Page 18 of 22 [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

rasol
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 May 2011, 1:00 pm

If God is really there this means that he can let miracles happen any day. If the power of God is supposed to be unlimited or almost unlimited then does this mean that God can for example...

1. stop the sun from shining for one or two days?
2. stop the Earth from rotating around its axis for one day?
3. shut down gravity for one day so that people could fly on their own power?
4. make a giant, heavy and long-lasting winter snowstorm in the usually arid and sundipped countries of the world like Yemen, Sudan and Ethiopia?
5. give some people Superman-like powers?
6. make copies of a woman so that more than one man could have her?
7. Bring some people back from the dead?

Until he does that, there is no evidence to suggest that God is really there. But miracles do happen sometimes so it's too soon to tell.

Last edited by rasol on 11 May 2011, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 1:05 pm

Quote:
Until he does that, there is no evidence to suggest that God is really there. But miracles do happen sometimes so it's too soon to tell.

Statistically improbable, or unexplained things happen. There's no evidence that the Natural Laws are being stepped on.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

rasol
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 May 2011, 1:31 pm

ryan93 wrote:
Statistically improbable, or unexplained things happen. There's no evidence that the Natural Laws are being stepped on.

But God is above physical laws. So doesn't this mean that God can change or overwrite the natural laws of this universe anytime he just wants?

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 1:35 pm

rasol wrote:
ryan93 wrote:

But God is above physical laws. So doesn't this mean that God can change or overwrite the natural laws of this universe anytime he just wants?

If an omnipotent God exists, then yes; any Law is mutable. That said, I see no evidence for a God.

BurntOutMom
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 1:41 pm

ryan93 wrote:
rasol wrote:
ryan93 wrote:

If an omnipotent God exists, then yes; any Law is mutable. That said, I see no evidence for a God.

Could and would are two different things. If there is in fact a god. If It created everything in this existence, then It created these Natural Laws as well. Why would this god defy It's own laws?

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 2:59 pm

BurntOutMom wrote:
ryan93 wrote:
rasol wrote:
ryan93 wrote:

Could and would are two different things. If there is in fact a god. If It created everything in this existence, then It created these Natural Laws as well. Why would this god defy It's own laws?

It does what is must, because it can :P If a (hypothetical God) didn't like a certain inevitability of a lawly Universe, then it might pop in and tweak things at a particular time.

BurntOutMom
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 3:08 pm

ryan93 wrote:
BurntOutMom wrote:
ryan93 wrote:
rasol wrote:
ryan93 wrote:

It does what is must, because it can :P If a (hypothetical God) didn't like a certain inevitability of a lawly Universe, then it might pop in and tweak things at a particular time.

If that is so, and this hypothetical god saw that the outcome of It's law was undesirable enough to "pop in and tweak" it, then wouldn't that god by virtue of his creation then be deemed fallible?

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

12 May 2011, 4:20 am

BurntOutMom wrote:

If that is so, and this hypothetical god saw that the outcome of It's law was undesirable enough to "pop in and tweak" it, then wouldn't that god by virtue of his creation then be deemed fallible?

Attempting to apply logic to a concept which is inherently illogical is a waste of time, and logic.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 8:59 am

rasol wrote:
If God is really there this means that he can let miracles happen any day. If the power of God is supposed to be unlimited or almost unlimited then does this mean that God can for example...

1. stop the sun from shining for one or two days?
3. shut down gravity for one day so that people could fly on their own power?
4. make a giant, heavy and long-lasting winter snowstorm in the usually arid and sundipped countries of the world like Yemen, Sudan and Ethiopia?
5. give some people Superman-like powers?
6. make copies of a woman so that more than one man could have her?
7. Bring some people back from the dead?

What makes the world go round? topic

Humans are working on most of these. :lol:

But how can you mend a broken heart? How can you stop the rain from pouring down?

Bring back the BeeGees!

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 9:12 am

aspi-rant wrote:
Zeitgeist Part I: The Greatest Story Ever Told (33 min)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pgRUpDDrb0[/youtube]

this must be for "entertainment" only... since what they state about religion in this clip cannot possibly have the slightest bit of truth attached to it 'cause it is not mentioned in the bible... or... or... can it really be true, despite that?

oooh! so hard to tell... so watch and think.

:roll:

Rubbish.

Just because it's not a Christian video doesn't mean it's right.

Read some mythology books for a change instead of watching videos done by idiots.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 10:20 am

sartresue wrote:
... how can you mend a broken heart? How can you stop the rain from pouring down?

Bring back the BeeGees!

Yes, please!! :cheers:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 10:30 am

[quote="rasol
.[/quote]

If the Earth suddenly stopped rotating the oceans would sweep over the land (by inertial) and wipe out most land life. It would certainly be the end of the human race.

ruveyn

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 12:12 pm

MCalavera wrote:
aspi-rant wrote:
Zeitgeist Part I: The Greatest Story Ever Told (33 min)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pgRUpDDrb0[/youtube]

this must be for "entertainment" only... since what they state about religion in this clip cannot possibly have the slightest bit of truth attached to it 'cause it is not mentioned in the bible... or... or... can it really be true, despite that?

oooh! so hard to tell... so watch and think.

:roll:

Rubbish.

Just because it's not a Christian video doesn't mean it's right.

Read some mythology books for a change instead of watching videos done by idiots.

you mean:

it is not correct that...

- the sun does "die" for three days and "resurrects" on december 25th?
- that this is celebrated i numerous cultures and has made many stories and myths?
- that many of know stories in the bible are copied form other culture/religions?
- many of the terms (e.g. the ages etc) are wrong?
- orions belt is not called the three kings?

etc etc etc...

you assume i haven't read the mythology books... which i must tell you is not correct... i have read about a lot since i was a 4 year old little boy in my world full of books... and have read ever since... appr. 45 years of reading will do i guess.

i stated why i linked to this "rubbish".. because is does a neat job showing many of these relationships, who would take me a long time to make clear.

sorry for being lazy... :wink:

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 12:12 pm

leejosepho wrote:
sartresue wrote:
... how can you mend a broken heart? How can you stop the rain from pouring down?

Bring back the BeeGees!

8O :lol:

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 12:21 pm

aspi-rant wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
sartresue wrote:

Bring back the BeeGees!

8O :lol:

I actually did not like them -- I did not think they were "cool" -- during their time, but then I saw a biographical documentary that changed my mind completely. The "Brothers G" were truly a unique display of pure and heart-felt artistry.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 12:30 pm

they weren't my cup of tea... but i agree they were unique and very, very skilled.