Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 7:34 am

brace yourselves

I got to thinking that all people who follow a religion may not be so bad.

I started thinking of this due to the rash of stereotype aspie posts (so all aspies have this?) posts lately. Having asperger's, I may be guilty of that too in my little fields of interest. "People who follow football are fat, loud-mouth drunks" (this is an anti-science fiction thing because it's okay to paint yourself the colors of a team and wave foam fingers and wear silly hats but it's not okay to dress as a vulcan) and, "people who follow any kind of religion are dumb" and, "people who go to bars are low-lifes." because I don't drink.

Maybe I'm doing the same thing as people who believe that eye color ans asperger's is related. Maybe people who follow religion aren't all so messed up in the head. Maybe all bar-goers aren't all hooligans.

I'm not saying I'm converting to anything. Just saying that folks who follow religion can be smart and decent and whatnot. The bible and other books make no sense to me and never will. The Fountain - that movie with in the bubble with Hugh Jackman and the tree of life didn't make any sense to me either but I still don't want to be enemies with people who do like the movie.

I encourage you to take my path of disbelief but I'll still like you or be your friend if you choose to take a different path.

just sharing a revelation. Thanks for reading.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 8:04 am

If you have identified the primitive Green Monkey phenomenon and the obstacles it places in the path toward a higher, better humanity, that is a beginning of wisdom.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 8:16 am

I respect your realization, and I especially admire that you have applied it to many preferences. I hope that people can reach the point where this moves from high level maturity into common understanding.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 8:55 am

MasterJedi wrote:

I'm not saying I'm converting to anything. Just saying that folks who follow religion can be smart and decent and whatnot. The bible and other books make no sense to me and never will. The Fountain - that movie with in the bubble with Hugh Jackman and the tree of life didn't make any sense to me either but I still don't want to be enemies with people who do like the movie.

Religion and decency are orthogonal. Religious extremism and decency are not.

ruveyn

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 10:43 am

ruveyn wrote:
MasterJedi wrote:

Religion and decency are orthogonal. Religious extremism and decency are not.

ruveyn

Be so good, you rewrite Extremism and decency. Saves words, better approximates truth.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 10:48 am

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know what orthogonal and the green monkey phenomenon are.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 11:08 am

I will let ruveyn do orthogonal - he brought it up.

The Green Monkey - I use the term a lot - left over from a story long ago read that may or may not have a basis in truth, I barely understand human behavior let alone other primates.

The claim is - if you paint a monkey green the others will attack the DIFFERENT monkey. I have been a Green Monkey all my life and it isd totally clear to me how the Green Monkey principle underlies racial - national - linguistic - sexual - religious and other attacks.

Including my distaste for and distrust of people who pronounce English "two" the wrong way - those who ARE Green Monkeys pretty well always have Green Monkeys of their own.