Page 2 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Chevand
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 2:04 pm

TheModestBighead wrote:
Giving conservative environments more potential for a vulnerable or traumatized person, who's perhaps suffered through being so-called "different", to thrive.

Or, in my case, being the whole reason for the vulnerability and trauma and suffering through being "different" in the first place. I grew up in the Bible Belt-- and believe me, as an agnostic, an Aspie, and a transplanted Northerner, the conservative environment did not give me the chance to thrive.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 2:07 pm

Chevand wrote:
TheModestBighead wrote:
Giving conservative environments more potential for a vulnerable or traumatized person, who's perhaps suffered through being so-called "different", to thrive.

Or, in my case, being the whole reason for the vulnerability and trauma and suffering through being "different" in the first place. I grew up in the Bible Belt-- and believe me, as an agnostic, an Aspie, and a transplanted Northerner, the conservative environment did not give me the chance to thrive.

Really? I'm actually surprised by that, considered the people that tended to backstab me happened to be liberals.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 2:11 pm

psychohist wrote:
TheModestBighead wrote:
Therefore, conservatives are more likely to be "There's no reason why anything's wrong with it/him/her", and liberals more likely to be "What can we find that's wrong with it/him/her?"

Sounds pretty accurate to me.

Actually, that theoretical traumatized or vulnerable person, in the good old days championed by conservatives, would most likely have been the object of ridicule and derision. Liberals are more likely to extend acceptance and understanding to such a person. At least, that's been my personal experience.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 2:16 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
psychohist wrote:
TheModestBighead wrote:
Therefore, conservatives are more likely to be "There's no reason why anything's wrong with it/him/her", and liberals more likely to be "What can we find that's wrong with it/him/her?"

Actually, that theoretical traumatized or vulnerable person, in the good old days championed by conservatives, would most likely have been the object of ridicule and derision. Liberals are more likely to extend acceptance and understanding to such a person. At least, that's been my personal experience.

That is until you disagree with them then liberals will hate you at an entirely new level and treat you like ****. Conservatives, when the realize they screwed up on a first impression or they are wrong are more apt to apologize for how they initially treated you, and they don't mind if you have a differing viewpoint.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 3:47 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
psychohist wrote:
TheModestBighead wrote:

That is until you disagree with them then liberals will hate you at an entirely new level and treat you like ****. Conservatives, when the realize they screwed up on a first impression or they are wrong are more apt to apologize for how they initially treated you, and they don't mind if you have a differing viewpoint.

Wow, have we ever had vastly different life experiences. Explains a lot, doesn't it?

Back to the OP. I disagree with the conclusion. I don't think there is a correlation between change as a reality and political position. Conservatives at the moment are advocating more drastic change than the liberals are, because the natural tide of events, the gradual turning of things, has been in a liberal direction. The conservatives are reacting to it and wanting to make changes. Stopping the flow of immigration is to make a change. Reducing taxes is to make a change. There isn't that much "it is what it is" going on in conservative circles, as far as I can see. *I'm* the one usually saying that phrase, and I'm politically liberal. What is reactionary and what is stable changes depending upon the natural trends of the moment.

In my experience, conservative ideology wants to fit as much as possible into a single box. Liberal ideology wants to vary the boxes.

My favorite sound bite is:

Conversatives say to government, "stay out of my business!"
Liberals say, "stay out of my bedroom!"
and Libertarians say, "stay out of everything!"

Both main groups are, as a matter of practice, FOR change, IF it is in an area of life that is a priority to them.

As for who is accepting of who when it comes to day to day life, and personal interaction: I know accepting and unaccepting people of all political stripes. I think it is a personality trait more than a political one, and I don't think it correlates that closely to political affiliation.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 3:57 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Back to the OP. I disagree with the conclusion. I don't think there is a correlation between change as a reality and political position. Conservatives at the moment are advocating more drastic change than the liberals are, because the natural tide of events, the gradual turning of things, has been in a liberal direction. The conservatives are reacting to it and wanting to make changes. Stopping the flow of immigration is to make a change. Reducing taxes is to make a change. There isn't that much "it is what it is" going on in conservative circles, as far as I can see. *I'm* the one usually saying that phrase, and I'm politically liberal. What is reactionary and what is stable changes depending upon the natural trends of the moment.

No, wanting to stop illegal immigration is about wanting to preserve the sovereignty of this country, a country that refuses to defend its own borders soon ceases to be a country.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 4:14 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

No, wanting to stop illegal immigration is about wanting to preserve the sovereignty of this country, a country that refuses to defend its own borders soon ceases to be a country.

Given that we have had a steady flow of immigration, not always legally defined, since before we even were a nation, I can't buy that argument. It is a desire to take a river that has always flowed and stick a dam on it. That IS change. The fact that people got on the riverboat and got upset when they actually got swept down river doesn't make it the river boats fault. It did what it has always done. It is the upset passengers that misunderstood the journey, and want to cry foul that they can't re-land at the same spot they left from. So they try to dam the river.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 5:26 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
psychohist wrote:
TheModestBighead wrote:

Oh, it's actually more of a matter of the individual. I've met people of both political persuasions who were either gracious, or as*holes.

Chevand
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 5:44 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Chevand wrote:
TheModestBighead wrote:

Really? I'm actually surprised by that, considered the people that tended to backstab me happened to be liberals.

I've got nothing against religious people in general-- but in my experience, at least where I grew up, the religious weren't very good neighbors. They had established a world of their own, and I wasn't welcome in it. I was tormented all the time at school for being different-- for moving in from New Jersey, for not going to church, for being just plain "strange" (which I now know in retrospect was my AS). Even my parents were treated with hostility and condescension by the other parents. To be honest, I didn't have a single truly close friendship outside my own family until I moved to Canada, away from the South.

I'm not sure what happened to you, to make you dislike and distrust liberal-minded people so much, but I assure you, just as I know there are many conservatives and Christians who are not as hostile as the people who tormented me, there are also many progressives who would respect you if you gave them the chance. I can only speak for myself. I'm not interested in condescending to you, or forcing my opinions on you, even if we disagree on things. I learned a long time ago, through firsthand experience, how awful that makes other people feel.

Last edited by Chevand on 22 Apr 2011, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 5:45 pm

I have never been called a fa***t or a ret*d by a liberal

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 5:47 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."

-Winston Churchill

The Churchill Cent wrote:
Quotes Falsely Attributed | Print | E-mail

These quotes make for good story-telling but popular myth has falsely attributed them to Churchill.

"Conservative by the time you're 35"

"If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain." There is no record of anyone hearing Churchill say this. Paul Addison of Edinburgh University makes this comment: "Surely Churchill can't have used the words attributed to him. He'd been a Conservative at 15 and a Liberal at 35! And would he have talked so disrespectfully of Clemmie, who is generally thought to have been a lifelong Liberal?"

http://www.winstonchurchill.org/learn/s ... attributed

:D 0wned

JakobVirgil wrote:

Me neither...

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 11:11 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:

I have, among other things far worse.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 11:15 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

I have, among other things far worse.

Now it I who roll my eyes.
yeah in the Inuverse I am sure that is true.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 11:36 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:
fa***t makes sense, but what's stopping em from calling someone a ret*d?

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 12:05 am

AceOfSpades wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

I guess the word is seen as a slur.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 12:14 am

JakobVirgil wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

I guess the word is seen as a slur.

It's especially cruel when aimed at a person with a genuine mental disability.
And then there's the rest of us who can be hurt by that word. Back in my public school days, even though I was often the smartest kid in class, because I was perceived to be so socially inept that I was often labeled as a "ret*d."
Back in those days, nobody in this country had any idea what high functioning autism was.

Last edited by Kraichgauer on 23 Apr 2011, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.