Page 1 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Come June 10, would you vote for a leftwing secularist above a radical right-libertarian to be WP's Most Strident Atheist given that radical right-libertarian policies lead to low levels of atheism?
I would vote for the leftwing secularist! 55%  55%  [ 18 ]
No, I would vote for the religion helping, self-hating atheist right-libertarian. 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
None of the above 30%  30%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 33

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 12:11 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
I am an atheist, yet not a frequent poster in this subforum; therefore, I am not completely certain what "Strident Atheists" are. Although I can guess by the name, I would rather have someone explain it to me; does anyone mind? I'm thinking about posting in this subforum more often.

Sorry for my stupidity on the subjects of Strident Atheists.

It's a group on WP, for us outspoken atheists, who aren't religious apologists.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 12:21 pm

ryan93 wrote:
jmnixon95 wrote:
I am an atheist, yet not a frequent poster in this subforum; therefore, I am not completely certain what "Strident Atheists" are. Although I can guess by the name, I would rather have someone explain it to me; does anyone mind? I'm thinking about posting in this subforum more often.

It's a group on WP, for us outspoken atheists, who aren't religious apologists.

Ah, thank you. I guess I assumed correctly for once.

What is being voted for on June 10th, if I may display my imbecility once more?

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 12:24 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:

Back in 2009 a poster called "Sand" complained a bit about being declared the most vocal atheist here. So, I thought it'd be an interesting idea to gauge who really was the most "strident" atheist and conducted this poll: http://www.wrongplanet.net/posts127481-start15.html

Later wards, it became a competition with a whole campaign ran by AG in which he dominated the forum. I decided that the satrical, faux electoral type of event would be dull as hell if he dominated it, so I started campaigning for Dent. There was, after that inital electoral primary, a final vote for the top 3 strident atheists conducted on a Single Transferable Vote system: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt127693.html

After seeing how nobody actively *ran against* AG last time, I decided this year I should throw my hat into the ring and tear down AG. It should be easy, as the masses of cash liberal Calvinists gave to AG are being traced by independent journalists as we speak.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 2:08 pm

ikorack wrote:
Can't a left-wing secularist be theistic? Shouldn't you add atheistic left-wing secularist as an adjective?

Sure. By many posters' estimations, I qualify as left-wing, and I am a secularist in regards to government, but I am also a theist.

Quote:
EDIT: Not very strident I would say.

Certainly not. Especially given that MP has traditionally not been concerned with religious issues as much as the purely political matters, is he really who the atheists of WP want to represent them? Surely not!

Also, he's a Catholic. That's the real reason he hasn't gotten involved in the numerous religious debates on here; he is trying to conceal his true identity as the alter-ego of 91!

Brought to you by liberal Calvinists for AG. This message was not funded or approved by any candidate or candidate's campaign committee.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 2:43 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
After seeing how nobody actively *ran against* AG last time, I decided this year I should throw my hat into the ring and tear down AG. It should be easy, as the masses of cash liberal Calvinists gave to AG are being traced by independent journalists as we speak.

I have not seen a compelling case showing that Master_Pedant is not one in the same as the poster 91. Either Master_Pedant is a closet Catholic or he was willing to use his alter-ego sock-puppet account 91 in order to secure a secret endorsement and large electronically wired campaign donation from the Vatican. Either case indicates a serious violation of the anti-theistic code of ethics. The level of campaign corruption and overt conflicts of interests displayed in the respective parties of both AG and MP should be of grave concern to all strident anti-theists. A third-party write-in candidate is strongly advised.

This message was brought to you by the Independent Coalition For The Defense Of WP Strident Atheism

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 2:47 pm

^ Then you better draft a candidate, and quick.

NobelCynic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 3:06 pm

Orwell wrote:
Especially given that MP has traditionally not been concerned with religious issues as much as the purely political matters, is he really who the atheists of WP want to represent them? Surely not!

Agreed. I think MP was a little upset at some of the shady politics AG employed to get himself elected. As I recall, in the original poll he included his own name, as well as some others, just to fill it out; it was really between AG and Sand and Sand has become a lot less strident lately. Dent hasn't been seen around here in awhile, nor has Exclavuis who might have given AG a run for his money if he had joined sooner. Some of the new ones are pretty strident though.

