Favorite Philosophical and/or Religious Quote

Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 10:06 pm

What is your Favorite Philosophical and/or Religious Quote, and source of quote?

And if you care to elaborate, why?

The influence of each human being on others in this life is a kind of immortality. (John Quincy Adams)

No matter how weak, strong, poor, or rich, most of us have the opportunity to influence others in life. We will never know the extent or significance of our influence, but it is there and can never be erased. Or, in other words everyone makes a difference.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 10:44 pm

'Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.' -Carl Sagan

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 12:38 am

"This too, shall pass"

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

11 Mar 2011, 2:02 am

“Actions are right in proportion as they tend to promote happiness; wrong as they tend to produce the reverse of happiness. By happiness is intended pleasure and the absence of pain.” - John Stuart Mill

"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." - Albert Einstein

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."
- JR Tolkein

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson

"For all we know, the first tools on earth might have been developed by a loner sitting at the back of the cave, chipping at thousands of rocks to find the one that made the sharpest spear, while the neurotypicals chattered away in the firelight." - Steve Silberman

"I became a feminist as an alternative to becoming a masochist." - Sally Kempton

"The genius of any slave system is found in the dynamics which isolate slaves from each other, obscure the reality of a common condition, and make united rebellion against the oppressor inconceivable." - Andrea Dworkin

"Recognize meat for what it really is: the antibiotic- and pesticide-laden corpse of a tortured animal." - Ingrid Newkirk

"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us 'universe', a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty." - Albert Einstein

"Nice girls don't paint their toenails red." - my mother

Last edited by Bethie on 11 Mar 2011, 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 2:03 am

Bethie wrote:

"The genius of any slave system is found in the dynamics which isolate slaves from each other, obscure the reality of a common condition, and make united rebellion against the oppressor inconceivable." - Andrea Dworkin

proving that even a clock that is broken and still can tell the right time twice a day. Dworkin nailed her point.

ruveyn

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

11 Mar 2011, 2:06 am

ruveyn wrote:
Bethie wrote:

proving that even a clock that is broken and still can tell the right time twice a day. Dworkin nailed her point.

ruveyn

I don't get the connection between the two. :(

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 2:07 am

Bethie wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Bethie wrote:

ruveyn

Dworkin is a Crazy Lady and has sh*t for brains.

ruveyn

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 2:16 am

ruveyn wrote:
Bethie wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Bethie wrote:

ruveyn

ruveyn

Which of her works do you disagree with?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 2:21 am

Bethie wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Bethie wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Bethie wrote:

ruveyn

ruveyn

Her man-eating attitude. Being a man hater is just plain irrational. It is as irrational as being a woman-hater.

ruveyn

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 2:28 am

ruveyn wrote:
Bethie wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Bethie wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Bethie wrote:

ruveyn

ruveyn

Her man-eating attitude. Being a man hater is just plain irrational. It is as irrational as being a woman-hater.

ruveyn

So...you've never actually read any of her works?

I'm noticing a pattern with you. :D

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 2:29 am

Bethie wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Bethie wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Bethie wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Bethie wrote:

ruveyn

ruveyn

ruveyn

No. I -heard- her (with my own ears) spewing her man-hatred on WGBH radio (a PBS station in Boston). Hearing is believing.

ruveyn

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 2:34 am

Ah, so what did she say that you found so offensive, exactly?

Last edited by Bethie on 11 Mar 2011, 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 2:38 am

Bethie wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Bethie wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Bethie wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Bethie wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Bethie wrote:

ruveyn

ruveyn

ruveyn

No. I -heard- her (with my own ears) spewing her man-hatred on WGBH radio (a PBS station in Boston). Hearing is believing.

ruveyn

Ah, so what did she say that you found so offensive, exactly?

That men (and she said this without qualification) abused women. And the sexual relations between men and women were a kind of woman-abuse. She was quite general in her statement. She did not qualify her accusation of abuse not one little bit. She is a Crazy Lady.

I have been married to the same woman (my wife and Best Friend) for 53 years and neither of us have ever complained that we were abusing each other. Andrea is an a** hole to be very frank. She is an anti-male bigot.

ruveyn

ruveyn

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 2:45 am

ruveyn wrote:
That men (and she said this without qualification) abused women.

Men do abuse women.
And women abuse men.
And so on and so forth.
Surely you didn't mentally insert an "all" where there was not one?

ruveyn wrote:
And the sexual relations between men and women were a kind of woman-abuse.

That's a common mischaracterization of her assertions about the experience of intercourse by heterosexual women living in patriarchal societies.

ruveyn wrote:
I have been married to the same woman (my wife and Best Friend) for 53 years and neither of us have ever complained that we were abusing each other.

Good for you.

ruveyn wrote:
She is an anti-male bigot.

If you say so. You haven't really provided a quote of hers that indicted all men in all contexts, as opposed to those acting under certain societal themes. I've actually read a substantive number of her works, and there wasn't one, so my guess if that you have selective learning.

Last edited by Bethie on 11 Mar 2011, 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 2:48 am

Bethie wrote:
. I've read five of her books and there wasn't one, so my guess if that you have selective learning.

No. I have good hearing. I heard what I heard and Andrea, that Nutsy Fagin bigot, damned herself with her own mouth.

ruveyn

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 3:05 am

ruveyn wrote:
Bethie wrote:
. I've read five of her books and there wasn't one, so my guess if that you have selective learning.

No. I have good hearing. I heard what I heard and Andrea, that Nutsy Fagin bigot, damned herself with her own mouth.

ruveyn

Call her nasty names ANOTHER time, maybe THAT will support your assertions.

:lol: