Page 3 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

On the budget crisis in Wisconsin, I say...
Poll ended at 27 May 2011, 1:13 pm
Where? What? *runs to google* 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Lynch the Governor for union busting. Workers' Revolt! 61%  61%  [ 20 ]
Fire the union workers! They get paid too much anyway! 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
Protests scare me...just...make them stop. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
They're protesting somewhere? Let me get my sign...and my molotov cocktails. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Doesn't effect me, so I don't care. 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
Your polls are stupid, your topic is stupid, and I'm going to tell you why... 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 33

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

26 Feb 2011, 7:56 pm

The tax cut was one of the main things Walker ran on. He wants to attract business and jobs to the state. The shortfall for the next budget is expected by be 3.6 billion dollars and I explained how hey they covered the last budget shortfall. Wisconsin is in a dire fiscal situation.

The protests are futile. It's going to turn people against the unions more so than they already are and there is no way they can win. I wish they walk off their jobs since it would show us how little we actually need these people. There are plenty of unemployed people in this state and else where that love to have these jobs.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 8:01 pm

It may be that you are prophet and what you say will come to pass. Peace be upon you.

It hasnt yet:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/201 ... sp=usat.me

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 8:38 pm

Walker was running on the equivalent of promising to create jobs with a voodoo dance because the voodoo economics he advocates has never worked anywhere at any time. He still blew a hole in the budget in an attempt to bribe some rich people somewhere (and paying off the rich people who already run operations in the state) into opening up shop in his state. This is pathetic Third World potentate economics. This is rank stupidity and corruption of the highest order. To demand that workers pay for this kind of idiocy demands severe punishment.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 8:53 pm

xenon13 wrote:
Walker was running on the equivalent of promising to create jobs with a voodoo dance because the voodoo economics he advocates has never worked anywhere at any time. He still blew a hole in the budget in an attempt to bribe some rich people somewhere (and paying off the rich people who already run operations in the state) into opening up shop in his state. This is pathetic Third World potentate economics. This is rank stupidity and corruption of the highest order. To demand that workers pay for this kind of idiocy demands severe punishment.

No. There was a huge hole in the budget either way. A billion dollars of our last budget was paid off with federal stimulus money. Doyle simply kicked the can down the road in terms of dealing with fiscal crisis in this state.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 9:13 pm

everyone here understands that tax cuts are the same thing as spending as far as the government is concerned, right?

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 9:25 pm

skafather84 wrote:
everyone here understands that tax cuts are the same thing as spending as far as the government is concerned, right?

According to people like Jacoby tax cuts somehow pay for themselves. :roll: It's not a revenue problem it's a spending problem.... duh durrr durrr.... bzzzzzzzzt. WRONG.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 9:34 pm

marshall wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

According to people like Jacoby tax cuts somehow pay for themselves. :roll: It's not a revenue problem it's a spending problem.... duh durrr durrr.... bzzzzzzzzt. WRONG.

Even the guy responsible for everything (Greenspan) has finally owned up to the fact that tax cuts do not pay for themselves.

Tax cuts only pay for themselves on a much larger macro scale only so far as growth is an absolute guarantee.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 11:10 pm

Philologos wrote:
What makes this a "Worker's Revolt" anyway?

Nothing I have seen or heard says anything but they got teachers partying in the capitol.

what makes you think teachers are NOT workers? the lions' share of teachers ARE lower-middle-class, at least by dint of income, in most of suburban america. outside of social work, they are the lowest-paid graduate-level professionals. teachers ARE workers, without any doubt, and that koch-hoe of a governor is trying his level-best to make state employees de facto working-class exiles from the middle-class, without any comprehension of why any professional in their right mind wouldn't pursue a job in a state where one whole political party would have such professionals stuck in the ghetto of third-class pay and second-class citizenship. his dogma is a certain recipe for further qualified teacher shortages in coming years. but the kochites just don't give a damn about anything outside of their own feathered nests. :roll:

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 11:57 pm

That teachers work and may be classed as workers I neither doubt nor deny and why should I, as a teacher, son of two teachers and grandson of a longtime substitute teacher, brother of three teachers, brother-in-law of three teachers, and son-in-law of two teachers running a private school?

You can't tell me much about teachers I have not experienced first hand or heard at most second-hand.

BUT :

You call something a Workers' Revolt and unless they changed the rules of English to suit sensationalist media it needs to be a whole heap of different types of workers, and they got to be doing more than sleepovers in the capitol.

Calling it Workers' revolt - unless it has really escalated snce the last news my wife read me - is like when the students sat with the faculty, nodded and said yes and no and thank you when the chairman proclaimed policy, and then called it a Confrontation.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 12:14 am

Government employees should never have been allowed to unionize in the first place; the negotiation dynamics are just too cozy and lead to endemic corruption. Even FDR was against public sector unionizing, and coming from him that really says something. I hope Walker stands his ground, and that other state governors follow his example in the coming months and years.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 12:46 am

A fundamental thought....

I've been opposed to Teacher's Unions more than most any other form of union because they really do not deserve a union.

Having worked in some lousy places that I felt needed a union on the side of the workers, and having seen industries where I can see the need for the union to be there to prevent worker exploitation, I find that teachers are a class of worker who clearly DOES NOT deserve such a mechanism.

Here is why....RESULTS!

The US education system is falling apart. We've doubled the amount of money going into education and we have worse results than before. Granted, a large part of the problem are federal education standards and programs. The most that should happen on a national level are agreements on uniform educational standards, but anything more than that interferes with letting the states and localities run schools as they see best.

In spite of all that, kids are not turning out better than the generation before. American students are falling behind, and much of this mess is a lack of leadership in the school systems. Too many "chiefs" and not enough "indians." Perhaps not the best analogy, but what happened to the good old days of suspending/expelling problem kids so the learning environment was preserved? What happened to the good old days of teachers/administrators being able to administer corporal punishment for unruly kids or making the parents come to school and administer the punishment?

Teachers have been regulated to babysitters, and the vast majority of them in many places are content to accept that rather than revolt against the status quo and do something so they are educators, not babysitters.

For all the griping I hear from teachers....most will not lift a finger to change things. Those most bothered simply go to a private school that lets them actually teach or they change professions altogether.

The UNION is supposed to be improving workplace conditions. You'd think teachers' unions would fight to restore the sanctity of the classroom so teachers can effectively educate kids. Instead, it's all about power, politics, pay and benefits. The children aren't even a top priority of the union.

If I had a union shop and the workers were producing a crappy product, I'd not only refuse to raise compensation, but I'd be looking to clean out my staff for new workers who would work and produce a quality product. You want better pay and benefits, prove to me that you've done something to earn it other than take up space while on the clock.

Find a copy of the movie "Waiting for Superman." An eye-opener about what most teacher's unions have become.

HENCE, I think it is long overdue that some of these unions got busted. They aren't working towards a mutually-beneficial goal. They are all about self-serving and self-dealing at the expense of people (the students and the taxpayers) who get no say in the matter. They've gone over two decades with no evidence that their members deserve the pay and benefits they currently enjoy, and they've become part of the problem, not part of the solution.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 1:19 am

zer0netgain wrote:
A fundamental thought....

I've been opposed to Teacher's Unions more than most any other form of union because they really do not deserve a union.

Having worked in some lousy places that I felt needed a union on the side of the workers, and having seen industries where I can see the need for the union to be there to prevent worker exploitation, I find that teachers are a class of worker who clearly DOES NOT deserve such a mechanism.

Here is why....RESULTS!

The US education system is falling apart. We've doubled the amount of money going into education and we have worse results than before. Granted, a large part of the problem are federal education standards and programs. The most that should happen on a national level are agreements on uniform educational standards, but anything more than that interferes with letting the states and localities run schools as they see best.

In spite of all that, kids are not turning out better than the generation before. American students are falling behind, and much of this mess is a lack of leadership in the school systems. Too many "chiefs" and not enough "indians." Perhaps not the best analogy, but what happened to the good old days of suspending/expelling problem kids so the learning environment was preserved? What happened to the good old days of teachers/administrators being able to administer corporal punishment for unruly kids or making the parents come to school and administer the punishment?

Teachers have been regulated to babysitters, and the vast majority of them in many places are content to accept that rather than revolt against the status quo and do something so they are educators, not babysitters.

For all the griping I hear from teachers....most will not lift a finger to change things. Those most bothered simply go to a private school that lets them actually teach or they change professions altogether.

