Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Noob
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Apr 2011, 5:41 pm

What do you think of morals? What is your view on people with AS and NTs?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 6:07 pm

Probably should be in PPR. This will get ugly fast.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 6:14 pm

Noob wrote:
What do you think of morals? What is your view on people with AS and NTs?

I don't really understand the second question. Are you asking if people with AS and NTs have different morals?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 6:25 pm

We're all Humans, we all live on this planet, and we should try our best to get along and accept differences that don't harm others

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 6:35 pm

I have very strong morals. I'm a Christian, I don't believe in premarital sex, I hardly ever swear and I don't believe in hurting other people or living things.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 6:46 pm

Aspies are rule followers and bad liars=more moral by choice or neurology? Choice depends on neurology? Then aspies are more moral by birth

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 6:46 pm

I don't believe there are inherently right or wrong things. Ethics are relative. Even killing can be justified under the proper circunstances (i.e.: self defense).

Personally, I try to do whatever is best to me without harming others, even if it brings me no advantages.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 7:08 pm

We're not all rule followers (and when we are it's not necessarily true for all rules).

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 8:14 pm

First of all, Noob is a troll. Hopefully the mods will ban him soon.

Second of all, as for your question, morals are as simple as doing things your way instead of doing them someone else's way. I suppose that would be living your life by a clear set of principles, but whatever. Maybe morals would be anything that elevates the human condition. In any case, I don't think much of morals, I just stick to my very distinct and clear set of principles, and it works for me.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 8:41 pm

I think most of the ten commandments would be a universal set of morals

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 12:06 am

Quote:
First of all, Noob is a troll. Hopefully the mods will ban him soon.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think he's a troll?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 3:11 am

Trolling means starting a topic with the intent of getting as many posts in reply as possible.

But someone who speaks English as a second language may seem the same way. Similarly, someone who isn't very good at writing.

As far as I can tell, Aspies and NTs have about the same distribution of ethical/moral values as NTs do. The only difference seems to be that Aspies are less likely to assume that "being polite" and "doing the right thing" are connected. That goes both ways--we're less likely to think someone is nice because they are polite; and we're also less likely to be polite when we want people to think we are nice. So, generally, a more straightforward style, but still expressing the same intent as NTs.

If it matters, people on the autism spectrum commit far fewer crimes than NTs do; but I think this has very little to do with any innate sense of morality. It has far more to do with the fact that crime is a social activity, and autistic people are more than 75% introverts (as opposed to the 25% rate among NTs).

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Noob
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2011, 6:29 am

Callista wrote:
Trolling means starting a topic with the intent of getting as many posts in reply as possible.

Then I guess I am a troll. Heck, I'd be happy to get a hundred replies. It's better than reading a book written from an NTs perspective.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 6:59 am

Callista wrote:
If it matters, people on the autism spectrum commit far fewer crimes than NTs do; but I think this has very little to do with any innate sense of morality. It has far more to do with the fact that crime is a social activity, and autistic people are more than 75% introverts (as opposed to the 25% rate among NTs).

That sounds right to me. My mother taught me to share and I obeyed her well, but I just as faithfully learned to practice my father's bigotry (at least in my younger years and until someone taught me differently). So where AS/HFA might seem to drive consistency, it still does not determine direction.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 7:49 am

i guess my ethics can be boiled down to:

*don't intentionally hurt other sentient beings, if at all possible ['cept for stinging insects];
*try occasionally to brighten somebody else's day in a positive way for all parties, if possible.

naive, i guess. but that's the way god made me.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 7:51 am

I don't believe in traditional right and wrong, I believe in the greatest good principle - the action that benefits the most people the most amount is the right action.