Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

rocklobster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2006, 4:58 pm

I posted this in my blog on here but I wanted to see what you people would think:
We have a local preacher in the New Orleans area named Rev. Bill Shanks. He has to be one of the worst preachers ever. When hurricanes Katrina and Rita hit, he said New Orleans deserved the devestation and even went on to say that the names predicted the disaster. News flash, Rev,--we name the hurricanes, not God. God just makes them. And I doubt seriously he thinks the way you do.
His most recent act was a pro-life protest in Mississippi. At City Hall, he and other participants burned up legal documents they didn't endorse. But it didn't stop there. He also burned up a copy of the Muslim holy book, the Koran. He equates the Muslims with the "Culture of Death". While I don't condone terrorism, I believe this is an outrage. Doesn't the Bible say something about a golden rule? I'm sure even Jesus would disapprove of this. This type of preacher gives Christians a bad name. And yet, some people, including the radio announcer who hosted the radio show I heard this on, actually praise his actions. But we all know how this person would probably act if a Muslim burned a Bible. What he did is the exact same thing! We are supposed to respect others' faiths, no matter how far removed they are from Christianity. Besides, not all Muslims subscribe to terrorism. Some are indeed protesting the terrorism that has escalated because of Osama Bin Laden. Those people need to make their voices heard. Then and only then will it stop.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2006, 5:57 pm

Reminds me of that %(*% from Kansas, Rev Fred Phelps. Sounds like these two were tarred from the same brush.

On sabbatical...

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2006, 7:02 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Reminds me of that %(*% from Kansas, Rev Fred Phelps. Sounds like these two were tarred from the same brush.

Fred Phelps is defiately worse.. Only a serial killer "Killing for Christ" is worse than Fred Phelps.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2006, 10:02 pm

Scrapheap wrote:
Quatermass wrote:

Fred Phelps is defiately worse.. Only a serial killer "Killing for Christ" is worse than Fred Phelps.

Yeah, well, I think any sane person would say that Fred Phelps is some form of evil. I think that he is currently involved in a lawsuit over the legality of his protests at funerals, apparently American soldiers are dying because God hates America's support of homosexuality.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2006, 12:38 am

Islam and Terrorism are only related in that some people who are kind of like Muslims are Terrorists.

Or are called Terrorists.

The idea that god would murder people because they did something he doesn't like doesn't mean that it's wrong, it means he's a vindictive angry bastard, and that his slaughter isn't neccesarily right.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2006, 1:53 am

Look at the Irish. That's just within Christianity.

On sabbatical...

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2006, 2:00 am

'News flash, Rev,--we name the hurricanes, not God. God just makes them'

News flash rocklobster; God doesnt make hurricanes, intense low pressure does

ladakh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jul 2006, 9:44 am

Sounds to me like this Reverend Bill Shanks is little more than a hate monger. I read an article on him praising Jesus for Katrina because it ended the abortions and the mardi gras and the crime in New Orleans... this kind of talk should be sending up big red flags... an idiot full of sound and fury signifying nothing.

But don't despair- these kinds of people need constant attention- the kind that always lands them in trouble. I see this man years out disgraced and humiliated with no one to turn to as he attacks the entire world, blaming everyone for everything that is wrong with the bad decisions he has chosen to make.

His burning a Koran is a very serious act- it's like burning a crucifix or a Bible... it's defying God. These Nimrodesque actions always have their due reward.

You know the worst thing you could ever do to him? Ignore him.

lae
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2006, 1:16 pm

And if you want to get really scared, do some research about the kind of religion Dubya and his ilk support. You might want to check out the Dominionists and go from there. Those are terrorists to me.

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2006, 3:42 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Yeah, well, I think any sane person would say that Fred Phelps is some form of evil. I think that he is currently involved in a lawsuit over the legality of his protests at funerals, apparently American soldiers are dying because God hates America's support of homosexuality.

Hey you're back Awsomelyglorious!! I noticed you gone for a couple of weeks!!

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2006, 9:35 pm

Scrapheap wrote:
Hey you're back Awsomelyglorious!! I noticed you gone for a couple of weeks!!

Never really left. I just haven't felt like commenting for the most part. I did consider posting on that thread about Hitler vs Benny Hinn that you made but I didn't think I would really contribute anything new, just rehash the old point of killing people vs scamming them with the worse crime being killing them because it denies them their free will. I can choose to fall for a scam but I cannot choose to not be persecuted. Meh, whatever.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2006, 3:05 am

Mitch8817 wrote:
'News flash, Rev,--we name the hurricanes, not God. God just makes them'

News flash rocklobster; God doesnt make hurricanes, intense low pressure does

Actually, many of these changes could be attributed to global warming and shifting oceanic currents due to the fact that the polar ice caps are slowly melting. Much of the earth's weather is defined by oceanic currents, such as El Nino and whatever. If these currents shift, then the weather can start to change. That's why the warming of the oceans due to the melting of the polar ice caps will cause gigantic weather changes.

If anything, we are the ones who are indirectly creating hurricanes, because we're too stupid to change over to alternative fuels. It is primarily US and China nowadays, the only two nations refusing to ratify the Kyoto Protocol. That will do more harm than good.

Actually, the United States sort of does deserved to drown because of their stupidity, but New Orleans isn't exactly the city I'd have in mind.

- Ray M -

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2006, 3:07 am

lae wrote:
And if you want to get really scared, do some research about the kind of religion Dubya and his ilk support. You might want to check out the Dominionists and go from there. Those are terrorists to me.

Well, if you are a real conspiracy theory nut, you could argue that Dubya is maintaining the Order of the Illuminati.

- Ray M -