Page 20 of 43 [ 680 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 43  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 3:54 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

But I still have to live amongst these apes worshiping their sun gods and worshiping their own inability to comprehend.

I find this offensive.

Guess what I find offensive.

I have not called into question your ability to comprehend, or called you an ape. Yet you just did both to me. Indirectly, but done all the same.

This thread is about why anyone thinks that should be allowed on Wrong Planet. It should not be. Find another way to express yourself.

Okay. You're wrong and irrational. No colorful expressions, just dry and straight forward.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 3:56 pm

skafather84 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

But I still have to live amongst these apes worshiping their sun gods and worshiping their own inability to comprehend.

I find this offensive.

I have not called into question your ability to comprehend, or called you an ape. Yet you just did both to me. Indirectly, but done all the same.

This thread is about why anyone thinks that should be allowed on Wrong Planet. It should not be. Find another way to express yourself.

Okay. You're wrong and irrational. No colorful expressions, just dry and straight forward.

Saying that violates the TOS.

Find another way to express yourself. Again.

Get my point?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 4:01 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
I've seen a lot more self-righteousness in your posts in this thread than effort at bridge building or true discourse.

The self-righteousness is a means of deflecting their own. The rhetoric is always the same and the conversation ends quickly "it's a person, it's a life, abortion is murder". There's no amount of dancing around that'll change that kind of broken mind. There is no comprehension, there's only rhetorical battle and I know that mine has real-life implications while theirs is much more vague and has no implicit or immediate impact.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 4:02 pm

skafather84 wrote:

Oh now, come on! DW_a_mom is far from being anything like that!

What is your issue there?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 4:05 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

I find this offensive.

Get my point?

Okay. You're wrong.

Am I there yet?

LovebirdsFlying
Raven
Raven

25 Apr 2011, 4:06 pm

I notice everybody is so busy hating each other here that my previous post has been completely ignored. How am I supposed to feel about that?

AQ score 35

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 4:06 pm

skafather84 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

I find this offensive.

You can say you disagree with someone without stating that they are "wrong". You can certainly do so without calling them "irrational". I consider that a personal attack and ask you to refrain immediately.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 4:07 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
if tomorrow remnants of Noah's Ark were discovered

How would you prove that it's Noah's ark and not just some random piece of scrapwood from the same time period? Do you think they'll discover a boat that fits the exact specifications or maybe find that one piece of wood that says "Noah's Ark" on it??

As I said, individuals would then be claiming it was something else, anything to claim the Bible isn't true. Face it Atheists don't have much in the way of objectivity either.

No, what I'm saying is "how do you come to the conclusion that it's Noah's ark?"

Do you have any clue how impossible it would be to prove it? Do you know how stupid you sound right now?

Prove to me it's Noah's boat instead of Moab's or Sargon's or Gilgamesh's. Do you understand this at all??

If I remember correctly Gilgamesh was born after the great flood.

The names were more just generic ancient names, not specific examples (ie, some ancient Joe Schmoe). So, again, how do you prove that it is specifically the boat of one person who was named 'Noah' and was written about in the bible? I would assume that first, Noah wasn't the only one with that name and second, more boats existed then than just that one. What is your methodology to determine that it is "Noah's ark".

How many extremely large boats have you heard of that would be sitting on a mountain?

LovebirdsFlying
Raven
Raven

25 Apr 2011, 4:08 pm

Sorry, I guess I'm just being squeezed out. Again.

AQ score 35

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 4:09 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:

No insult intended but cladistically speaking, all humans ARE apes but not all apes are humans. Humans are basically a third species of chimpanzee. That is what nature shows us, like it or not.

Some of the strongest evidence is genetic. The fossils aren't just in the rocks. There are "fossils" in our genes too. Look up Human Chromosome 2 and be amazed. It is practically a smoking gun showing our very close kinship to chimps and the other great apes, because it is clearly two ape chromosomes fused together end to end. The presence of endogenous retroviruses and pseudogenes at the same locations in the DNA of humans and chimps is yet more proof.

And then there is the fossil record. Australopithecus Afarensis is nearly perfectly intermediate between ape and human in several skeletal features. Some of these transitional fossils are so transitional that different creationists will argue whether they are fully ape or fully human. There are at least a dozen transitional species from the past five or six million years that show a clear progression from more ape-like to more human-like features. Now some of these may not be direct ancestors, maybe none of those yet discovered are direct ancestors, but they are at the very least cousins to us.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 4:10 pm

leejosepho wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

Oh now, come on! DW_a_mom is far from being anything like that!

