Page 3 of 13 [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 3:33 pm

kx250rider wrote:
I will say that I'm more to the left with societal issues such as the fact that I support Gay marriage, and I believe abortion is up to the woman in question; not the government.

Charles

So the man isn't allowed any input into that?

As I said, politics is on an axis - authoritarian/libertarian and left/right.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 4:01 pm

At least some seem to have travelled by way of the lower Mideast - there were, for all I know are, some northeast African groups.

Note also the more easterly appellations like Zigeuner, out of [we think] a Byzantine Greek for untouchable.

Also the use of "Bohemian" - as in La Boheme. Again reflecting stops on their route.

Roma is said to have a cognate if not origin in Dom, name of, 'tis said, a fairly low caste in the homeland. In which case we may very well have anothe case - happens a lot - where a people's preferred name was someone else's sneering pejorative.

Now - for five Philologos points - who can tell us the most common Gypsy / Romani word in use in contemporary English? Ten points if you can tell us the original meaning OR the English word wioth which it is cognate? [Hint - original meaning and English cognate are identical]. Class? Anyone?

YourMother
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 4:39 pm

Tequila wrote:
kx250rider wrote:
...I believe abortion is up to the woman in question; not the government.

Charles

No.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 6:22 pm

TheAvenger wrote:
erased

Proof that left-wingers are not nazis. :wink:

MyWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2011, 7:21 pm

I've read some of the TheAvenger's posts and he is one sick f***. He likes smell of s***, has Nazi views (admitted it), and wants to kill NT's. No wonder very few people like him.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 8:30 pm

Tollorin wrote:
TheAvenger wrote:
2. erased

Proof that left-wingers are not nazis. :wink:

The consensus is that liberals are communists and conservatives are nazis.
Haven't you heard??

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 8:39 pm

TheAvenger wrote:
The psychology of a lefty (left-wing) person:

1. They support immigration.
2. erased
3. They believe in man-made Global Warming and think that we should impose green taxes and carbon taxes.
4. They are politically correct and support the nanny-state.
5. They think that school bullies should be allowed to have rights.
6. They think that you should not kill burglars who break into your home.

These are to name but just a few.

What are you? Left-wing or Right-wing?

Im Right-wing and proud of it!

Let's make a cartoon caricature of the right-winger:
  • Licks the boots of authority figures, especially those using force (military, the police); an advocate of the fascist police state
  • Xenophobic; suspicious of foreigners; prone to racism, sexism, and other forms of bigotry
  • Hyper-religious, desirous of imposing their religion on others through the state
  • Callous; not caring for the poor or disabled

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 8:45 pm

Tequila wrote:
kx250rider wrote:
I will say that I'm more to the left with societal issues such as the fact that I support Gay marriage, and I believe abortion is up to the woman in question; not the government.

Charles

As I said, politics is on an axis - authoritarian/libertarian and left/right.

That's what I always wonder, in matters such as abortion people rarely take the man's feelings into account as if they weren't important.
Both parties made the fetus, not just the woman.
(I am pro choice if you're wondering.)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 8:49 pm

The psychology of bigots...

1. They hate immigration.
2. They hate Gypsies.
3. They ignore the facts regarding human-made Global Warming.
4. They are politically intolerant and reject welfare programs (until they need one).
5. They think that rights are priviledges that can be arbitrarily given and taken away at any time.
6. They think that showing mercy is a sign of weakness.
7. They think that only their beliefs matter.
8. They think that anyone who does not share their beliefs does not matter.
9. They think that having their beliefs gives them free license to impose their will upon others.
10. They think that their feces don't stink.

... to name but a few.

What are you? Bigotted or Tolerant?

