Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Fishhook
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jun 2011, 3:34 pm

They're both always watching you
They both know when you've been naughty or nice
They both reward you when you're good and both have fire related punishments when you're bad (God has hell, and Santa will give you lumps of coal)
They're both rumored to live in the upward direction (heaven/north pole)
They both have helpers that live with them (angels/elves)

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 3:36 pm

No.

I thought we had moved past most of that kind of post.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 4:14 pm

i compared jesus to santa claus in an artistic representation of christianity for my R.E class when I was 13. my teacher was not impressed...

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 4:19 pm

Contrary to what your elementary school teacher might have told you... There are, in fact, stupid questions.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

BurntOutMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 4:33 pm

This is kind of funny. My son is almost 10 and I have tried very hard to not impress my god beliefs/disbeliefs on him. When he asks me a god-based question, I answer along the lines of "Well, some people believe 'this'. Some believe 'that'." And give him every possible answer I can, then ask him what makes sense to him.

Anyway, sometimes, when he feels moved to pray.. (which he does not get from me) I've discovered he prays to Santa.... even though he now knows that I am Santa... I'm not sure what this means... If he's "praying" because someone, somewhere has impressed upon him that this is what he should do...? And somehow Santa is the "face" he's given his god..... *shrug*

I find it odd, and comical.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 4:38 pm

little children don't have patience and could care less about heaven and hell at the end of their lifetime: they can't really think beyond a few days ahead so an entire lifetime is out of the question. So incorporate it into the end of the season as a treat for ethical behavior throughout the entire year (and the year, as long as it may be for a child, is a microcosm of an entire lifetime) - or at least that was the principle. Just as heaven and hell is a tool for getting people to behave ethically in this lifetime for the rewards and punishment that await them in the next, perhaps santa clause serves the same purpose for children.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 8:34 pm

A lot of people - including one very special very smart / eddicated friend - would prefer to think of God as Santa Claus. Not even as Saint Nicholas.

Some - even inside religious organizations - that you might expect to know better prefer to think of God that way.

Ah well. You should see the list of things people have mistaken me for.