Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 8:01 pm

Hey hey, your pick of the five worst is likely going to be within two names of mine.

Orwell is indubitably less breadth embracing. Also by no means the worst, though we prickle one another.

But if we were voting people off the island I would not ostracise either of you.

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 8:21 pm

dionysian wrote:
Most of my posts get ignored or misunderstood. It's a real problem. If people paid more attention to my posts and tried to really understand what I was saying and respond intelligently, this place would be a lot better.

Thats one of my problems. My (and many others) arguments get ignored because someone says a witty one-liner or posts a funny link, and then derails the discussion. With posting so frequently, it makes each post less meaningful.

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 8:30 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
minervx wrote:
At first, I was very interested in this PPR forum, and most of my posts on WP were in it. Now my interest is diminishing. For several reasons.

Quote:
2. The views of this community are mostly uniform. A majority of the active members are atheist and a majority of the active members are liberal or libertarian. Either everyone agrees with each other, or its a lopsided debate.

Yeah..... I can understand that. Atheists are more vocal on the internet. There are definite areas where I think atheist posters have gone beyond any justifiable lines and into trolling though, and I am opposed to that. I am not a civility freak by any means, I've had mods talk to me before, but, some of this behavior seems to go too far.

The liberal-libertarian thing is pretty common on the internet, as social conservatism just isn't popular on the internet for whatever sociological reason.

I'm not angered by atheists, or even how vitriolic they are. It's that they keep saying the same argument thousands of times in thousands of topics. The few religious people in this community don't bother with the arguments. And all the atheists usually know most of the anti-religious arguments. So we all don't gain much from it.

I agree, social conservatism is not as common on the internet as liberal-libertarian views, but this website is far more left-wing than most other communities.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 8:39 pm

PPR=Proud, Pitiless and Righteous topic(s)

My fave. I love to read the posts as well as answer.

Makes my day. Seriously. :wink:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Last edited by sartresue on 13 Jun 2011, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 10:48 pm

Philologos wrote:
Actually, I find he is not. He is uneven, yes, and a little too into the strident thing but basically a plus. Needs to expand his horizons and loosen up on the formality is all.

My statement was intended for AG's benefit. I think you are already aware of my assessment of AG. And it's not all bad...

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 11:37 pm

dionysian wrote:
Philologos wrote:
Actually, I find he is not. He is uneven, yes, and a little too into the strident thing but basically a plus. Needs to expand his horizons and loosen up on the formality is all.

My statement was intended for AG's benefit. I think you are already aware of my assessment of AG. And it's not all bad...

Sorry, old chap. Herself has been known to give me the famous deflation look because of my [no doubt bad] habit of sometimes taking what I recognize as a snappy comeback and reacting to it straight-faced as if I did not here the snap. What can I say? I am a poor man, your majesty, I will try to do better but will likely fail.

BUT - I did not let myself fly away with that "not ALL bad". One tenth of a point for THAT much self-restraint.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 12:22 am

minervx wrote:
I'm not angered by atheists, or even how vitriolic they are. It's that they keep saying the same argument thousands of times in thousands of topics. The few religious people in this community don't bother with the arguments. And all the atheists usually know most of the anti-religious arguments. So we all don't gain much from it.

Only one instance kind of pissed me off. I can understand the argument issue though. I wouldn't imagine that there is a lot to gain there though, as unless a new argument is being introduced, or a larger concern, it won't be that big.

Quote:
I agree, social conservatism is not as common on the internet as liberal-libertarian views, but this website is far more left-wing than most other communities.

Really? I am actually a little shocked. I would think we'd be considered somewhat par for the course.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 12:22 am

dionysian wrote:

Wow, not all bad. What a saint you are. :P

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 12:26 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
dionysian wrote:

I am quite magnanimous.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 7:13 am

This squabble between AG and Philogos is exactly what I am talking about.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 7:44 am

minervx wrote:
This squabble between AG and Philogos is exactly what I am talking about.

To characterize Orwell's donation of proper perspectives to Philologos' grotesque viewpoints as a squabble is to be completely unaware of the nature of sensible discourse and how proper correction should be applied to rather gross misconceptions.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 7:53 am

minervx wrote:
2. The views of this community are mostly uniform.

There is an infamous forum in the worst parts of the web, which has among other things a 'smiley' that is a flag that has the words "BS" written on it. I sometimes really miss it.

The last thing I've seen in this forum is uniform views. I think I have been in arguments with just about every one of the most prolific posters around different topics. I am yet to find two guys in this forum that agree on everything (or in more than 50% of the things).

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 8:09 am

dionysian wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
dionysian wrote:

I am quite magnanimous.

Mahatma dionysian.

It has a ring.

Almost so good like Awesomely Glorious - you should change?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 11:13 am

TallyMan wrote:
I must admit it baffles me why people continue posting the same threads stating the same positions ad-nauseum. Each to their own I suppose.

Because if printed then eventually the amount of paper, if able to be procured and assembled in one location, would produce a gravitational singularity... AND THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!! !!

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 11:18 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
I must admit it baffles me why people continue posting the same threads stating the same positions ad-nauseum. Each to their own I suppose.

Because if printed then eventually the amount of paper, if able to be procured and assembled in one location, would produce a gravitational singularity... AND THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!! !!

Also, it could have something to do with our Aspergian condition, rendering us rather repetitive and obsessive.

NTs could probably not only think of something better to do, but actually do it.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 11:21 am

pandabear wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

Also, it could have something to do with our Aspergian condition, rendering us rather repetitive and obsessive.

NTs could probably not only think of something better to do, but actually do it.

Perhaps, but NTs also tend to repeat the same junk a lot too. Especially if they're the type of person who tells stories to random strangers.