Page 6 of 18 [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 10:58 am

John_Browning wrote:
marshall wrote:
Austerity is just punishment for the countries failure to live within it's means. Never mind the fact that it's primarily the poorest and weakest who get f**** over the hardest as punishment for the over-indulgence of the middle and upper classes.

Question: Did you ever play chutes and ladders as a kid?

Your point?

psych
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 1:59 pm

Dox47 wrote:
When are these damn riots beginning? These threads keep teasing me with the possibility, then nothing happens. Is there like an RSVP for these things, is it impolite to bring my own molotov cocktails, I means what's the etiquette here?

posted moments before violence blossomed over london.

this is all your fault!! :evil:

you jinxed us! :lol:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 10:25 pm

marshall wrote:
Zeno wrote:
Perhaps the most important lesson to be learnt from the London riots which have been going on for the last three days is that the police simply cannot cope with mass events of this scale. If enough outbreaks occur, then the overwhelmed police will be forced to choose where and when they make a stand. Unless you live in what the authorities regard as high value areas, you are on your own. If the same thing happens in America, and I believe that it will, it will not be gangs of youths with sticks and stones rampaging down the street, but a structured and experienced militia with powerful weapons that kill. Even if the military, overstretched as it is with multiple commitments overseas, were to be called in, there is little they can do unless lethal force is authorized against citizens. And killing your own citizens on a mass scale is perhaps the fastest way to lose legitimacy and spark the bonfire that burns down the foundation of the state.

Buy a gun and learn how to use it. I recommend the AK-47 for reasons that I have already stated. Under the circumstances, it pays to be prepared.

Nah. It seems most right-wingers who are more likely to own guns are going to welcome rather than angrily riot about an impending economic collapse. Right-wing Americans seem to like suffering and injustice. It gives them a massive Ayn Rand hard-on. Austerity is just punishment for the countries failure to live within it's means. Never mind the fact that it's primarily the poorest and weakest who get f**** over the hardest as punishment for the over-indulgence of the middle and upper classes. Anyways, the bottom line is right-wing Americans are too stupid and soulless to consider the idea of armed insurrection. It's more likely they'll go on a rampage killing Mexicans and inner-city blacks who they scapegoat for all their problems. Right-wingers have a big hard-on for victim blaming.

I don't have time right now to pick apart you're entire post just now but just for the sake of argument could you give examples of this enjoyment of suffering and injustice?
Preferably something contemporary and rational.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 1:08 am

Raptor wrote:
marshall wrote:
Zeno wrote:
Perhaps the most important lesson to be learnt from the London riots which have been going on for the last three days is that the police simply cannot cope with mass events of this scale. If enough outbreaks occur, then the overwhelmed police will be forced to choose where and when they make a stand. Unless you live in what the authorities regard as high value areas, you are on your own. If the same thing happens in America, and I believe that it will, it will not be gangs of youths with sticks and stones rampaging down the street, but a structured and experienced militia with powerful weapons that kill. Even if the military, overstretched as it is with multiple commitments overseas, were to be called in, there is little they can do unless lethal force is authorized against citizens. And killing your own citizens on a mass scale is perhaps the fastest way to lose legitimacy and spark the bonfire that burns down the foundation of the state.

Buy a gun and learn how to use it. I recommend the AK-47 for reasons that I have already stated. Under the circumstances, it pays to be prepared.

Nah. It seems most right-wingers who are more likely to own guns are going to welcome rather than angrily riot about an impending economic collapse. Right-wing Americans seem to like suffering and injustice. It gives them a massive Ayn Rand hard-on. Austerity is just punishment for the countries failure to live within it's means. Never mind the fact that it's primarily the poorest and weakest who get f**** over the hardest as punishment for the over-indulgence of the middle and upper classes. Anyways, the bottom line is right-wing Americans are too stupid and soulless to consider the idea of armed insurrection. It's more likely they'll go on a rampage killing Mexicans and inner-city blacks who they scapegoat for all their problems. Right-wingers have a big hard-on for victim blaming.

I don't have time right now to pick apart you're entire post just now but just for the sake of argument could you give examples of this enjoyment of suffering and injustice?