I'm tolerant and proud of it!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 9:06 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
  • Licks the boots of authority figures, especially those using force (military, the police); an advocate of the fascist police state
  • Xenophobic; suspicious of foreigners; prone to racism, sexism, and other forms of bigotry
  • Hyper-religious, desirous of imposing their religion on others through the state

Sometimes I wonder if people like you really believe that or are just trying to pick a fight...either way I will say that reading 5 pages in a history textbook does not make you an expert, which apparently a lot of people believe here, even denouncing someone's special interest because the person says uncomfortable things that they do not want to accept.. I am done with you.

Vigilans wrote:
'Gypsies' is a derogatory term, they are called Romani People

That actually is false. I said that in another thread and apparently they can be called Roma, Gypsies,. or Zugani (the German word for them is Zigeuner).

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 9:42 pm

HerrGrimm wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if people like you really believe that or are just trying to pick a fight...either way I will say that reading 5 pages in a history textbook does not make you an expert, which apparently a lot of people believe here, even denouncing someone's special interest because the person says uncomfortable things that they do not want to accept.. I am done with you.

Vigilans wrote:
'Gypsies' is a derogatory term, they are called Romani People

That actually is false. I said that in another thread and apparently they can be called Roma, Gypsies,. or Zugani (the German word for them is Zigeuner).

I've met Roma who found the term offensive, so I dunno. They claim 'they're not Egyptian'

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 9:44 pm

Vigilans wrote:
I've met Roma who found the term offensive, so I dunno. They claim 'they're not Egyptian'

I am looking on the Internet and it looks like it depends on the person. I always say Roma anyway though.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 10:12 pm

You have till tomorrow night to claim them Philologos points.

ANY ethnic appellation will eventually be seen by A as derogatory and by B as a focus of ethnic pride.

LibertarianAS
Raven
Raven

07 May 2011, 2:28 am

kx250rider wrote:
I'm a registered Republican, and I have voted for all Republican presidential candidates since Reagan's 2nd term. Yes, including George W. Bush twice, and no regrets. I'm a Right hardliner with fiscal issues and in the defense of our country, fighting wars hard as needed, etc. Business are taxed way too much, and that's why there aren't jobs. Not the other way around. And I think all types of welfare and free stuff should be stopped for everyone who is able-minded/able-bodied. This means that the lazy will be forced to work, or live in the woods. The mentally or physically impaired, of course, shall be entitled to help as needed; and more of it when we filter out the parasites who sit home watching plasma TVs and having babies to increase welfare checks, and go in their BMWs to the store and park illegally in the handicapped space, to cash the welfare checks.

The Left will say it's fair to tax "rich people" more... WHY??????????? WTF???????????? Did it ever occur to the Left, that "rich people", having their money to spend and invest, is WHY we have jobs? It is. If everyone were a wage earner on salary, then who in Sam Hill is going to be the entrepreneur who started whatever company those workers are with? I believe in a flat tax. How is it unfair if we all had the same tax rate? "rich people" will STILL pay many times higher taxes, even if the tax rate is the same for lower-middle income people and ultra-wealthy. If, let's say we had a 10% tax rate, and If I make $45,000/a year, I would owe about $4,500 in taxes. If an oil tycoon makes $45,000,000/year, he/she will owe $4,500,000 in taxes. To me, that's fair. But the Left wants the oil tycoons to have a tax rate of more than 50%.

I will say that I'm more to the left with societal issues such as the fact that I support Gay marriage, and I believe abortion is up to the woman in question; not the government. Smaller government is better... Butt out, and let us live our lives is my theory of how a government should be.

Charles

THIS

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 2:35 am

<--- Libertarian.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 4:04 am

MONKEY wrote:
What, I thought they called themselves gypsies also?

I think Roma or Romany is the preferred name among these folks.

However people say gypsies or ziganies (in Europe) with no ill intent. It is just a commonly used designation. There term gypsy has not yet been demonized as has the term "n****r". Similarly the term "fairy" has been demonized and rendered Politically Incorrect because it was used to denigrate male homosexuals. A fairy is really a sprite of some sort that inhabits English gardens.

ruveyn