Page 11 of 18 [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2011, 9:27 pm

Unlike the other contemporary expression of popular discontent, the Tea Party movement, the Occupy Wall Street protesters are showing clear signs of veering towards violent political expression. The Occupiers, as they are now called, are happy to be arrested in the name of living up to other protest movements like the civil rights and the anti-war protests of the 1960s and 1970s. Except that unlike the protesters of the last generation, the battlements of the Occupiers are devoid of any flag of purpose beyond the rant that the good life they believe to be a birthright is beyond their grasp.

Such displays of needy greed are unwholesome and disgusting. Not unlike the hooligan students of Greece, the Occupy Wall Street protesters in effect ask for the entire system to be overturned so that they may benefit. Why pay off your debts, much less the debts of an earlier generation, if you can simply repudiate your obligations by screaming and shouting?

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 4:46 am

Zeno wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
So freedom has to= someone somewhere getting opressed basically?

It is precisely such simple mindedness that has led to the Occupy Wall Street protests and it is such thoughtlessness that will lead to social dislocation in the United States. The collective pursuit of life, liberty and happiness necessarily leads to some degree of inequality for the things which you enjoy others cannot have. But inequality is not oppression. Just because others have more does not mean that the rest have been deprived of their rights.

Have you met Shiquro Takada? Do you eat very spicy foods?

Tadzio

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 6:09 am

Many people think that serious criminal acts were perpetrated by Wall Street insiders in both the NASDAQ and real estate bubbles, and I am one of those who believe that very serious crimes were committed. Unlike the general public though, I have personal experience in dealing with serious financial crimes. Like everyone else, I want these crimes exposed and the criminals prosecuted. But justice can never be achieved if the people choose to remain ignorant. What hope is there for the truth if the American people base their critique of the financial system on the documentary “Inside Job”; which was funded by George Soros and purports to be the definitive account of the financial collapse of 2007/8.

Thus misinformed the useful idiots charge on. If they had but once mentioned how puzzling it is that Lehman Brothers collapsed the way it did, I would respect them more because they would be really on to something. Or if they would question how the Obama administration should try so very hard to resurrect the very same shadow banking system that had brought the country to the brink of disaster, I would reappraise my judgment of them. Alas, they just to vent, they do not want to think.

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 6:28 pm

They are finally going to clear out the Occupy Wall Street protesters. Some of these spoilt brats are not going to take it well.

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 1:14 am

Quote:
“We will continue to defend and guarantee their free speech rights, but those rights do not include the ability to infringe on the rights of others,” Bloomberg spokesman Marc La Vorgna said, “which is why the rules governing the park will be enforced.”

Protesters say the only way they will leave is by force. Organizers sent out a mass email asking supporters to “defend the occupation from eviction.”

“We are doubling up on our determination to stay here as a result of this,” said 26-year-old Sophie Mascia, a Queens resident who has been living in Zuccotti Park for three weeks and intends to sleep there Friday night. “I think this is only going to strengthen our movement.”

The show down which looms neatly illustrates how the freedom of one invariably bumps against the freedom of others. The protesters very clearly want to take property that does not belong to them with the use of force if necessary. And to think that they are protesting against greed and criminality. :D

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 5:22 am

Give a definite date to within three months, when the riots will begin. OWS is not a riot. It is a pain in the butt.

ruveyn

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 6:17 am

Don't be silly, no one can give you a definitive date. But from the looks of things, the breakdown I have been talking about will happen in the near future. They have postponed the "cleansing" of Zuccotti Park because passions are running very high. The protesters are bracing for violence and even prepping for it. They are definitely not going to leave peacefully. Certainly the police in other places like Seattle and Los Angeles where memories of riots are still fresh are on high alert. It will not take much for the situation to explode. Like I said, there are people who want the riots to happen. Imagine looting Nordstroms or Saks...

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 10:08 am

I'd say it's holding pretty well, since your first post dates back from June 2011 and your predictions have yet to realize themselves. =/

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 10:10 am

Zeno wrote:
Don't be silly, no one can give you a definitive date. But from the looks of things, the breakdown I have been talking about will happen in the near future. They have postponed the "cleansing" of Zuccotti Park because passions are running very high. The protesters are bracing for violence and even prepping for it. They are definitely not going to leave peacefully. Certainly the police in other places like Seattle and Los Angeles where memories of riots are still fresh are on high alert. It will not take much for the situation to explode. Like I said, there are people who want the riots to happen. Imagine looting Nordstroms or Saks...

The "near future"? At ANY given time the near future is an hour away. That is not a prediction.

Someday my prince and my riot will come.

ruveyn

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 6:45 pm

Violence of some sort is vital if Occupy Wall Street is to legitimize itself. If protesters disband and leave Zuccotti Park simply because they were told to do so or because of deteriorating conditions as winter approaches, then everything they have done would have been a meaningless sham. Protest movements need to claim persecution and oppression in order to sustain and solidify interest; especially for groups like Occupy Wall Street which have no discernible ideology or leader that allows participants to coalesce around. They need to make it seem that they are getting beaten up because the maltreatment will automatically allow them to claim the moral high ground. Only with violence can Occupy Wall Street hope to endure.

The authorities have decided to allow the protesters to stay where they are for the time being. It is hoped that cold weather in the coming weeks will send people home. But having already put the self styled activists on high alert with threats of eviction from what really is private property, the justifying foundation for “defensive violence” by the extremists within the group has already been laid. It will be interesting to see if the punks leave quietly. I doubt that they will because some of these people really do believe that capitalism has not only failed, it is actually evil. And since capitalism arises directly from precepts of freedom and the rule of law, anyone who believes that capitalism should be gotten rid of will see no reason to respect the freedoms of others or to obey the laws that guard the rights and properties of the capitalists. In other words, I think that it is likely that they will riot.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 6:59 pm

Zeno wrote:
Violence of some sort is vital if Occupy Wall Street is to legitimize itself. If protesters disband and leave Zuccotti Park simply because they were told to do so or because of deteriorating conditions as winter approaches, then everything they have done would have been a meaningless sham. Protest movements need to claim persecution and oppression in order to sustain and solidify interest; especially for groups like Occupy Wall Street which have no discernible ideology or leader that allows participants to coalesce around. They need to make it seem that they are getting beaten up because the maltreatment will automatically allow them to claim the moral high ground. Only with violence can Occupy Wall Street hope to endure.

The authorities have decided to allow the protesters to stay where they are for the time being. It is hoped that cold weather in the coming weeks will send people home. But having already put the self styled activists on high alert with threats of eviction from what really is private property, the justifying foundation for “defensive violence” by the extremists within the group has already been laid. It will be interesting to see if the punks leave quietly. I doubt that they will because some of these people really do believe that capitalism has not only failed, it is actually evil. And since capitalism arises directly from precepts of freedom and the rule of law, anyone who believes that capitalism should be gotten rid of will see no reason to respect the freedoms of others or to obey the laws that guard the rights and properties of the capitalists. In other words, I think that it is likely that they will riot.

You are projecting way too much on the protestors. Most are very peaceful people who have legitimate concerns and complaints about the corruption of their government. I'm not sure where you're getting your wild fantasies from, but the reaction to the park's condition that I saw was a clean-up effort by the protestors themselves.

They don't want trouble, they want true representation.