The UNION is supposed to be improving workplace conditions. You'd think teachers' unions would fight to restore the sanctity of the classroom so teachers can effectively educate kids. Instead, it's all about power, politics, pay and benefits. The children aren't even a top priority of the union.

If I had a union shop and the workers were producing a crappy product, I'd not only refuse to raise compensation, but I'd be looking to clean out my staff for new workers who would work and produce a quality product. You want better pay and benefits, prove to me that you've done something to earn it other than take up space while on the clock.

Find a copy of the movie "Waiting for Superman." An eye-opener about what most teacher's unions have become.

HENCE, I think it is long overdue that some of these unions got busted. They aren't working towards a mutually-beneficial goal. They are all about self-serving and self-dealing at the expense of people (the students and the taxpayers) who get no say in the matter. They've gone over two decades with no evidence that their members deserve the pay and benefits they currently enjoy, and they've become part of the problem, not part of the solution.

look at that nordic snakepit Finland that has nearly 100% unionized teachers
ranks 6th 2nd an 3rd in math reading and science I can only assume these are not like golf scores.
becase americas are much much higher 30th 23rd and 17th.

shanghi china failed miserably with rankings 1st 1st and 1st and they are communists.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 1:36 am

And no, it's not a worker's revolt since they're still working. They took a few days off last week but they all went back to work on monday since the union instructed them to. The protesters now are mainly college students from UW-Madison and bussed in union activists from around the country. The actual teachers and other government workers that are there now have commute after work if it at all.

Our teachers and other government employees pay and benefits will still be better than 90% of the country even after this passes, so way to exaggerate there Ska. I've actually lived in some pretty rough parts of Milwaukee and I can tell you as a fact that these teachers live as far as legally possible from these areas and not that I blame them but they're no where close to borderline poverty. The fact that 24 other states have similar policies when it comes to negotiating with unions should tell you all this apocalyptic rhetoric is bullcrap.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 2:33 am

Good relatively succinct explanation of some of the issues with public sector unions from David Brooks:

Quote:
Let’s try to put aside the hyperventilation. Everybody now seems to agree that Governor Walker was right to ask state workers to pay more for their benefits. Even if he gets everything he asks for, Wisconsin state workers would still be contributing less to their benefits than the average state worker nationwide and would be contributing far, far less than private sector workers.

The more difficult question is whether Walker was right to try to water down Wisconsin’s collective bargaining agreements. Even if you acknowledge the importance of unions in representing middle-class interests, there are strong arguments on Walker’s side. In Wisconsin and elsewhere, state-union relations are structurally out of whack.

That’s because public sector unions and private sector unions are very different creatures. Private sector unions push against the interests of shareholders and management; public sector unions push against the interests of taxpayers. Private sector union members know that their employers could go out of business, so they have an incentive to mitigate their demands; public sector union members work for state monopolies and have no such interest. Private sector unions confront managers who have an incentive to push back against their demands. Public sector unions face managers who have an incentive to give into them for the sake of their own survival. Most important, public sector unions help choose those they negotiate with. Through gigantic campaign contributions and overall clout, they have enormous influence over who gets elected to bargain with them, especially in state and local races.

As a result of these imbalanced incentive structures, states with public sector unions tend to run into fiscal crises. They tend to have workplaces where personnel decisions are made on the basis of seniority, not merit. There is little relationship between excellence and reward, which leads to resentment among taxpayers who don’t have that luxury.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 3:07 am

This could be the issue that pushes Blue Collar voters back into the arms of the Democrats, as it was in the 30's. I'm hoping for draconian union busting Randroid Governors in most states.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 4:29 am

jamieboy wrote:
This could be the issue that pushes Blue Collar voters back into the arms of the Democrats, as it was in the 30's. I'm hoping for draconian union busting Randroid Governors in most states.

I said it in another post. Democrats are mostly pro-corporate now, like the Republicans. There's essentially no difference. The Democrats just act ambiguous enough to get unions, environmentalists, social democrats, etc, to vote for them, but when they're in office, they just stay really passive on the progressive issues they campaigned on. They're fully supportive of bailouts for Wall Street though. Our political system is broken and ineffective. Both sides are just puppets on separate hands of the same corporate master.