Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 3:07 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Philologos wrote:
I have a few minutes, this is as good a time as any to start this.

Certain people feel strongly [this is collapsing several people most of whom nobody here has ever met, so do not feel pointed at unless you are specifically mentioned]:

A. Only trained, certified, professional musicians and artists should produce art and music. Others should keep still even in the privacy of their own home.

Let the market place be the judge of who is a good musician.

Prior certification is a broad avenue to tyranny and corruption.

ruveyn

I need to start keeping track of how many times per week we agree. There must be a pattern [by my nature that is axiomatic]

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 3:33 pm

dionysian wrote:
Unless you extend your definition of art to encompass things like philosophy, politics, and religion....

Such an extension is senseless and futile. All of those fields aim for some form of truth, not a subjective impression, but actual correspondence between facts and reality.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 3:35 pm

dionysian wrote:

Doesn't really stand against what Vex stated though.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 3:36 pm

phil777 wrote:
Vex, i think there's plenty of evidence around to show that art has often played a part in religion and politics (i mean, it does serve), philosophy is a different matter though...

Whether art has PLAYED A ROLE in something, doesn't mean that art IS that thing. I mean, a sandwich has often played a part in the functioning of my body, but my body isn't a sandwich.

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 3:47 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
dionysian wrote:
Unless you extend your definition of art to encompass things like philosophy, politics, and religion....

Such an extension is senseless and futile. All of those fields aim for some form of truth, not a subjective impression, but actual correspondence between facts and reality.

They generate one or another expression of truth, as they see it. It is all subjective and arbitrary.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 3:48 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
dionysian wrote:

Doesn't really stand against what Vex stated though.

Sure it does, it casts a much wider net than the one he was trying to apply.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 4:08 pm

Quote:
Certain people feel strongly [this is collapsing several people most of whom nobody here has ever met, so do not feel pointed at unless you are specifically mentioned]:

I hope you actually aren't referring to me, because if you are, this is an utter misrepresentation of my position.

Quote:
A. Only trained, certified, professional musicians and artists should produce art and music. Others should keep still even in the privacy of their own home.

Nobody I know of holds this position. Art is not a matter of truth, nor does the goodness of art put anybody's life at risk. Do I want a trained and professional surgeon? Yes. Should I trust a trained and professional doctor's opinion over the local homeopath? Yes. Does this kind of reason tend to extend itself to any place where truth exists? Yes. I should respect an economist's opinion over the local conspiracy-theory gold bug. I should respect a philosopher above the local half-wit apologist? Yes.

Quote:
B. The opinion of an educated person with a degree outweighs anything said by someone who, like Jesus, has never studied.

This part is correct. After all, education on a topic means that a person has familiarity on it. Even further, the gifts of formal training also include refined methods and even refined intuitions. These both improve a person's ability to access truth.

Quote:
C. The opinion of a collective is more trustworthy than that of any individual.

That always depends on the nature of the collective. A pure democracy doesn't work. What is instead needed is a collective with an incentive structure for developing better opinions. It also depends on the education of members of the individual compared to the collective. If we have a single expert and a group of experts, then yes, we should trust the group of experts above the individual one.

Quote:
1. If you enjoy making music and art, go to it. You do not have to be commercial, you do not have to be good, put your soul into it and have fun. After a while you will be better than you know.

Ok, but for matters relevant for truth, you do have to be humble enough to recognize who is better than you, and willing to learn from those betters.

Quote:
2. Formal education is far too often indoctrination in wrong beliefs [that was for ruveyn]. An amateur who has put in some original thought may come closer to the truth - as witness a major event in my father's career, where a rank amateur beat out all the experts, him included. And he is not dumb.

Ok, but most amateurs never get close to the truth at all, and instead get stuck in all sorts of conspiracy theories. I mean, even if formal education does inculcate some wrong beliefs, this does not mean that the entire effort of engaging it is a waste.

Quote:
3. Truth is not democratic. A fact does not become so because lots of people believe it. It is not falsified by having only one person enunciating it. Most of anything like progress in science starts with one person disagreeing with the collective.