What is your issue there?

Credit to an invisible being = irrationality. Saying that some deity exists = wrong.

I think I'm being quite concise on this without all the colorfulness. And I guess I could pare down irrationality considering the end result is still being wrong and having your judgement subject to others and having your own thoughts corrupted by an irrational conclusion at various points.

As to what my issue is...I have a few guesses but that's mostly personal.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 4:10 pm

LovebirdsFlying wrote:
I notice everybody is so busy hating each other here that my previous post has been completely ignored. How am I supposed to feel about that?

You were not really being ignored -- we just had a real-life, on-topic tiff of some kind going on! :wink:

LovebirdsFlying wrote:
I am a Christian, and even if I wanted to, I cannot hide that because it just comes out. When I state my beliefs, I mean for it to be stating MY beliefs, not telling others what THEIR beliefs should be. It is not my job to convert you. And I don't call other people names like heathen, etc.

Do I get bashed just for being a Christian? Yes, although less often than others who do come in with "You're going to hell because you don't believe...." Is this confined to Wrong Planet and its PPR section? Heck no. It's all over the internet.

You bet, and seeing you are relatively new here ...

Welcome to WP!

Things occasionally do get a bit hot over here in PPR, but it looks to me like you will do just fine!

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 4:11 pm

skafather84 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

I find this offensive.

Get my point?

Okay. You're wrong.

Am I there yet?

How about, "I disagree." And I'll even allow for, "to me, faith is irrational." Make it about you, not about me, and I'm happy.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 4:12 pm

TheBicyclingGuitarist wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

No insult intended but cladistically speaking, all humans ARE apes but not all apes are humans. Humans are basically a third species of chimpanzee. That is what nature shows us, like it or not.

Some of the strongest evidence is genetic. The fossils aren't just in the rocks. There are "fossils" in our genes too. Look up Human Chromosome 2 and be amazed. It is practically a smoking gun showing our very close kinship to chimps and the other great apes, because it is clearly two ape chromosomes fused together end to end. The presence of endogenous retroviruses and pseudogenes at the same locations in the DNA of humans and chimps is yet more proof.

And then there is the fossil record. Australopithecus Afarensis is nearly perfectly intermediate between ape and human in several skeletal features. Some of these transitional fossils are so transitional that different creationists will argue whether they are fully ape or fully human. There are at least a dozen transitional species from the past five or six million years that show a clear progression from more ape-like to more human-like features. Now some of these may not be direct ancestors, maybe none of those yet discovered are direct ancestors, but they are at the very least cousins to us.

http://uk.io9.com/5794988/are-humans-mo ... s-changing

Theories being refined again. SCIENCE AT WORK!! God would have had that kind of stuff stopped long ago if it weren't for the undeniable fact that it is empirically correct and a constant, living work as opposed to theology which is a constant, living con.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 4:13 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

I find this offensive.

Get my point?

Okay. You're wrong.

Am I there yet?

How about, "I disagree." And I'll even allow for, "to me, faith is irrational." Make it about you, not about me, and I'm happy.

You're not alone. Every theist is wrong and irrational.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 4:14 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
if tomorrow remnants of Noah's Ark were discovered

How would you prove that it's Noah's ark and not just some random piece of scrapwood from the same time period? Do you think they'll discover a boat that fits the exact specifications or maybe find that one piece of wood that says "Noah's Ark" on it??

As I said, individuals would then be claiming it was something else, anything to claim the Bible isn't true. Face it Atheists don't have much in the way of objectivity either.

No, what I'm saying is "how do you come to the conclusion that it's Noah's ark?"

Do you have any clue how impossible it would be to prove it? Do you know how stupid you sound right now?

Prove to me it's Noah's boat instead of Moab's or Sargon's or Gilgamesh's. Do you understand this at all??

If I remember correctly Gilgamesh was born after the great flood.

The names were more just generic ancient names, not specific examples (ie, some ancient Joe Schmoe). So, again, how do you prove that it is specifically the boat of one person who was named 'Noah' and was written about in the bible? I would assume that first, Noah wasn't the only one with that name and second, more boats existed then than just that one. What is your methodology to determine that it is "Noah's ark".

How many extremely large boats have you heard of that would be sitting on a mountain?

Boat! Therefore Christianity!

Member of the WP Strident Atheists