Giuliani, GOP Nominee, 2012
Possible. 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
No way. 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 7

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 6:56 pm

Completely off the radar for me until today, but I understand a CNN poll at the end of May has Giuliani edging out Romney by one point, even though Giuliani hasn't announced he's running.

And then there was a Fox Poll released this afternoon that had Giuliani 4 points behind Obama in a general election, and Romney 7 points behind Obama in a general election, although Fox had Giuliani 10 points behind Romney in a list of GOP hopefuls, but still second among contenders.

There are several sources in the news stating that Giuliani is going to run. Considering how well he's done up to this point with no announcements on his consideration in running, does it give him a chance of edging out Romney for the GOP Nomination?

He's a divorced Catholic, but is his name recognition, the fact that he's not a Mormon, and not associated with a Healthcare reform plan, enough to put him over the top for the GOP Nomination. And if so, does he have a better chance of beating Obama in a general election than Romney?

http://wonkette.com/446655/giuliani-beating-romney-in-poll-despite-not-running

http://www.scribd.com/doc/57404357/Obama-Poll

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 7:02 pm

I said no, but it's not like they've got anybody better... I mean, really.... They just don't have anybody.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 7:07 pm

If Gingrich and Santorum get to play, why not?

It's gonna be Romney. The teabaggers will hold their noses as they did with McCain before they were officially teabagging.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 7:08 pm

George H.W. Bush only completed one term as president. He could run again.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 7:09 pm

Well it seems like he dropped away rather early in 2008. I'm not sure what he has to offer.

Until he declares and offers his policy views on the economy and foreign policy I'm not really interested in him.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 7:21 pm

I would have said no way, before today, so I will stick with that opinion for now, until I learn more. It does, though, partly explain why Trump was doing so well in the Polls. Apparently, Romney has been seen as the best among poor choices so far.

Although, Giuliani is given a better chance of beating Obama than Romney in the Fox poll, I haven't seen him included in any other polls except the two links provided. I suppose, that may change soon. Judging from the results of the Fox poll, I would imagine it will have a significant impact in all the other polls, if he is added to the mix.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 7:39 pm

pandabear wrote:
George H.W. Bush only completed one term as president. He could run again.

I would have never thought of Giuliani as a real contender, but it appears it only takes name recognition to make an impact in the polls. Seriously, if HW wasn't so old, he could probably be a contender. Trump popped in, Giuliani may pop in; who else may pop in with name recognition that surprises everyone?

A name of note that was volunteered on the Fox poll was Jeb Bush, but my understanding is he won't run.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 7:49 pm

Maybe Ronald Reagan, Jr. could give it a go.

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 7:56 pm

pandabear wrote:

You know he's a Democrat, right? :D

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 7:58 pm

pandabear wrote:

Well he certainly has the name recognition, and it would be a huge surprise. But, seriously is there anyone else? I know Colin Powell won't run, and he already endorsed Obama in '08.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 8:03 pm

I think it is unlikely. He failed pretty hard in 2008, and that was after a lot of media buzz announcing him as an heir apparent to Bush.

dionysian wrote:
I mean, really.... They just don't have anybody.

True. The rumors of Bachmann's candidacy are starting to get off the ground, and a field where Bachmann is a serious contender is just plain sad.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 9:12 pm

aghogday wrote:
I know Colin Powell won't run, and he already endorsed Obama in '08.

Colin Powell switched parties anyway.

With regard to Guiliani, his main qualification in 2008 was that he was mayor of New York when 9/11 hit. That qualification means less, not more, as time passes. He might be able to wrest away some of the big money contributors Obama has locked up, I suppose.

Orwell wrote:
The rumors of Bachmann's candidacy are starting to get off the ground, and a field where Bachmann is a serious contender is just plain sad.

Almost as sad as a field where Obama was a contender, eh?

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 9:26 pm

Your poll is incomplete.

It needs a third option of merely "9/11"

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 9:33 pm

psychohist wrote:
Orwell wrote:
The rumors of Bachmann's candidacy are starting to get off the ground, and a field where Bachmann is a serious contender is just plain sad.

There is a pretty significant difference between Obama and Bachmann. Policy issues aside (since those will just be matters of opinion in many cases) Obama had more political experience, and as a Senator was more credible, than Bachmann is today. Additionally, Bachmann's a moron. As much as many people dislike Obama, I don't think any reasonable person can deny that he is at least somewhat intelligent.

2008 was a mediocre Democratic field (Hillary, Obama, Edwards) against a feeble GOP field (Romney, Huckabee, McCain, Giuliani). 2012 will put Obama against a truly pathetic GOP field. Romney is weaker now than he was in 2008, because his party has flown off into crazy land and left him sitting in the middle. Santorum couldn't even retain his own Senate seat. Gingrich is too unlikable, and has alienated the right wing. Palin and Bachmann are embarrassing idiots. Huckabee still is not strong enough to win, and he's declared he won't run anyways. Who do they have?

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 9:39 pm

Orwell wrote:
psychohist wrote:
Orwell wrote:

There is a pretty significant difference between Obama and Bachmann. Policy issues aside (since those will just be matters of opinion in many cases) Obama had more political experience, and as a Senator was more credible, than Bachmann is today. Additionally, Bachmann's a moron. As much as many people dislike Obama, I don't think any reasonable person can deny that he is at least somewhat intelligent.

2008 was a mediocre Democratic field (Hillary, Obama, Edwards) against a feeble GOP field (Romney, Huckabee, McCain, Giuliani). 2012 will put Obama against a truly pathetic GOP field. Romney is weaker now than he was in 2008, because his party has flown off into crazy land and left him sitting in the middle. Santorum couldn't even retain his own Senate seat. Gingrich is too unlikable, and has alienated the right wing. Palin and Bachmann are embarrassing idiots. Huckabee still is not strong enough to win, and he's declared he won't run anyways. Who do they have?

Who would you say is a solid Democratic presidental candidate, were they to run?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 9:50 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
Who would you say is a solid Democratic presidental candidate, were they to run?

I liked Wesley Clark back in 2004. I don't know why that dolt Kerry was nominated over a West Point valedictorian and Rhodes Scholar.