Mind projection fallacy. http://www.ivorytowermetaphysics.com/?p=391 You are confusing the epistemological structure of your opponents with their ontological structure. No intelligent person is arguing that collective belief EQUALS truth. Instead, what is being argued is that collective belief is a MORE RELIABLE GUIDE to truth.

Even further, "democratic" makes no sense with your issue about point 2. If there are elites, it isn't a strict democracy. Instead, your opponents are clearly arguing for an ELITIST conception of truth, as they say that truth is not universally offered to all, but only to the elites.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 4:12 pm

Philologos:

AG:
I hope you actually aren't referring to me, because if you are, this is an utter misrepresentation of my position.

I think you can read. I think you have by now some idea of the probability of my lying through my teeth.

I HOPE you have realized that IF I were representing you I would say AG has said or AG appears to believe or such.

I try very hard not to misrepresent your position AND allow for misunderstanding as I wish you would consistently do in return.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 4:16 pm

dionysian wrote:
They generate one or another expression of truth, as they see it. It is all subjective and arbitrary.

Truth is subjective and arbitrary? Does that statement also refer to itself?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 4:19 pm

dionysian wrote:
Sure it does, it casts a much wider net than the one he was trying to apply.

No, he never gave a net, and you never actually showed he was wrong. The best way to attempt is to use a poor interpretation of one the definitions. The problem is that this poor interpretation is a poor interpretation. Art still does not have the domains that relate to what we perceive as objective truth.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 4:21 pm

Philologos wrote:
I think you can read. I think you have by now some idea of the probability of my lying through my teeth.

I HOPE you have realized that IF I were representing you I would say AG has said or AG appears to believe or such.

I try very hard not to misrepresent your position AND allow for misunderstanding as I wish you would consistently do in return.

Philologos, I don't know of any human being who would put forward the opinion that you set forward. The closest I've seen is Bethie's bizarre need for words to only have one definition which is set by a central authority. I also have no idea of the inspiration. It seems like you are bizarrely misrepresenting somebody, which is why I had to clear up the air, as you did refer to me, and another poster also referred to me.

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 4:25 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
dionysian wrote:

Truth is subjective and arbitrary? Does that statement also refer to itself?

Truth may be objective. That's probably best left for another discussion. The descriptions that these various pursuits provide are largely subjective and arbitrary.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 4:44 pm

dionysian wrote:
The descriptions that these various pursuits provide are largely subjective and arbitrary.

Um... ok? But all of these pursuits often openly pursue truths and/or factual claims. So, claims on taxes usually are rooted in claims about the effects of the policy, or perhaps even a moral claim. Art is not so much like this.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 5:38 pm

Art has played an effect in religion and politics.

That does not mean religion and politics are art.

dionysian wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
... which would be wrong.

Says you. Luckily we have many definitions for the word that would seem to disagree with you.

If they actually exist, they should start a club in which they can meet with other poor definitions that are wrong non-sense.

But I'll byte, could you point me to the definitions of art that encompass religion, philosophy and politics?

Last edited by Vexcalibur on 05 Jun 2011, 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 5:40 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
dionysian wrote:
The descriptions that these various pursuits provide are largely subjective and arbitrary.

Um... ok? But all of these pursuits often openly pursue truths and/or factual claims. So, claims on taxes usually are rooted in claims about the effects of the policy, or perhaps even a moral claim. Art is not so much like this.

Nobody will try to claim that poetry is not art, even if the content is based in fact. Tax policy is kind of like poetry. It mostly depends on the disposition of the person arguing for one kind or another. It's often the case that people that are equally smart, equally honest, with access to the same information, will wind up with wildly different stances.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 7:12 pm

As a professional artist and designer who has graduated from two schools, Pratt Institute and The School for Visual Arts, and as one who has operated in field for over 70 years, it seems to me I am qualified to state pretty much absolutely that formal training in art may or may not be a contribution to the quality of an artist but very frequently the basic abilities lie within the inherent qualities of the individual and may be supplemented by training but training is not always essential.This is one of the dumbest of many dumb discussions extended by Philologos but unfortunately it seems characteristic of his output. I am not trying to start a flame war but some things must be stated openly to clear the air.