It is funny that they let us vote though I guess there is no way they can stop us. I gather your voting for AG, I voted for Sand last time but I might just sit out this one.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 3:22 pm

Orwell wrote:
ikorack wrote:
Can't a left-wing secularist be theistic? Shouldn't you add atheistic left-wing secularist as an adjective?

Sure. By many posters' estimations, I qualify as left-wing, and I am a secularist in regards to government, but I am also a theist.

Quote:
EDIT: Not very strident I would say.

Certainly not. Especially given that MP has traditionally not been concerned with religious issues as much as the purely political matters, is he really who the atheists of WP want to represent them? Surely not!

Also, he's a Catholic. That's the real reason he hasn't gotten involved in the numerous religious debates on here; he is trying to conceal his true identity as the alter-ego of 91!

Brought to you by liberal Calvinists for AG. This message was not funded or approved by any candidate or candidate's campaign committee.

Well, here's the evidence, liberal CALVINIST Orwell has been writing AG's lines all along! Do you want a liberal Calvinist pulling the strings of WP Strident Atheists or do you not?

Many posters, like the Independent Coalition For The Defense Of WP Strident Atheism, have expressed concerns over AG's corruption. SO SHOULD YOU!

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 3:36 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
Come June 10, would you vote for a leftwing secularist above a radical right-libertarian to be WP's Most Strident Atheist given that radical right-libertarian policies lead to low levels of atheism?

This poll is part of the Master_Pedant for Strident Atheist exploratory committee inital drafting session.

Natural election theory topic

I hope this election is not gonna cost 300 million dollars! :P

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 4:08 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
Well, here's the evidence, liberal CALVINIST Orwell has been writing AG's lines all along! Do you want a liberal Calvinist pulling the strings of WP Strident Atheists or do you not?

You know your campaign for liberal atheism over right-libertarian theism is in trouble when you can't even get support from liberal theists. :P

Quote:
Many posters, like the Independent Coalition For The Defense Of WP Strident Atheism, have expressed concerns over AG's corruption. SO SHOULD YOU!

But the Independent Coalition for The Defense of WP Strident Atheism also expressed concerns over your corruption, seeing as how you are funded by the Vatican and are in fact a secret Catholic. The Popular Front of Judea has also come out in favor of AG and against MP.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 4:14 pm

Moar candidates! People should nominate 8)

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 4:37 pm

Pretty interesting idea...the most strident atheist I know is ruveyn, although he has many jewish leanings.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 4:42 pm

I'm guessing by Orwell's numerous posts that he wants to run as well...he could be a top contender for my vote right behind Inuyasha.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 4:52 pm

skafather84 wrote:
I'm guessing by Orwell's numerous posts that he wants to run as well...he could be a top contender for my vote right behind Inuyasha.

I think Orwell is more of an agnostic (or maybe I'm misinformed). I would vote for Inuyasha, but he's a little bit of a fallacious arguer sometimes. You would probably get my vote.

Although, PGD really gets the throne for Strident Atheist :lol:

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 5:02 pm

Orwell wrote:
Quote:

But the Independent Coalition for The Defense of WP Strident Atheism also expressed concerns over your corruption, seeing as how you are funded by the Vatican and are in fact a secret Catholic. The Popular Front of Judea has also come out in favor of AG and against MP.

The ICDWPSA has noted in its weekly public bulletin that AG has many ties to theism. In fact, AG was a theist back in 2007. The fact that a wealthy association of Liberal Calvinists continues to campaign for AG while disguising itself as a tax-exempt religious charity demonstrates that AG is reluctant to disown his nefarious and corrupt ties to theism. He is not nearly as serious about the stridency of his anti-theism as one would expect from someone running for the office of WP's Most Strident Atheist.

This message was paid for by the Independent Coalition For The Defense Of WP Strident Atheism, a non-profit organization of anonymous anti-theists and theists who are concerned about the level of corruption in the two mainstream anti-theist parties.

NobelCynic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 5:36 pm

marshall wrote:
AG was a theist back in 2007.

I don't remember ever reading a post of AG's defending theism, however I was new here then and spent more time in GAD than PPR so I might have missed something. I do remember AG explaining that he joined a church as a “college experiment” because most of the girls he knew were religious and he thought it might help him get into their pants. I don't know why that should count against him.

You seem to be against the incumbent but are not nominating or supporting an alternative. Is this a political ploy, hoping someone else will nominate you so you don't have to throw your own hat into the ring?