Page 2 of 10 [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 2:41 pm

marshall wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
The question is: is the Republican Party going to chance losing conservative whites by representing the rights of minorities? As far as I can tell, Republicans are more interested in keeping the vote of conservative whites who are more concerned with the skin color of whoever is ahead of them in the chow line.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

I'll make a prediction; if health care reform stands as is, we will never have another Republican president. Health Care means more, healthy, live, Hispanics and Blacks that are capable, and more likely to vote. The Hispanic population continues to increase in numbers, while caucasians and blacks are at a relative stand still.

Although the actual results of actions taken by Democrats and Republicans are no longer significantly different for the most part, the message in the media and voiced by Republicans must change to reflect the message that the Democrats present to make any significant impact on increasing the number of minorities that vote Republican.

As stated by Kraichgauer, this action will lose the Caucasian conservative vote; so the Republicans are in somewhat of a catch 22.

I won't make this prediction for the Senate and House, though; the minority numbers that come out to vote on non-presidential election years is not nearly as significant as those numbers are in Presidential election years. Eventually, though we are headed in that direction also, unless Republicans find a way to persuade additional Hispanics to support their views.

The bottom line is we are headed to a demographic in our nation where minorities become a totality majority. The effect is already clear in the polls. There is no way to dismiss the math.

The Republican party must radically change their image, to meet this challenge of the future. The Black vote is not likely to change, no matter what the Republicans do, the historical evidence is clear on that point. What, if anything, can they do to pursuade a significant additional number of Hispanics to vote Republican?

Don't be surprised if we see more Hispanic Journalists on FOX. Jeraldo and his brother may be just the start. Notice, he often doesn't present the same hard right views that the other commentators do on FOX.

The technique is somewhat subtle, late night with Jeraldo on FOX; not sure it would work on conservative radio talk shows at this point. Glenn Beck can change to meet whatever challenge is presented for him. He has already proven that by moving from CNN's HNN to FOX.

CNN had Rick Sanchez; However, I don't see CNN and MSNBC intentionally adding Hispanic Journalists; representative views for the majority of Hispanics are already present.

I don't know. I've encountered some Hispanic people who were rabidly far right. Like this guy...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDED_vGkTfA[/youtube]

Good point. The Democratic demographic for Hispanics, is not at the level of the demographic for blacks, but, 66% is an overwhelming majority in politics.

Last edited by aghogday on 27 Mar 2011, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 2:57 pm

aghogday wrote:
marshall wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
The question is: is the Republican Party going to chance losing conservative whites by representing the rights of minorities? As far as I can tell, Republicans are more interested in keeping the vote of conservative whites who are more concerned with the skin color of whoever is ahead of them in the chow line.

I'll make a prediction; if health care reform stands as is, we will never have another Republican president. Health Care means more, healthy, live, Hispanics and Blacks that are capable, and more likely to vote. The Hispanic population continues to increase in numbers, while caucasians and blacks are at a relative stand still.

Although the actual results of actions taken by Democrats and Republicans are no longer significantly different for the most part, the message in the media and voiced by Republicans must change to reflect the message that the Democrats present to make any significant impact on increasing the number of minorities that vote Republican.

As stated by Kraichgauer, this action will lose the Caucasian conservative vote; so the Republicans are in somewhat of a catch 22.

I won't make this prediction for the Senate and House, though; the minority numbers that come out to vote on non-presidential election years is not nearly as significant as those numbers are in Presidential election years. Eventually, though we are headed in that direction also, unless Republicans find a way to persuade additional Hispanics to support their views.

The bottom line is we are headed to a demographic in our nation where minorities become a totality majority. The effect is already clear in the polls. There is no way to dismiss the math.

The Republican party must radically change their image, to meet this challenge of the future. The Black vote is not likely to change, no matter what the Republicans do, the historical evidence is clear on that point. What, if anything, can they do to pursuade a significant additional number of Hispanics to vote Republican?

Don't be surprised if we see more Hispanic Journalists on FOX. Jeraldo and his brother may be just the start. Notice, he often doesn't present the same hard right views that the other commentators do on FOX.

The technique is somewhat subtle, late night with Jeraldo on FOX; not sure it would work on conservative radio talk shows at this point. Glenn Beck can change to meet whatever challenge is presented for him. He has already proven that by moving from CNN's HNN to FOX.

