An article, about..you know it, gay marriage, but more..

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 12:20 pm

I like the law. Exemption included. I hope more states and countries (including mine) follow the steps.

Seriously, if you are a gay person why would you want to be married by a Church that hates gay people? I am pretty sure there will be churches that will give Gay marriage as the law is now approved and then you can have your bell and whistles. The most bigoted sects won't (of course), but that's great because it will help us sort them out.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 2:18 pm

chrissyrun wrote:
Well, if he knows, then why is he making a fit about it? Because secretly he wants to change it, when he knows it is wrong.

It is not wrong to want to be equal somewhere, he even said it would be wrong to force something like that on others. It seems to me you are trying to demonize this man's feelings, you're just going to come off looking like a jacka$$ he's done nothing wrong and espoused nothing morally questionable.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 7:17 pm

WilliamWDelaney wrote:
The Episcopal Church allows gay people to marry. They're a bunch of liberal extremists, aren't they?

Note: Whiskeypal...I mean, Episcopaleans have long been known as "God's Frozen People," and they have tended to be proud of this moniker.

They are allowed to be pastors in ELCA Lutheran denominations. ELCA hasn't said one way or the other about letting them marry, though.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 2:47 pm

chrissyrun wrote:
Well, if he knows, then why is he making a fit about it? Because secretly he wants to change it, when he knows it is wrong.

Do you have a window into men's souls? How do you know what he secretly wants?

Why is it that his disappointment that his church will not affirm the validity of his love for another man weighs more heavily with you, than his affirmation to seeking to change churches' beliefs would be wrong?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 9:44 pm

John_Browning wrote:
Quote:
Marriage without a church or temple wedding isn't going to be the real thing. Why can some people have all the bells and whistles in the church of their choice but not me? Of course, there have been and will be congregations and churches that allow gay men and lesbians to be married in their midst and to bless those unions, recognizing that God loves them just as much as Governor Andrew Cuomo does. But some rich and influential religious institutions are not only free to continue to reject gay men and women as equal beneficiaries of all aspects of faith but will now rally their congregants to reject politicians who are willing to abide with this extension of secular civil rights — no matter how much acceptance there is of same-sex marriage elsewhere, no matter how many wedding announcements appear in the New York Times.

I write this as a deeply religious Christian who is pained that the church that otherwise provides me with so much spiritual comfort and joy will never allow me to marry within its walls. Some clerics may be "liberal" enough to turn a blind eye to gay relationships so long as they do not have to recognize them, much less grant them any kind of imprimatur. And, as of now, even in New York, religious institutions cannot be compelled to perform such a simple act of charity.

The state cannot force a church to change its beliefs. Even gay people realize that is wrong. And so, just to remind folks that we're here we will have to continue to march in our parades and to sing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." Nonetheless, waking up this morning, I was very happy not to be in Kansas anymore.[/u]

Quote:
The annoying part is highlighthed.

The truth is bolded.

Even if New York did not include a provision to permit churches to excluded gays, it still would have been legal under the federal case law Boy Scouts of America v. Dale. Private organizations are free to choose who they want to allow in. Different religions have different rules, but for Christianity, you cannot be a Christian and gay at the same time. The Bible is specific not to keep company with people that try to be both gay and Christian. Rather than trying to create a thought crime by trying to change core doctrine, gays are free under the 1st amendment to find a [apostate] church that accepts them, or create a whole new [apostate] church, find a new religion, or even create a new religion.

Please provide a book, chapter, and verse where it says in the Bible that says Christians should not keep company with gay Christians.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer