V.P. Mike Pence Attends Fundraiser in Orange County CA.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2019, 3:05 pm

Quote:
HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. - Vice President Mike Pence is in Orange County Wednesday to attend a fundraising luncheon.  Pence and his wife were greeted by dozens of people as soon as they got off the plane.  The fundraiser at an undisclosed location in Huntington Beach will be one of several events during a two-day California swing for the vice president.  Citing an invitation for the event, the Orange County Register reported that tickets to the fundraiser range from $1,000 to $25,000.

Source: This FOX News Report.

Golly ... I wonder which economic class of people the Pence/Trump/GOP team is pandering to this time?

:roll: Certainly not the Middle Class, Working Class, Poor, or Homeless...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2019, 11:00 pm

Fnord wrote:
Golly ... I wonder which economic class of people the Pence/Trump/GOP team is pandering to this time?

:roll: Certainly not the Middle Class, Working Class, Poor, or Homeless...

Of course, it is so much easier and more efficient to raise funds quickly from the Middle Class, Working Class, Poor, or Homeless... :roll:

I'd be very surprised if both sides didn't run there sorts of fundraisers, aimed at those with the available money, but it's easy to take cheap shots at the "other side" when they do it...

Personally, I'd base my assumptions as to who a politician is trying to help on the outcome of their actions (For example, has unemployment risen or dropped, has income increased or decreased across each level [1]), rather than the claims they make or who\where they raise funds from.

[1] I ignore the "income gap" argument, as a 1% increase for someone on $1 million is still going to cause the gap to grow, even if those on $30,000 had a 20% increase - $10,000 > $6,000. Regardless on what high income earners gain, the important question is whether the lower income people have their income increase at higher level than inflation, with one of the easiest ways being to lower unemployment rate, as this forces employers to raise wages in order to attract/retain staff. A high unemployment level, on the other hand, means low wages as people are desperate to have any job, while businesses can save money as a result, putting more in the hands of the "wealthy".

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Nov 2019, 9:00 am

Yeah not remotely convinced by this line of attack. Until the US gets robust campaign finance reform, all parties will need to hold exclusive fundraisers.

Mr Trump holds lots of barnstorming "rallies" in working-class areas so I don't think he can be accused of elitism, at least on that particular front.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2019, 9:03 am

Brictoria wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Golly ... I wonder which economic class of people the Pence/Trump/GOP team is pandering to this time?  Certainly not the Middle Class, Working Class, Poor, or Homeless...
Of course, it is so much easier and more efficient to raise funds quickly from the Middle Class, Working Class, Poor, or Homeless...
(Your sarcasm is noted.)  And that's the point.  Mr. Pence & Co. are not interested in the "Lower Classes" because we don't have the disposable income to finance presidential campaigns.  In this respect, he's just like Clinton and Obama.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2019, 9:09 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Yeah not remotely convinced by this line of attack. Until the US gets robust campaign finance reform, all parties will need to hold exclusive fundraisers.
Not so much a "line of attack" as an expression of disappointment.  I, for one, had expected a more inclusive attitude toward potential donors from a man who professes to be a follower of Jesus, the Christ.
The_Walrus wrote:
Mr Trump holds lots of barnstorming "rallies" in working-class areas so I don't think he can be accused of elitism, at least on that particular front.
As far as money is concerned, a rich man's wealth is as good as a poor man's pennies to Mr. Trump.  He's all about greed, pride, and power.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2019, 11:33 am

Union workers support TRUMP because he supports them with tariffs.

He calls himself , Tariff Man

STEEL, ALUMINUM, Chinese imports ...

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 2:03 am

Fnord wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Golly ... I wonder which economic class of people the Pence/Trump/GOP team is pandering to this time?  Certainly not the Middle Class, Working Class, Poor, or Homeless...
Of course, it is so much easier and more efficient to raise funds quickly from the Middle Class, Working Class, Poor, or Homeless...
(Your sarcasm is noted.)  And that's the point.  Mr. Pence & Co. are not interested in the "Lower Classes" because we don't have the disposable income to finance presidential campaigns.  In this respect, he's just like Clinton and Obama.

It's just a shame you stopped reading my reply at this point, rather than reading on...

Instead of making assumptions based on how you think the individual parties work (or how they raise funds), you should look at the actual results of their policies.

From outside the US, he appears to be trying to assist US workers (as opposed to workers in the US) through:
* Trying to bring manufacturing and other jobs which had been taken offshore back to the USA
* Trying to cut down on the number of non-US workers in the country through stopping people from entering illegally.

This appears to have resulted in unemployment over there dropping (which causes wages to go up - less workers available means higher wages need to be offered to fill positions/retain staff) and the economy over there appears to be doing reasonably well.

So, he seems to have been doing things to help the Middle Class, Working Class, and Poor (working), while with low unemployment (and potentially less "illegals" taking entry level/low skill positions though being unable to enter the country), the unemployed poor and homeless have a much better opportunity to find work and so move up the ladder. How this has helped the "rich" which you imply he is pandering to, I'm not exactly sure.

Then again, I prefer to judge a person on the result of their actions, not someone's interpretation of their words or some preconceived idea of their intentions.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 9:54 am

Brictoria wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Fnord wrote:
It's just a shame you stopped reading my reply at this point, rather than reading on...
Oh, I read all of it. I just thought the rest was neither convincing nor important.

:D Just like I'm thinking right now.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 10:02 am

If he was fundraising the working class, he would be accused of robbing the poor.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 1:02 pm

And I'm certain when democratic candidates hold fundraisers in California they center them in poor neighborhoods and not Hollywood...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 3:08 pm

Antrax wrote:
And I'm certain when democratic candidates hold fundraisers in California they center them in poor neighborhoods and not Hollywood...
Which is exactly why I said that Mr. Pence is just as bad as Ms. Clinton and Mr. Obama -- none of them give a rat's turd-hole about the homeless, the poor, and the working and middle classes.