CNN had Rick Sanchez; However, I don't see CNN and MSNBC intentionally adding Hispanic Journalists; representative views for the majority of Hispanics are already present.

I don't know. I've encountered some Hispanic people who were rabidly far right. Like this guy...

Good point. The Hispanic loyalty is certainly not at the level of Black allegiance to the Democrat party. But, 66% is an overwhelming majority in politics.

And I suspect that this loon doesn't represent most Latinos.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 3:16 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
aghogday wrote:
marshall wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Good point. The Hispanic loyalty is certainly not at the level of Black allegiance to the Democrat party. But, 66% is an overwhelming majority in politics.

Regardless of his race, tea baggers, also, probably don't claim him as one of their most valued representatives.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 4:40 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
aghogday wrote:
marshall wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Yea. He was probably one of Anastasio Somoza's goons before he left Nicaragua.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 4:49 pm

Wasn't Dubya's major electoral accomplishment that he gained more of the Hispanic vote than other Republicans?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 5:25 pm

:roll:
The gentleman in the video is more reminiscent of the immigrants of yesteryear (like mine) before the government overstepped its place and started taking care them. He is not only willing but insists on making his own way because it is the American way.
Immigration to this country is nothing new! It has been going on, sometimes in waves, since the colonial era. My German and Irish ancestors came to this country in the mid to late 19th century and were NOT welcome here nor did they have government handouts to live on. It was a do or die proposition back then and the best you could do was to do your best, despite the odds. Somehow, as the majority did, they made a successful life for themselves. In time they acquired property and raised families. They became American’s in the classic sense. I could go on but I think you know the story, whether you like it or not……
Yes, the gentleman in the video is very emphatic about his beliefs but I sure as hell wouldn’t call it a meltdown. It’s funny how when in any kind of leftist oriented demonstration or gathering it’s perfectly normal to get emotional but when it’s a tea bagger or right wing oriented gathering or demonstration all the sudden that person or persons is out of control or whatever.

Quote:

“Hispanic loyalty”? Are Hispanics and blacks bound to the Democratic Party somehow? That smacks of racial profiling in a sublime way, for lack of a better term. “You’re not a real Hispanic if you don’t vote democrat” or “you’re an uncle tom if you’re black and vote republican”.
I’ve heard those very statements/accusations more than once with my own ears!

Quote:

I’d like to think there are plenty more “loons” like this out there. To call that person a “loon” compared to what your idea of the ideal Hispanic is speaks volumes about your character.

Quote:
Regardless of his race, tea baggers, also, probably don't claim him as one of their most valued representatives.

I don’t see why not......

Where healthcare is concerned it is a problem that will not go away. The reason it’s hosed up is due, in one form or another, to greed. Greed is a morality issue that won’t go away due to more regulation. Quash it (or attempt to) in one area and it re-manifests itself somewhere else in another form that is still greed at the core. A government attempt to run healthcare is not for the benefit of anyone but the government.
Have any of you ever had a moment of lucid thought and wondered why the federal government would really give a rat’s @ss about your health???

No, I’m not a tea bagger but after reading some of your posts maybe I should be……..

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 6:20 pm

Raptor wrote:
The gentleman in the video is more reminiscent of the immigrants of yesteryear (like mine) before the government overstepped its place and started taking care them. He is not only willing but insists on making his own way because it is the American way.
Immigration to this country is nothing new! It has been going on, sometimes in waves, since the colonial era. My German and Irish ancestors came to this country in the mid to late 19th century and were NOT welcome here nor did they have government handouts to live on. It was a do or die proposition back then and the best you could do was to do your best, despite the odds. Somehow, as the majority did, they made a successful life for themselves. In time they acquired property and raised families. They became American’s in the classic sense. I could go on but I think you know the story, whether you like it or not……
Yes, the gentleman in the video is very emphatic about his beliefs but I sure as hell wouldn’t call it a meltdown. It’s funny how when in any kind of leftist oriented demonstration or gathering it’s perfectly normal to get emotional but when it’s a tea bagger or right wing oriented gathering or demonstration all the sudden that person or persons is out of control or whatever.

Quote:

“Hispanic loyalty”? Are Hispanics and blacks bound to the Democratic Party somehow? That smacks of racial profiling in a sublime way, for lack of a better term. “You’re not a real Hispanic if you don’t vote democrat” or “you’re an uncle tom if you’re black and vote republican”.

