Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 4:29 pm

I guess this fits the description of "philosophy".

An Obituary printed in the London Times - Interesting and sadly rather true
Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:
- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
- Why the early bird gets the worm;
- Life isn't always fair;
- and Maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers;
I Know My Rights
I Want It Now
Someone Else Is To Blame
I'm A Victim

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 5:36 pm

Well-put obituary.

Now let's hope for a resurrection to happen.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 7:17 pm

An interestingly timed test case. I have made my bet.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 7:29 pm

Common Sense, died of disuse. R.I.P.

ruveyn

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 7:36 pm

You forgot stepsister Miranda. Don't want to forget her.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 8:06 pm

HerrGrimm wrote:

I believe in Miranda rights and the associated rights of the accused beasue the are just that; accused.

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 4:13 pm

Raptor wrote:
HerrGrimm wrote:

I believe in Miranda rights and the associated rights of the accused beasue the are just that; accused.

They should not be reminded of the Fifth Amendment. It is just another excuse a lawyer makes when some guy gets convicted that you forgot to say that. Never mind these people knew their rights all the time, but you did not go by the book so there is a new trial. The Judicial System is overflowing with minutiae nonsense and frivolous lawsuits because people do not want to work to get money. You really should know the Fifth Amendment if you are a citizen in the country.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 4:28 pm

HerrGrimm wrote:
Raptor wrote:
HerrGrimm wrote:

They should not be reminded of the Fifth Amendment. It is just another excuse a lawyer makes when some guy gets convicted that you forgot to say that. Never mind these people knew their rights all the time, but you did not go by the book so there is a new trial. The Judicial System is overflowing with minutiae nonsense and frivolous lawsuits because people do not want to work to get money. You really should know the Fifth Amendment if you are a citizen in the country.

Being a citizen in the USA, for those born into citizenship, does not require knowledge of any sort but just to be born within its political boundaries. Having knowledge of ones rights is required of immigrants, who often know more about the nation than those whose lives started here. Not only is common sense dead, but also there's a hatred of knowledge and a love of imagined popularity at any cost.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 6:00 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
HerrGrimm wrote:
Raptor wrote:
HerrGrimm wrote:

Being a citizen in the USA, for those born into citizenship, does not require knowledge of any sort but just to be born within its political boundaries. Having knowledge of ones rights is required of immigrants, who often know more about the nation than those whose lives started here. Not only is common sense dead, but also there's a hatred of knowledge and a love of imagined popularity at any cost.

Any even casual glance at human history indicates that common sense is an oxymoron.