Bradley Manning hit with new charges; could face death

Page 1 of 8 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 5:22 pm

WASHINGTON — Following an intensive seven-month investigation, the Army on Wednesday filed 22 additional charges against Pfc. Bradley Manning, accused of illegally downloading tens of thousands of classified U.S. military and State Department documents that were then publicly released by WikiLeaks, military officials tell NBC News.

The most serious of the new charges is "aiding the enemy," a capital offense which carries a potential death sentence.

Pentagon and military officials say some of the classified information released by WikiLeaks contained the names of informants and others who had cooperated with U.S military forces in Afghanistan, endangering their lives. According to the officials, the U.S. military rounded up many of those named and brought them into their bases for their own protection. But, according to one military official, "We didn't get them all." Military officials tell NBC News, a small number of them have still have not been found.

Manning, 23, was first charged on July 6, 2010, with illegally downloading and transferring defense information to an "unauthorized source," when he worked as a military intelligence analyst in Baghdad. He was also charged with obtaining 150,000 classified State Department cables, many of which were also eventually released by WikiLeaks.

The charges filed Wednesday include 16 specifications of wrongfully obtaining classified material for the purpose of posting it on the Internet, knowing that the information would be accessed by the enemy. Other charges include the illegal transmission of defense information and fraud.

While conviction on the charge of "aiding the enemy" could result in the death penalty, military prosecutors recommended that he be sentenced to life in prison if convicted on that charge alone. But the presiding military judge would have the authority to dismiss the prosecution's recommendation and impose the death penalty.

Like the earlier charges, the charges made no specific mention of WikiLeaks.

Pentagon and military officials also report that investigators have made no direct link between Manning and WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.

Manning remains in custody at the U.S. Marine Brig at Quantico south of Washington, D.C., awaiting court martial proceedings.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41876046/ns ... -security/

Wonder what Glenn Greenwald has to say about this new development.

Also note that we've been torturing him for about a year now with 23 hour isolation.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 5:30 pm

What type of classified documents? Those that reveal the plans of their operations? Or those that expose some sort of corruption? If it is the former, then that jeopardizes the soldiers involved big time and he deserves hard time but not the death penalty (I don't believe in the death penalty anyways but I'm just saying). If it is the latter, then the people he exposed need to be charged instead.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 5:32 pm

What enemy? The Iraqi Resistance? How does this help the Iraqi Resistance?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 5:33 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
What type of classified documents? Those that reveal the plans of their operations? Or those that expose some sort of corruption? If it is the former, then that jeopardizes the soldiers involved big time and he deserves hard time but not the death penalty (I don't believe in the death penalty anyways but I'm just saying). If it is the latter, then the people he exposed need to be charged instead.

Most of what he exposed was the misrepresentation of the true number of casualties in the war. The classified names that have been leaked (if any...I'm still not very trustful of state-run media on this) are due to the Pentagon's refusal to assist Wikileaks with the redacting; which, Wikileaks did attempt to work with them, however, the Pentagon refused.

There's a lot of grasping at straws to justify his torture and upcoming execution but there really isn't much of any other than pantsing the Pentagon.

If he's executed, I'm going to Washington, money be damned.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 5:48 pm

The most serious of the new charges is "aiding the enemy," a capital offense which carries a potential death sentence.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41876046/ns ... -security/

Translation out of the PC lingo: He is being charged with Treason.

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_Th ... nstitution

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 5:50 pm

Inuyasha wrote:

Thanks for the unnecessary translation.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 5:51 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Treason is potentially a capital offense.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 5:53 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Treason is potentially a capital offense.

Unless you're Scooter Libby.

However, I don't think that what Manning did constitutes treason so much as it constitutes another whistleblower being thrown to the dogs and quite literally this time.

/I'd consider the leaking of the name of a currently undercover CIA agent as a treasonous act

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 5:57 pm

America is a funny country.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 6:06 pm

Jonsi wrote:
America is a funny country.

Only in a schadenfreude sort of way.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 6:16 pm

Manning could spend several years in a Federal Prison but it is unlikely that he will be executed for his deeds. We are not legally at war with any nation and legally speaking, the U.S. has no enemies. We have adversaries, but to (legal) enemies.

ruveyn

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

02 Mar 2011, 6:47 pm

The US bombing and occupying these countries has done way more to aid the enemy than any leaked diplomatic cable. Maybe we should string up a few generals and politicians in Washington?

Last edited by Jacoby on 02 Mar 2011, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 6:48 pm

skafather84 wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:

Most of what he exposed was the misrepresentation of the true number of casualties in the war. The classified names that have been leaked (if any...I'm still not very trustful of state-run media on this) are due to the Pentagon's refusal to assist Wikileaks with the redacting; which, Wikileaks did attempt to work with them, however, the Pentagon refused.

There's a lot of grasping at straws to justify his torture and upcoming execution but there really isn't much of any other than pantsing the Pentagon.

If he's executed, I'm going to Washington, money be damned.
Goddamn MSNBC, they just had to beat around the bush and make the article vague as s**t. I've got some researching to do then I'll get back to this...

EDIT: Though I like MSNBC the least out of all mainstream media, I do know for a fact that every mainstream source is guilty of this.

Last edited by AceOfSpades on 02 Mar 2011, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 6:52 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Manning could spend several years in a Federal Prison but it is unlikely that he will be executed for his deeds. We are not legally at war with any nation and legally speaking, the U.S. has no enemies. We have adversaries, but to (legal) enemies.

ruveyn

Technically we're still at war with North Korea...

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 7:50 pm

What I'm gathering from my research so far is that he is responsible for releasing the July 2007 Apache video and the video of the Granai airstrike.

I dunno s**t about the Granai airstrike, but Wikileaks cut out the beginning and end of the Apache video which was deliberately done so it can be taken outta context. They also failed to mention that there was a firefight few minutes prior to the video released by Wikileaks. Also, everyone looks like a f*****g blob on the IR so they wouldn't have known there were children in the van. Terrorists are known for stashing s**t inside vans. It is very sad that it happened, but let's not forget that those scumbags either use children as human shields or have em within the vicinity so they could point their fingers at the US military and say "They're the bad guys!".

The group itself had an RPG and IIRC they also had AK's so they weren't just civilians. And plus a group with weapons and a camera is a reasonable suspicion since they love filming themselves. It is usually an indicator of an ambush or an IED within the vicinity

So skafather, this is about more than just the number of casualties. Why didn't you bring up the fact that he was responsible for leaking those two videos? Looks more like YOU'VE misrepresented this case. The founder of Wikileaks has even admitted that the Apache video was highly edited and editorialized.

This f****r can rot in jail. He leaked a video of a military operation where children weren't intentionally killed and the group had an RPG (the whole video reveals em throwing it to the ground after spotting the Apache so that they can appear to be civilians). He didn't leak a video of a military operation to expose any corruption since the video was highly editorialized to fool the laypeople. No goddamn ROE was violated.