Tomorrow, OWS goes global. Anti-corporatism =/= anti-capitalism. Anything too big to fail is too big to exist. This problem is not unique to America.

http://news.yahoo.com/wall-street-sit-g ... 59242.html

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 7:40 pm

http://occupywallst.org/article/ows-vic ... obal-day-/
quote:

Quote:
The crowd cheered at the news that multinational real estate firm Brookfield Properties will postpone its so-called “cleanup” of the park and that Mayor Bloomberg has told the NYPD to stand down on orders to remove protesters.
...The early morning announcement from the Mayor’s office in New York came after 300,000+ Americans signed petitions to stop the eviction, and flooded the 311 phone network in solidarity with those in Liberty Square. At 6 AM this morning, 3,000+ New Yorkers, unions, students, and others joined the occupiers in the square to send a clear message to the 1% who want to silence this peaceful assembly of the 99%. Donations poured into the protesters from Italy, England, Mexico and many other countries by everyday people hoping to help the movement grow.

ha ha!

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 6:00 am

number5 wrote:
You are projecting way too much on the protestors. Most are very peaceful people who have legitimate concerns and complaints about the corruption of their government. I'm not sure where you're getting your wild fantasies from, but the reaction to the park's condition that I saw was a clean-up effort by the protestors themselves.

Without the incitement of violence, Occupy Wall Street will peter out and become a sour joke. Movements that claim to represent just morality tend not to inflict violence on others first but to provoke attack from their opponents instead and then use the injury they suffer as proof of persecution. The sense of injustice and the need to defend against a larger and more powerful aggressor allows the movement to close ranks and take shape as people are inspired to be selfless for the benefit of the greater good and a just cause. The Indian independence, anti-Apartheid, free Tibet and free Burma movements, which claimed varying degrees of non-violence, can be seen in this light. In fact, the development of the Jesus movement was almost entirely dependent on such tactics in its early days.

Like in Egypt, Tunisia or Syria, I expect that it will be the authorities that will move first to clear out the Occupy Wall Street protesters because at some point the continuing presence of large groups of protesters becomes such a public nuisance that it is intolerable. When that happens, there will be those in the movement who will see a provocative reaction to the government’s benign actions as an opportunity to inject coherence to an otherwise unwieldy group. No one needs to issue an order. Such ideas are deeply embedded into human nature.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 4:19 pm

Zeno wrote:
number5 wrote:

Without the incitement of violence, Occupy Wall Street will peter out and become a sour joke. Movements that claim to represent just morality tend not to inflict violence on others first but to provoke attack from their opponents instead and then use the injury they suffer as proof of persecution. The sense of injustice and the need to defend against a larger and more powerful aggressor allows the movement to close ranks and take shape as people are inspired to be selfless for the benefit of the greater good and a just cause. The Indian independence, anti-Apartheid, free Tibet and free Burma movements, which claimed varying degrees of non-violence, can be seen in this light. In fact, the development of the Jesus movement was almost entirely dependent on such tactics in its early days.

I am curious: do you see this as a legitimate or illegitimate tactic?

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 6:43 pm

It is not a question of legitimacy but that of efficacy. It works because everyone has had to deal with bullies in their life. When the aggressor is seen as powerful and overwhelming while the victim is weak but courageous, people will instinctively seek to protect the victim because subconsciously they see it as a way of protecting themselves. The outpouring of support when news spread of impending eviction from Zuccotti Park is an example of how short circuiting the emotional wires of people can create popular support for a movement that actually still does not know what it stands for.

Whether or not it is justified to use such tactics would depend on your view of the social system you live in. The early Christians, who saw themselves as God's people and viewed the world in apocalyptic terms, did not accept the legitimacy of the Roman system of governance. Using such tactics to garner further sympathy and support was to them entirely justified as Jesus had clearly delivered himself into the hands of his would be persecutors and then provoked them through outrageous acts. Those who believe that the present system of corporatism or capitalism needs to be done away with would likewise feel justified in winning public support by inviting self injury, like the many that have already been arrested attest to, because corporations and capital transactions are fundamental to how modern society is organized. If you see the world as so rotten that it needs to be uprooted and reorganized from the ground up, then getting fed to the lions, burnt at the stake, crucifixion or even strapping bombs to your body becomes a small price for an individual to pay to realize the greater good.

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran