Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 6:51 pm

If there is one thing im really intolerant to is the hate groups on earth that spread their mindless hate mongering such as WBC, KKK, Autism Speaks, Neo Nazis, Aryan Nations, Aryan Army, Taliban, etc.......

Is there anything wrong with that at all? lol

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

01 Mar 2011, 6:55 pm

If you're intolerant of the intolerant, are you intolerant of yourself for being intolerant?

I like how Autism Speaks is randomly in there haha

Last edited by Jacoby on 01 Mar 2011, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 6:56 pm

:lmao:

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 7:06 pm

Jacoby wrote:
If you're intolerant of the intolerant, are you intolerant of yourself for being intolerant?

as far as im aware Autism Speaks advocates a cure for autism so they a hate group in my book

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 7:18 pm

do they sponsor the site, or is there a difference with autism talks?

PJW
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Mar 2011, 7:30 pm

TheKing wrote:
If there is one thing im really intolerant to is the hate groups on earth that spread their mindless hate mongering such as WBC, KKK, Autism Speaks, Neo Nazis, Aryan Nations, Aryan Army, Taliban, etc.......

No. The wrong is the logical fallacy of being tolerant of intolerance in the name of promoting tolerance.

- Pascal Bruckner

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 9:23 pm

PJW wrote:
TheKing wrote:

No. The wrong is the logical fallacy of being tolerant of intolerance in the name of promoting tolerance.

exactly

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 9:25 pm

"Intolerant of the intolerant" is a lazy description. I prefer "intolerant of the mentally lazy". These are people who accept any kind of excuse with the minimal amount of mental work involved to comprehend the explanation; so, "mentally lazy" is what I use.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 10:37 pm

In a liberal-democratic society, the challenge has always been how to deal with speech and political organization that is fundamentally illiberal: intolerant or seeking to overthrow the democratic government. In the United States, we've generally sought to counteract bad speech with good and bad political organization with better (with exceptions through our history of course). Neo-Nazis and the KKK have free speech and free assembly, but they're widely maligned. We don't actively forbid their beliefs.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 10:39 pm

TheKing wrote:

Who in the heck is the WBC?

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 10:45 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
TheKing wrote:

Who in the heck is the WBC?

why you looking to join? :lol: <-- Joke I know that you are a good guy.
I assume Westboro Baptist Church?
-Jake

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 11:04 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
In a liberal-democratic society, the challenge has always been how to deal with speech and political organization that is fundamentally illiberal: intolerant or seeking to overthrow the democratic government. In the United States, we've generally sought to counteract bad speech with good and bad political organization with better (with exceptions through our history of course). Neo-Nazis and the KKK have free speech and free assembly, but they're widely maligned. We don't actively forbid their beliefs.

Actively trying to forbid them would be as productive as the war on drugs.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 4:59 am

skafather84 wrote:
"Intolerant of the intolerant" is a lazy description. I prefer "intolerant of the mentally lazy". These are people who accept any kind of excuse with the minimal amount of mental work involved to comprehend the explanation; so, "mentally lazy" is what I use.

Heh indeed. I've met plenty of wannabe Nazi muffins who lacked any real understanding of what they were preaching, nor even grasped the irony of a Nationalist hero-worshipping a foreigner.

And LOL at Autism Speaks. Not just because they're in the OP list of intolerance. LOL in general at them.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 7:08 am

What about if we use the word 'acceptance' instead. It gives it a different flavour, but means the same. I accept that intolerance exists and arises on this plane of existence, and where possible I attempt to do something I consider positive to change it.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 8:54 am

TheKing wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

as far as im aware Autism Speaks advocates a cure for autism so they a hate group in my book

As long as it isn't forced upon people it's fine. Many would gladly take a cure.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 9:11 am

TheKing wrote:
PJW wrote:
The wrong is the logical fallacy of being tolerant of intolerance in the name of promoting tolerance.

exactly

At face value, yes. However, there is a certain type of tolerance occasionally found necessary and/or useful even while nevertheless remaining intolerant:

"Most of us sense that real tolerance of other people's shortcomings and viewpoints and a respect for their opinions are attitudes which make us more useful to others." ("A.A.", the book, page 19)

Said viewpoints and shortcomings are worthless, we know, yet we must tolerate each others' rights to have them while yet trying to sort things out.