Page 1 of 6 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Apr 2008
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,154
Location: Arlington, Texas

10 May 2011, 9:35 pm

Assuming everybody has heard, Uganda has a pending bill that would harshen criminal sanctions against homosexuality in their country, going so far as to execute gays for multiple offenses (although that particular clause may be pending along with the bill).

I would like everybody who opposes this law to sign this worldwide petition against the bill. The goal is to reach a million signed names, and so far it has almost 900,000.

Here's a link to the petition:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/uganda_stop_homophobia_petition_2/?twi


_________________
What fresh hell is this?


Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Mar 2009
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,926

10 May 2011, 9:42 pm

That bill is morally depraved and deserves to be stopped as soon as possible.


_________________
http://www.voterocky.org/


Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Mar 2009
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,926

10 May 2011, 9:53 pm

David Bahati, the author of that bill, has an MA from the University of Wales.

Carl Cooper, former Bishop of St Davids (place in Wales) said "It was wonderful to discover that the local MP, Mr David Bahati, also had a Masters degree from the University of Wales and had spent time studying in Cardiff. Wales’ influence often stretches further than we realise." I hope he changes his mind after this crap.


_________________
http://www.voterocky.org/


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,813
Location: Stendec

10 May 2011, 10:03 pm

On-line petitions are not even worth the paper they are printed on.


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Apr 2008
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,154
Location: Arlington, Texas

10 May 2011, 10:13 pm

Fnord wrote:
On-line petitions are not even worth the paper they are printed on.


Here's the contact info for the Ugandan ambassador to the United States. Perhaps you'll find actually contacting them to be more worth your time?

Quote:
His Excellency Professor Perezi K. Kamunanwire
Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary
Tel: (202) 726 4758
Fax: (202) 726 1727
[email protected]


_________________
What fresh hell is this?


blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2011
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,027

10 May 2011, 10:39 pm

I feel bad for anyone gay in uganda right now, but petitions are worthless, especially internet petitions, especially internet petitions from another country.

It's a better idea, in the US anyway, to go after senator James Inhofe of Oklahoma for helping that bill along.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,813
Location: Stendec

10 May 2011, 10:44 pm

Descartes wrote:
Fnord wrote:
On-line petitions are not even worth the paper they are printed on.

Here's the contact info for the Ugandan ambassador to the United States. Perhaps you'll find actually contacting them to be more worth your time?
Quote:
His Excellency Professor Perezi K. Kamunanwire
Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary
Tel: (202) 726 4758
Fax: (202) 726 1727
[email protected]

Never. That's the same name as the guy from africa who keeps emailing me to get my help so that he can transfer "$43 milion US dolars" out of his country. No way am I getting involved!! !

:P


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Apr 2008
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,154
Location: Arlington, Texas

10 May 2011, 10:46 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
I feel bad for anyone gay in uganda right now, but petitions are worthless, especially internet petitions, especially internet petitions from another country.


Regardless of how you feel about the effectiveness of the petition, signing it will only take a minute - probably less - of your time.

blauSamstag wrote:
It's a better idea, in the US anyway, to go after senator James Inhofe of Oklahoma for helping that bill along.


If the bill passes, then b***h at the U.S. senators who inadvertently helped the bill along. In the mean time, if you feel you must do something more constructive, I have provided the contact info of the Ugandan ambassador to the U.S. earlier in this thread. Make with that what you will.


_________________
What fresh hell is this?


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,813
Location: Stendec

10 May 2011, 10:52 pm

Descartes wrote:
... If the bill passes, then b***h at the U.S. senators who inadvertently helped the bill along...

How can it be possible that U.S. Senators could be held accountable for a bill that gets passed in Uganda? Does America own Uganda, or are the Ugandan lawmakers mere lap-dogs to be told when to sit, when to stay, and how to vote on a bill in their own country?


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Apr 2008
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,154
Location: Arlington, Texas

10 May 2011, 10:56 pm

Fnord wrote:
Descartes wrote:
... If the bill passes, then b***h at the U.S. senators who inadvertently helped the bill along...

How can it be possible that U.S. Senators could be held accountable for a bill that gets passed in Uganda? Does America own Uganda, or are the Ugandan lawmakers mere lap-dogs to be told when to sit, when to stay, and how to vote on a bill in their own country?


The bill was conceived after a group of United States evangelicals did a mission trip to Uganda in order to convince them of the "evils" of homosexuality. There are some U.S. senators who are members of a group called The Family, which has ties to that same missionary trip to Uganda.


_________________
What fresh hell is this?


blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2011
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,027

10 May 2011, 10:56 pm

Fnord wrote:
Descartes wrote:
... If the bill passes, then b***h at the U.S. senators who inadvertently helped the bill along...

How can it be possible that U.S. Senators could be held accountable for a bill that gets passed in Uganda? Does America own Uganda, or are the Ugandan lawmakers mere lap-dogs to be told when to sit, when to stay, and how to vote on a bill in their own country?


No. But Inhofe is a close personal friend of the author of the bill.

He can't get away with killing gay people in the USA but he can kill 'em in Uganda.



Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Mar 2009
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,926

10 May 2011, 10:58 pm

David Bahati is more disingenious then even your average American Christo-fascist.

"I don't have gays, I love them, but I most protect the children...." - David Bahati, educated in Wales, repeating many Christofascist Talking points

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYTziDqTWD4[/youtube]

David Bahati hasn't taken the death penalty clause out.


_________________
http://www.voterocky.org/


Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,367
Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

10 May 2011, 11:02 pm

It's sad that this persecution still exists today. Unfortunately Uganda isn't unique in this regard. There are many countries in the world, a few in our own hemisphere actually, where homosexuality is punishable with imprisonment. I suspect the motivation behind what they're doing in Uganda is because of Africa's desperate struggle with the AIDS epidemic. Hopefully, at the very least, they'll scratch the death penalty out of their bill.



Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Mar 2009
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,926

10 May 2011, 11:08 pm

Jacoby wrote:
It's sad that this persecution still exists today. Unfortunately Uganda isn't unique in this regard. There are many countries in the world, a few in our own hemisphere actually, where homosexuality is punishable with imprisonment. I suspect the motivation behind what they're doing in Uganda is because of Africa's desperate struggle with the AIDS epidemic. Hopefully, at the very least, they'll scratch the death penalty out of their bill.


A while ago in the majority Muslim country of Albania one party (which had a plurality of seats) proposed a bill that would legalize Same-Sex Marriage.


_________________
http://www.voterocky.org/


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,813
Location: Stendec

10 May 2011, 11:09 pm

Descartes wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Descartes wrote:
... If the bill passes, then b***h at the U.S. senators who inadvertently helped the bill along...

How can it be possible that U.S. Senators could be held accountable for a bill that gets passed in Uganda? Does America own Uganda, or are the Ugandan lawmakers mere lap-dogs to be told when to sit, when to stay, and how to vote on a bill in their own country?

The bill was conceived after a group of United States evangelicals did a mission trip to Uganda in order to convince them of the "evils" of homosexuality. There are some U.S. senators who are members of a group called The Family, which has ties to that same missionary trip to Uganda.

The bills was conceived by Ugandans, not Americans. Besides, this is more of a religious issue to Americans than a political one, so blame the evangelicals that went to Uganda, and not the Senators that stayed home.

Right now it is 7:09 am in Kampala, Uganda. The vote should take place in just a few hours.

I'm going to bed.

Let us know how it turns out.


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)