Chatting during a performance 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Obscenity and blasphemy 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Publishing junk science 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 31

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 5:39 pm

Free speech, free country? free world! we're all slaves to the system, censored, controlled, monitored, left right and center! i'm not about those that are up to no good and do wrong, i'm on about everyone

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 5:59 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
If it's seriously that difficult to not talk that way when you are mad and in a heated argument, you've got bigger issues.

My kids sure had no problems not talking that way anymore when we told them to stop and explained why. Even it wasn't hard for me to stop saying "I am gonna kill her" as a phrase.

As adults, we teach our kids to not talk this way. We don't want them getting into their teens and saying it at school or saying it in their adult hood and then they have the cops called on them. Or what if someone was vulnerable when they said it, don't want to face any charges and having to prove there was no intent behind their words to be found not guilty and be free. Not worth the trouble and stress.

Good for you. That is a very good way to approach the world. :heart:

But figures of speech, while plot devices in movies, are really not taken seriously IRL.

Tell that to my student teacher in 6th grade and to my school staff. They were so concerned when I was saying things like "I wish I can throw her off a cliff" when ranting about my student teacher because she was always losing our assignments and marking them as missing.

And there was another time when I was having a breakdown saying "I am gonna kill her" and I was serious but I meant it as a figure of speech.

I was simply taught to take this stuff seriously and I can't talk this way anymore due to school shootings out there and I was being shown articles about kids being suspended from school for talking this way as well.

I also remember another story I was told in junior high how some middle school kid outside of Missoula, Montana was in a chat room and he said as a joke "you better watch out or people will come an bomb your village" and someone called the FBI and not too long later, they busted in his home and arrested him for a threat.

Yeesh, were all these adults lying to me or were they really this stupid and I was gullible?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 6:09 pm

"Inciting to riot" is already a criminal offense in most, if not all, locales.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 6:19 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Imagine some crusty old curmudgeon whose only response to any polite statement is a heart-felt "Drop Dead".

"Good morning, Mr. Strawman!"
"Drop Dead!"

"How are you today, Mr. Strawman?"
"Drop Dead!"

"Have a nice day, Mr. Strawman!"
"Drop Dead!"

One day, Mr. Strawman is arrested for murder because he was seen and heard telling someone to "drop dead", and that particular someone later went home and killed himself.

How many years in prison should Mr. Strawman receive as his sentence?

Well, it is obviously Mr. Strawman's fallacy...

Maybe he will be cellmates with Mr. Notruescotsman! :lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 7:15 pm

Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Imagine some crusty old curmudgeon whose only response to any polite statement is a heart-felt "Drop Dead".

"Good morning, Mr. Strawman!"
"Drop Dead!"

"How are you today, Mr. Strawman?"
"Drop Dead!"

"Have a nice day, Mr. Strawman!"
"Drop Dead!"

One day, Mr. Strawman is arrested for murder because he was seen and heard telling someone to "drop dead", and that particular someone later went home and killed himself.

How many years in prison should Mr. Strawman receive as his sentence?
Lol the analogy is funny as hell. It's almost like a jury will think the cases is really stupid and decide to reach not guilty verdicts. Many more years later when curmudgeon junior is charged with the same crimes the case of the original crusty curmudgeon and it's verdict is brought up in court and once again he is acquitted. It then becomes common law and is referred to in many more cases around the country and many more not guilty verdicts. Eventually the laws that originally charged the very first curmudgeon are scrapped and put in the bin for good because juries no longer care about what the law says in such circumstances.
Finally, somebody gets it!

Thanks!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.