Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

If you are officially diagnosed with Asperger's, do you accept claims of the supernatural to be valid?
Yes 21%  21%  [ 7 ]
No 73%  73%  [ 24 ]
Some people do not consider gods and deities supernatural (I can't understand why) but if this is your stance then opt for this one. 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 33

Benbob
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jun 2011, 4:13 pm

Hey

I am curious to see if my inability to accept the illogical and unsubstantiated claims of religious myths are common for other people with diagnosed Asperger's Syndrome?

Perhaps a poll is the best way to go about this.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 4:14 pm

What a tongue twister

The majority of autistics on this site at least are atheistic.

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 4:25 pm

The wording of your post may put aspies who do believe in God or some equivalent entity on the defensive, since you're pretty much saying, "Believing in anything supernatural is illogical. Are you illogical?" If you want accurate data, you might rephrase the question.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 5:54 pm

sacrip wrote:
The wording of your post may put aspies who do believe in God or some equivalent entity on the defensive, since you're pretty much saying, "Believing in anything supernatural is illogical. Are you illogical?" If you want accurate data, you might rephrase the question.

Yeah, he is right, although I do happen to agree that the claims are illogical and unsubstantiated. Claims of the supernatural are backed by nothing, but the best part is that they don't need to be, since "we couldn't possibly understand"...which is why they try to, um, explain it to us? Hmmmmm...

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 6:09 pm

the truth of the matter is that it is completely unknowable. You really need an answer up there like that since I am agnostic :/

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 8:28 pm

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
the truth of the matter is that it is completely unknowable. You really need an answer up there like that since I am agnostic :/

Well sure. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Even so, being atheist is not the same as being anti-theist. It's like the difference between asexual and anti-sexual.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 7:03 am

Mindslave wrote:
DemonAbyss10 wrote:

Well sure. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Even so, being atheist is not the same as being anti-theist. It's like the difference between asexual and anti-sexual.

exactly, which Is why I feel there needs to be another option on the poll, since I also know there are quite a few others on here who view it the same way.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 7:51 am

Let's face it - having aspergers, and understanding what that means, you'd need a pretty big incentive to go on believing in god.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 8:26 am

Welcome!

crouton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 11:28 am

I went with 'No'. I'm an agnostic when it comes to religious claims, and I don't hold beliefs in any other supernatural phenomena.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 11:46 am

(Thread moved from Getting to know each other to PPR)

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 12:25 pm

One may point out, I am sure, that much of what is commonly labelled illogical is actually quite logical, simply resting on premises the other party refuses to take into consideration.

Thus if I shoot down every airpolans passing over my property, this is a very rational and logical action given my assumption that only the evil Binkerites - who eat humans and non-purebred dogs - have airplanes.

GIGO.

Any process - even one of yours, even one of mine - may be absolutely logical and dead wrong.

As of course a illogical conclusion may be absolutely correct, as those og us know who have ever lucked out guessing on an exam.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 6:55 pm

I said yes. I don't believe in the organized faiths, but I do accept there is more than just the physical world.

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 6:58 pm

Quote:
If you are officially diagnosed with Asperger's, do you accept claims of the supernatural to be valid?

Yes.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 7:02 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
I said yes. I don't believe in the organized faiths, but I do accept there is more than just the physical world.

And where might that be? And what are its laws of operation?
'
ruveyn

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 7:02 pm

ruveyn wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:

And where might that be? And what are its laws of operation?
'
ruveyn

How would I know? but i have experienced things.