Page 5 of 10 [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 12:07 pm

ikorack wrote:
marshall wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Quote:
I would have to make myself willfully ignorant to understand conservatives who insultingly downplay slavery and racism. Maybe they don't know they are being jackasses but that doesn't make them any less jackasses.

How about an example of insultingly downplaying slavery and racism in this thread?

Civil War revisionism. Claims that blacks have no reason to be offended by the flying of the confederate flag.

How about this, It's a F**king flag. There is really no reason to be offended without evidence of white nationalism tinged with racism. Feel free to try again, but I didn't see anything of the sort. Also one could that the stereotype of blacks being on welfare is the only thing keeping welfare were it is, take out race and how many people do you think would be moved by socio-economic status?(This is not to say it is good, but even silly things have benefits) I would address some of your other points but they seem poorly worded to me.(That or I'm just not making sense of them)

The Confederate flag was only flown over southern capitols again starting during the civil rights movement, in support of segregation. Sound pretty racist to me.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 12:12 pm

ikorack wrote:
How about this, It's a F**king flag. There is really no reason to be offended without evidence of white nationalism tinged with racism.

^So no one should be mad at me for flying this flag, then...right? I mean I never have expressed white nationalist ideals, I just happen to like angles and red and black.

Or to cut the BS: your argument doesn't hold water. Flags are symbolic and hold that symbolic value. The confederate is known for slavery and white supremacy. Oddly enough, the actual confederate constitution actually limited states' rights much more than the US constitution did at the time. Only significant differences were a banning of legislative riders (which I agree with and think should be included today) and an official legalization of slavery.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 12:51 pm

*shrug* still just a flag

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 12:55 pm

ikorack wrote:

I'll take that as a concession of "I don't get it". I hope you can act responsibly with that lack of comprehension.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 12:58 pm

skafather84 wrote:
ikorack wrote:

I'll take that as a concession of "I don't get it". I hope you can act responsibly with that lack of comprehension.

skafather84 does has a point on the Southern Flags to an extent...

That said if you want to see racism in politics today look no further than the Attorney General Eric Holder and the DoJ.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 2:14 pm

Flying a flag does not make one a racist or bigot, flags are symbols and symbols can mean different things to different people for various reasons. Cutting out a symbol because it means something offensive to you or to many is a silly way to circumvent freedom of speech.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 2:24 pm

ikorack wrote:
Flying a flag does not make one a racist or bigot, flags are symbols and symbols can mean different things to different people for various reasons. Cutting out a symbol because it means something offensive to you or to many is a silly way to circumvent freedom of speech.

Yeah but there's a purveying idea that is greater than any one person's thoughts on a symbol. For an example, most people think of skinheads as just racists but there's actually a whole demographic of anti-racist skinheads that normally bond together under the title of SHARP (SkinHeads Against Racism and Prejudice) but generally speaking, if someone sees people wearing typical skinhead regalia, the initial impression will be one of racism and nazism. If you're flying the stars and bars, most people will think it's because you're a racist...not that you're making some kind of cryptic statement on your libertarianism.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 2:53 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI[/youtube]

Enough said.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 3:13 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Enough said.

An argument for better public education if I've ever seen one.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 3:18 pm

skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Enough said.

More like an argument that public education fails.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 3:29 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Enough said.

Some people quit when faced with flaws, other see opportunities to learn and make things better. I'd rather not give up a good idea for the sake of an archaic aristocratic idea.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 4:51 pm

skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Enough said.

Some people quit when faced with flaws, other see opportunities to learn and make things better. I'd rather not give up a good idea for the sake of an archaic aristocratic idea.

In all honesty, the woman didn't actually say Obama was going to pay her mortgage and for her gas. Rather, she said she didn't have to worry about them. I took her to mean, with Obama as president, gas taxes wouldn't hit the sky, and the bank would be less likely to grab her home out from under her, as with the previous administration.
I know we're all Aspies here, and we tend to take things too literally - I just did it today on another thread. I think it's a matter of learning to speak NT.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 4:59 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Enough said.

In all honesty, the woman didn't actually say Obama was going to pay her mortgage and for her gas. Rather, she said she didn't have to worry about them. I took her to mean, with Obama as president, gas taxes wouldn't hit the sky, and the bank would be less likely to grab her home out from under her, as with the previous administration.
I know we're all Aspies here, and we tend to take things too literally - I just did it today on another thread. I think it's a matter of learning to speak NT.

Yeah, the title that the video uploaded with is not completely reflected by the person's own words, however believing anyone's campaign promises is a recipe for learning a lesson about deceit later on. "I'll give you this and that if you vote for me!" They get elected and then have nearly absolute job security and are free to do whatever they want during their multiple year contract to be employed as an administrator.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 5:16 pm

skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Enough said.

Did she actually say what I think she said????? :roll:

Yes, public schools are a mess. Poor budgeting due to corruption and too much time wasted on valueless classes. I can’t see how it will ever get better…….

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 5:46 pm

skafather84

Quote:
Yeah but there's a purveying idea that is greater than any one person's thoughts on a symbol. For an example, most people think of skinheads as just racists but there's actually a whole demographic of anti-racist skinheads that normally bond together under the title of SHARP (SkinHeads Against Racism and Prejudice) but generally speaking, if someone sees people wearing typical skinhead regalia, the initial impression will be one of racism and nazism. If you're flying the stars and bars, most people will think it's because you're a racist...not that you're making some kind of cryptic statement on your libertarianism.

Okay, just for the sake of argument let’s say the confederate flag IS genuinely offensive to some. Just how cripplingly offensive is it? It should have negligible to zero effect on someone’s day to day life if they are exposed to an offensive or intimidating symbol once in a while or every damned day for that matter. Anyone that sensitive and mentally frail probably should be in an institution where they can be protected since they cannot function in such a cruel world.
Just how far should we go to stamp out offensive symbolism?

BTW, I never hear of these same people being so deeply offended by any kind of communist symbols. The collective suffering, enslavement, and genocide inflicted as a result of communusm is mindboggling…………….hmmmmm

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 6:08 pm

Raptor wrote:
skafather84
Quote:

Okay, just for the sake of argument let’s say the confederate flag IS genuinely offensive to some. Just how cripplingly offensive is it? It should have negligible to zero effect on someone’s day to day life if they are exposed to an offensive or intimidating symbol once in a while or every damned day for that matter. Anyone that sensitive and mentally frail probably should be in an institution where they can be protected since they cannot function in such a cruel world.
Just how far should we go to stamp out offensive symbolism?

BTW, I never hear of these same people being so deeply offended by any kind of communist symbols. The collective suffering, enslavement, and genocide inflicted as a result of communusm is mindboggling…………….hmmmmm

For a black person seeing a Confederate flag flying above a state capitol, the perception more often than not is that the state government is hostile toward people of color, and partial only to a white, conservative constituency. Especially since the confederate flag was only flown with the advent of the Civil Rights movement, in opposition to desegregation.
And yes, I'm certain if someone flew a communist flag, plenty of people wold be outraged.