Conservatives see order and parsimony as a greater moral imperative than justice/fairness or the prevention of harm/suffering. This is why conservatives are so much more concerned with balanced budgets, "simplifying" or shrinking government programs, etc..., even at the expense of the downtrodden who might be up s**t creek without a paddle for no fault of their own. It's all about order, numbers, balance. Real people are only of secondary concern.

Okay, maybe conservatives don't get enjoyment out of suffering and injustice. It's more like conservatives simply have a massive blind spot. They don't see it, and when they do see it they find a way to blame the victim. Misfortune only happens to "irresponsible" people in the conservative mindset. :wall:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 1:53 am

psych wrote:

You can count on me to never even think about abusing this power...

Now when are these riots in America scheduled for? Especially the ones in Chicago, NYC, DC, and perhaps SF; I'd hate to miss out because I forgot to RSVP or something.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 2:08 am

marshall wrote:
Raptor wrote:
marshall wrote:
Zeno wrote:

Conservatives see order and parsimony as a greater moral imperative than justice/fairness or the prevention of harm/suffering. This is why conservatives are so much more concerned with balanced budgets, "simplifying" or shrinking government programs, etc..., even at the expense of the downtrodden who might be up sh** creek without a paddle for no fault of their own. It's all about order, numbers, balance. Real people are only of secondary concern.

Okay, maybe conservatives don't get enjoyment out of suffering and injustice. It's more like conservatives simply have a massive blind spot. They don't see it, and when they do see it they find a way to blame the victim. Misfortune only happens to "irresponsible" people in the conservative mindset. :wall:

We are against large government and have problems with entitlement programs for the simple reason that we think these entitlement programs does nothing more than make people dependent on Government.

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 2:46 am

Dox47 wrote:
psych wrote:

You can count on me to never even think about abusing this power...

Now when are these riots in America scheduled for? Especially the ones in Chicago, NYC, DC, and perhaps SF; I'd hate to miss out because I forgot to RSVP or something.

Your timing was impeccable. :wink: All of the cities you mentioned are likely to experience major disturbances. But are you sure you want to be there when it happens? Events in Britain might lead some to believe that these riots are an opportunity to engage in a free for all grab at all the stuff you ever wanted but could not afford to buy. That is in Britain though where gun ownership is against the law. In the United States, when the outbreaks happen, the looters will be packing serious heat. And if you get in their way, they will not hesitate to kill you.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 2:59 am

Zeno wrote:
Your timing was impeccable. :wink: All of the cities you mentioned are likely to experience major disturbances. But are you sure you want to be there when it happens? Events in Britain might lead some to believe that these riots are an opportunity to engage in a free for all grab at all the stuff you ever wanted but could not afford to buy. That is in Britain though where gun ownership is against the law. In the United States, when the outbreaks happen, the looters will be packing serious heat. And if you get in their way, they will not hesitate to kill you.

First of all, I live on a small island outside Seattle and picked those places because I don't like their city leaders personally, though I wasn't really being serious there. Secondly, you do know that I'm a gunsmith, right? That I'm personally sitting on a small arsenal of firearms, ammunition, and the machinery required to make "modifications" to them, or even build new ones from scratch? I hate to get into ITG territory here, but I doubt the average gangbanger could find my island on a map, let alone catch a ferry here, and if they did manage to get here somehow and start trouble, I doubt it's the kind that 300 grains of suppressed lead at about 1000fps couldn't handle. Think something along the lines of a Delisle carbine, appropriately modernized of course, though I do have an AK, among other things, if I were to need it. I'm not even unique here either, someone tried their hand at home invasion robbery on the 4th of July, and got shot down in the street trying to carjack a getaway car after being chased out of the home. Remember that the armed thing cuts both ways.

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 5:10 am

An island in Puget Sound? Yeah, you are pretty much safe. The New York Times said it was the sort of place that lost souls gathered. But hey, I am on the spectrum so I guess that pretty much describes me. I would love to live on a sparsely populated island in Puget Sound.

