJW
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Feb 2011, 8:46 pm

pandabear wrote:

If it follows the book, there should be.

And this is what I hate. Invention is creation. And you can't make a dime off invention unless there is some social benefit, even if it is kitchy and has nothing to do with medicine and is only leisurely pursuit, like say, an i-pad or something. If people don't want it, you won't make money. Funnily enough, people want reliable electricity and steel that doesn't fail and trains that run on time. I wonder, will you read the book and then actually deconstruct the inherent nobility of the phrase

"Money is made... Made by honest men, each according to his ability"

And, of course,

"So, you say money is the root of all evil?... Have you ever wondered what is the root of all money?"

We hate industrialists because they made money. Ayn Rand, and I, hate Robin Hood because he said it's okay to take money from the rich for no better reason than you're poor, and that the rich should just take it, because they're productive.

I mean, really, don't you see with your eyes? Being poor doesn't entitle you to the wealth that someone else legitimately made, and that was never STOLEN from you. If you never had it, how was it stolen? Answer me that. Especially when you live in the same country with the same opportunity to make the same money in the same way as the alleged Robber Baron made it off of your indolence and indifference and entitlement to something you could otherwise make if you bothered to invest of yourself.

Try it some time. Remove the ideology and what do you have? America as still the most innovative nation on Earth with the highest endowment of intellectual capital. Such is why America is still the richest nation on Earth.

China steals, it doesn't innovate. How can you support such an ignorant position? John Galt, love him or loathe him, was right to do what he did. The Left said they didn't need the Industrialist's mind in order to produce. They lived in a world without causality, only effect. If you took the causality away, the Industrialist, it won't take away his achievement or production. That wasn't what they were doing. Didn't he see that? No. He didn't. So, he took them all away. And what happened? The world collapsed.

SIGH!

You'll never listen, neither will you agree with me. But, maybe 91 was right when he PM'ed me, telling me I should set up a thread in defence of Ayn Rand. It amazes me that people will accept wealth for no reason and then denigrate those that make it of their own accord. Just because you're poor or not as smart as someone else, doesn't entitle you to wealth or someone else's achievement. I would have thought that, especially in such an enlightened age as ours, that this was standard fare of moral responsibility throughout the Western World...

- Pascal Bruckner