Quote:

I’d like to think there are plenty more “loons” like this out there. To call that person a “loon” compared to what your idea of the ideal Hispanic is speaks volumes about your character.

Quote:

Where healthcare is concerned it is a problem that will not go away. The reason it’s hosed up is due, in one form or another, to greed. Greed is a morality issue that won’t go away due to more regulation. Quash it (or attempt to) in one area and it re-manifests itself somewhere else in another form that is still greed at the core. A government attempt to run healthcare is not for the benefit of anyone but the government.
Have any of you ever had a moment of lucid thought and wondered why the federal government would really give a rat’s @ss about your health???

No, I’m not a tea bagger but after reading some of your posts maybe I should be……..

I specifically called him a loon because he started screaming about how communists should die, and even screamed the interviewer could keep on living if he's not a communist. Unless he is...!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 6:22 pm

marshall wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
aghogday wrote:
marshall wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Yea. He was probably one of Anastasio Somoza's goons before he left Nicaragua.

That had actually been my thought, too.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 6:44 pm

Raptor wrote:

Quote:

Poor choice of words on my part. Demographic is a more appropriate word, considering sensitivities to the race issue. Thanks for bringing that to my attention; I will edit that comment

Quote:

Quote:

I think his emotional outburst was more reflective of personality than race. I have no problem with the expression of his beliefs, but objectively speaking, that kind of "on air" outburst doesn't help the image of the tea party or any other political organization, left or right. Just my opinion, though.

The form healthcare reform has taken is a political and corporate issue. The stakes for government are re-election among the individual politicians that are trying to please their constituents.

Corporate greed is also a survival issue; we live in a profit motivated country, where those that are good at Capitalism reap the benefits. The weaker corporate entities perish. Corporate entities work very hard to survive; because of this, it is not likely that we will ever see anything come close to Universal Health Care run by the Government in our country.

Whether or not any politician has real personal concern about healthcare reform and the benefit it provides to individuals is subjective. It is evident that some care and some don't. The federal government that has a voice in this are the politicians and the voters; if the politicians don't represent the needs of their constituents well enough, they are voted out.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 7:18 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
Wasn't Dubya's major electoral accomplishment that he gained more of the Hispanic vote than other Republicans?

Yes, I remember Lou Dobbs complaining about Bush, illegal immigrants, and open borders, almost every night on CNN. I don't hear him talking about it now, on his radio show. Brother Jeb had a similiar appeal in Florida. I think Carl Rove maximized this potential with W.; I remember the many times that Bush used his bi-lingual abilities to talk directly to Hispanic people.

I think both parties are cautious about alienating the Hispanic vote.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 8:22 pm

Raptor wrote:

THE ONLY GOOD TEABAGGER IS A DEAD TEABAGGER! ARE YOU A TEABAGGER! YOU DIRTY ROTTEN TEABAGGER! I THROW YOU IN THE RIVER! :roll:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 8:40 pm

marshall wrote:
Raptor wrote:

THE ONLY GOOD TEABAGGER IS A DEAD TEABAGGER! ARE YOU A TEABAGGER! YOU DIRTY ROTTEN TEABAGGER! I THROW YOU IN THE RIVER! :roll:

All the more reason...............

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 8:43 pm

Raptor wrote:
marshall wrote:
Raptor wrote:

All the more reason...............

I'm pretty certain marshal was joking.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 8:45 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I specifically called him a loon because he started screaming about how communists should die, and even screamed the interviewer could keep on living if he's not a communist. Unless he is...!

Being originally from Nicaragua I’d say he probably has more experience with communists than most……....

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 10:25 pm

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Being originally from Nicaragua I’d say he probably has more experience with communists than most……....

The fact of the matter is, the right wing Samoza dictatorship of Nicaragua was much worse than the communists ever were, as were the Reagan supported contras who committed God awful atrocities in the name of anti-communism.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 11:09 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The fact of the matter is, the right wing Samoza dictatorship of Nicaragua was much worse than the communists ever were, as were the Reagan supported contras who committed God awful atrocities in the name of anti-communism.

Whether Samosa was worse or better than the Sandinistas is more of a matter of deciding which is the lesser of two evils, kind of like the 2008 US presidential elections :roll: .
It’s a matter of the individual’s values……….