Of course I knew that you were being facetious about wanting an invite. But after the last four nights in Britain, no one thinks this topic is crazy anymore. It is just a matter of time before the same thing happens in America. All that is needed is some grainy footage of the police beating some Black or Latino kid and before you know it Youtube servers crash and we have a full on riot on our hands. I wonder what Barack Obama will do? My guess is that he will refuse to do anything and everyone will get angry with him.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 9:03 am

Quote:
you do know that I'm a gunsmith, right? That I'm personally sitting on a small arsenal of firearms, ammunition, and the machinery required to make "modifications" to them, or even build new ones from scratch

Quote:
I live on a small island outside Seattle

Read you loud and clear. When the riots start, all WPers shall make for Dox47's safe haven. :wink:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 7:39 pm

marshall wrote:
Raptor wrote:
marshall wrote:
Zeno wrote:

Conservatives see order and parsimony as a greater moral imperative than justice/fairness or the prevention of harm/suffering. This is why conservatives are so much more concerned with balanced budgets, "simplifying" or shrinking government programs, etc..., even at the expense of the downtrodden who might be up sh** creek without a paddle for no fault of their own. It's all about order, numbers, balance. Real people are only of secondary concern.

You can have a balanced budget and simplified government programs AND help the downtrodden at the same time. I don’t see how a balanced budget could hurt the downtrodden, anyway. Even in the best of economic times there are plenty of downtrodden and some (not all) of them won’t lift a finger to improve their lot even when they can. This is something YOU seem to be blind to.
I support and always will support maintaining a social safety net but not a social safety hammock.
Being on the dole for life is neither conductive to wellbeing or self-respect.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 7:40 pm

Raptor wrote:

You can have a balanced budget and simplified government programs AND help the downtrodden at the same time. I don’t see how a balanced budget could hurt the downtrodden, anyway. Even in the best of economic times there are plenty of downtrodden and some (not all) of them won’t lift a finger to improve their lot even when they can. This is something YOU seem to be blind to.
I support and always will support maintaining a social safety net but not a social safety hammock.

We could have that if we cut our military expenses to the bone and eliminate some do-nothing government departments, such as the department of education.

ruveyn

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 8:59 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Raptor wrote:

We could have that if we cut our military expenses to the bone and eliminate some do-nothing government departments, such as the department of education.

ruveyn

Our military expenses were cut to the bone before both world wars. I don’t want to see that costly mistake made again. Remember, WWI was supposed to be the war to end all wars.
Aside from that it’s a lot more of a govern role to provide a military than it is provide social services, especially to those who abuse them…..

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 9:40 pm

Raptor wrote:

Don't twist my words. I'm talking about people who truly CANNOT find work, people who have a CHRONIC ILLNESS they cannot afford to treat, etc... NOT people with no obsticles who simply don't want to work. You're not going to tell me with a straight face that cutting programs like medicaid will not affect these people negatively? If you say cuts are only going to affect lazy people who refuse to work you are a bald faced liar.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 9:52 pm

marshall wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Don't twist my words. I'm talking about people who truly CANNOT find work, people who have a CHRONIC ILLNESS they cannot afford to treat, etc... NOT people with no obsticles who simply don't want to work. You're not going to tell me with a straight face that cutting programs like medicaid will not affect these people negatively? If you say cuts are only going to affect lazy people who refuse to work you are a bald faced liar.

You can't save everyone! Maybe if the US were the size of Luxembourg we could but not a country of this size and population not to mention the ever fluctuating economy. I never said that everyone on relief was lazy I clearly said that some and not all so don't twist MY words.
I can see it's no use discussing this further with you because you've already made your mind up that 2+2=3.
Time to move on...........

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 10:02 pm

Raptor wrote:
marshall wrote:
Raptor wrote:

You can't save everyone! Maybe if the US were the size of Luxembourg we could but not a country of this size and population not to mention the ever fluctuating economy. I never said that everyone on relief was lazy I clearly said that some and not all so don't twist MY words.
I can see it's no use discussing this further with you because you've already made your mind up that 2+2=3.
Time to move on...........

You are correct that I will never accept your opinion that people are expendable. If you weren't trying to twist my words why didn't you notice where I said "through no fault of their own" and drop the mention of "lazy people".