Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kingtrey
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Apr 2011, 12:18 pm

I go to my church youth group as often as I can and I consider myself a spiritual person, but recently my youth pastor has been teaching creation science whenever he gets the chance. I have no problem with my youth pastor, he's almost like family, but in my opinion denying things that have been scientificly proven, such as evolution and the age of the earth, just makes the entire Christian faith look bad.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 1:06 pm

Kingtrey wrote:
I go to my church youth group as often as I can and I consider myself a spiritual person, but recently my youth pastor has been teaching creation science whenever he gets the chance. I have no problem with my youth pastor, he's almost like family, but in my opinion denying things that have been scientificly proven, such as evolution and the age of the earth, just makes the entire Christian faith look bad.

It makes the Christian Faith look stupid. It always has -been- stupid, but now it -looks- stupid.

The idea that a human male that sh*ts once a day can be the incarnation of the G-D is blasphemy.

Dumb!

ruveyn

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 2:00 pm

One man's blasphemy is another man's doctrine.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 3:12 pm

I wonder how your pastor feels about the fact that the Catholic church accepts evolution.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 3:22 pm

It's not his place to teach science. Just like it's not the scientist's job to teach the meaning of the book of Job.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 3:28 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kingtrey wrote:

It makes the Christian Faith look stupid. It always has -been- stupid, but now it -looks- stupid.

The idea that a human male that sh*ts once a day can be the incarnation of the G-D is blasphemy.

Dumb!

ruveyn

One of "us" topic

I can see the strategy of why the instigators of that religion pushed that a god was human, to make the little guy believe. As a marketing strategy, this probably was a smart tactic. This does not work for me, but for simple people this was simplicity incarnate, and gave them something to "strive" for. :lol: A god that craps! Wow. :P

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 3:52 pm

Fortunately, Christianity comes with only a very small package of standard equipment, and a huge range of optional extras in a wide range of designer colours and textures.

Kidding aside, there is no single route to spiritual fulfilment. If one denomination's view of creation is bothering you, then look to a denomination that has reconciled divine creation with our understanding of cosmology and evolution.

After all, if you believe in an omnipotent Creator, then Planck time provides an awfully long time within which to get the work of Creation done.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 3:55 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kingtrey wrote:

Dumb!

ruveyn

lol another atheist. Only they would say something is stupid apart from Atheism.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 4:07 pm

^^ Blasphemy is not possible without a god to blaspheme.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 4:16 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
^^ Blasphemy is not possible without a god to blaspheme.

I beg to differ. No god is required at all--only the blind faith of a power structure.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 4:25 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Fortunately, Christianity comes with only a very small package of standard equipment, and a huge range of optional extras in a wide range of designer colours and textures.

Kidding aside, there is no single route to spiritual fulfilment. If one denomination's view of creation is bothering you, then look to a denomination that has reconciled divine creation with our understanding of cosmology and evolution.

After all, if you believe in an omnipotent Creator, then Planck time provides an awfully long time within which to get the work of Creation done.

I dont think he was talking about a "denomination". He wasnt even talking about a particular congregation. He was talking about an individual teaching a class in a church hes already found a home in.
He might step up to the bat and teach his own class to turn kids onto fossils maybe.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 5:16 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Kingtrey wrote:

Dumb!

ruveyn

lol another atheist. Only they would say something is stupid apart from Atheism.

He used the word "blasphemy"-implying that there is a god. So hes not speaking as an atheist. He taking sides-one religion vs another, not attacking religion per se.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 5:39 pm

Quote:
things that have been scientificly proven, such as evolution

Depends on who's science you're using........

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 5:40 pm

Raptor wrote:
Quote:
things that have been scientificly proven, such as evolution

Depends on who's science you're using........

That's right, if you use Conservapedia's 'science', its clear that evolution is a blatant lie

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 6:01 pm

hale_bopp wrote:

Judge not lest ye be judged.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 6:24 pm

You could always just invest in earplugs if it bothers you so much.